Stab in the dark 2023

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Another episode, again... can;t see a single difference in any board
I kept watching for Brazo birds wearing bangers on the beach.

ps: random musing: Is Hayden the sharper with the worst SITD record ("waste of a tailpad by jordy, never made it through any round?), yet one of the best selling shapers - tells you the difference between the everyman, and the pro.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I watched all 3 episodes. Personally I try to watch each one as they come out. I binge watched Mason and Coco’s Electric Acid series and it was too much for one sitting. Everything mashed together and it was hard to see which boars stood out.

Most surfers are going to surf how they surf unless you put them on a log compared to a shortboar. Italo surfs each boar the same because that’s how he surfs. But I could tell just by his body language which boars he wasn’t feeling.

He surfed best on the boars that made the finals. I think the CI is going to win.

I like that he used the same fins for each boar besides the Mayhem. Read an interview with Simon Anderson and he said when working on new designs he uses the same set of fins in each iteration because he wants to know what each tweak are doing to the designs and changing fins will also cause a different feel.

I don’t like that it’s PU/PE vs EPS/Epoxy. Adding another variable besides just the design of the boar. I feel for the shapers that had their boars creased only cause that happened to a Tokoro on Jack Robinson’s SITD.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
CI Pro with relaxed nose and tail rocker, talking less that 1/8" on both = CI 2.Pro.

With surfing at this level that curve change does make a big difference. How that 1/8" less curve is placed in the rocker is determined by a year's worth of constant tour level feedback.

Meaning it's not just a stab in the dark .... errrrrr
Man, that sounds like a good time. Hope we can order something like that in the near future. So far the CI looking the best.

The Pyzel looked pretty good too in a very Pyzel kind of way. Nice to see them come out with something new/promising. Modified Radius perhaps? A little less rocker, a little bit more nose width?

I thought the Lost looked good too but the driver always looks good in the SITD. Given the breadth of the lost team and how long they've been working on that shape, I'd bet it's the single best-performing/most versatile shape on the bench year over year.

Only on episode 2 now.

Reactions: trevorbc and Aruka

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I watched all 3 episodes. Personally I try to watch each one as they come out. I binge watched Mason and Coco’s Electric Acid series and it was too much for one sitting. Everything mashed together and it was hard to see which boars stood out.

Most surfers are going to surf how they surf unless you put them on a log compared to a shortboar. Italo surfs each boar the same because that’s how he surfs. But I could tell just by his body language which boars he wasn’t feeling.

He surfed best on the boars that made the finals. I think the CI is going to win.

I like that he used the same fins for each boar besides the Mayhem. Read an interview with Simon Anderson and he said when working on new designs he uses the same set of fins in each iteration because he wants to know what each tweak are doing to the designs and changing fins will also cause a different feel.

I don’t like that it’s PU/PE vs EPS/Epoxy. Adding another variable besides just the design of the boar. I feel for the shapers that had their boars creased only cause that happened to a Tokoro on Jack Robinson’s SITD.
One variable that is almost never talked about is fin placement- placement, toe and cant. Those can have huge impacts. Maybe thrusters are all standardized now? 3-1/4 and 11, 6 degrees and 3/16? I wouldn't know. fof example I've never heard Noel Salsa say anything about toe or cant. Board manufacturers never mention it. Secret sauce?

Reactions: teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
One variable that is almost never talked about is fin placement- placement, toe and cant. Those can have huge impacts. Maybe thrusters are all standardized now? 3-1/4 and 11, 6 degrees and 3/16? I wouldn't know. fof example I've never heard Noel Salsa say anything about toe or cant. Board manufacturers never mention it. Secret sauce?
Italo rides Futures. The cant is manufactured into the fin.

FCS the plugs have different cant angles.

I remember I posted a Vesso boar review and from the picture Griffin could tell the toe in was 1/4 less than standard. When I measured it he was spot on. I asked Kerry Tokoro about it and he said that I turn hard and need more control which the lesser toe in would help with. I think I surprised him that I noticed. I didn’t and wouldn’t cause I trust my shapers. But Griffin spotted right away. Haha.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I was under the impression the thruster shortboard standard was 9 degrees of cant?