Stab in the dark 2023

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I enjoyed watching Italo surfing. I'm sure the CI felt great to him, but I couldn't tell from the waves he was riding.

Overall, not the best SITD, but still highly watchable IMO.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I enjoyed watching Italo surfing. I'm sure the CI felt great to him, but I couldn't tell from the waves he was riding.

Overall, not the best SITD, but still highly watchable IMO.
There were likable bits, especially Britt's response to being told, that was pure gold. The actual manufacturers being revealed to Italo also made me chuckle - but that was about the sum of the entertainment for me.

Reactions: Hazrus

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I give italo a lot more credit after the SITD conclusion and Surf Ranch…. I rolled my eyes when he was complaining about bad judging hurting his career in an earlier SITD ep. But then Surf Ranch happened, and he got absolutely effed.

he also seemed extremely grateful at the end of the show, and gave all the shapers tons Of props.

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I give italo a lot more credit after the SITD conclusion and Surf Ranch…. I rolled my eyes when he was complaining about bad judging hurting his career in an earlier SITD ep. But then Surf Ranch happened, and he got absolutely effed.

he also seemed extremely grateful at the end of the show, and gave all the shapers tons Of props.
Yeah, he was absolutely robbed at the Surf Ranch. We were pulling for Griff, but there was a collective sense of disbelief after Italo’s second right’s score was read. Everyone was talking about how big he was going to go on his last left since he should be justifiably pissed about the BS score.

When his foot slipped on his sixth turn you could just feel all of the energy get sucked out of the venue. It felt like no one had any interest in supporting Griff’s win and there was a mass exodus which was surprisingly silent.

It’s actually a pretty fun contest to attend. Online, it’s like watching paint dry, but there, it’s kind of a cool little community feeling. My wife really enjoyed it. We brought our 16 year old’s friend with us and the girls had fun doing what teenage girls do, presumably looking for boys to talk to between watching heats.

The only real negatives were the food lines were too long and they needed more big screens and PA’s so you can see/hear scores if you’re on the opposite side of the pool for the last scoring wave.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
The board looks either too long or a rocker he's not used to.

Last timeI saw him he was around my height 5'8 and that board is 5'10.
I feel like I’m seeing a wider stance than normal from him. I don’t think you’re wrong, he’s compensating.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I love how shitty conditions are the new "tricky" conditions. It was wind blown Ventucky walled out slop.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I love when they let other riders on the SITD boards.... I hope they find themselves under Mason Ho's feet ASAP.

Reactions: paunch23

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Yeah that board looked rubbish. It definitely should have worked in those conditions - no excuse.

It's funny as I've ridden a few HS's. Two have been absolute magic (Merlot, Misc), with one being "challenging" (Holy Grail). Perhaps HS is better at designing alt boards...

Reactions: Aruka