Stab in the dark 2023

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
CI Pro with relaxed nose and tail rocker, talking less that 1/8" on both = CI 2.Pro.

With surfing at this level that curve change does make a big difference. How that 1/8" less curve is placed in the rocker is determined by a year's worth of constant tour level feedback.

Meaning it's not just a stab in the dark .... errrrrr
Absolutely. I mean look at how much we obsess over design features we know nothing about and we all suck!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Now, with that said, I'm not much appreciating him the more he talks. Chest puffing, braggadocio and such... which might just be cultural thing.
We can all appreciate his homeoerotic instagram posts.
Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 8.25.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 8.25.30 PM.png

I said this to a friend recently who might read it again here: Italo needs a better handler/manager.
It's 2023. His handler is just fine.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 8.32.16 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: sh3 and Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I saw the IG edit about italo having a “pit crew”.

how many people does he have on payroll? yeesh. an entourage is very expensive.

kinda reminds me of a rags to riches lotto winner, which I don’t think is too far off for his life story.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Going through another bout of covid, I've just binge-watched the last few seasons of Stab in the Dark.

While I like the waves he's surfing as it's similar to what I surf a lot, it makes it much easier for us mere mortals to dissect the boards when the waves allow multiple turns. This was a great feature of previous seasons and I think the Stab crew should try and resolve it for the future. Having said that, for someone at that level they can probably tell by feel which boards are good even in those waves.

The best thing about this season is Italo's complete inability to work out who each shaper is. I feel like there is no biases unlike previous seasons (except Taj's one maybe).

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I’m not a Italo fan, but this series so far was the most relatable. The waves featured would be a fun-to-good day at my local. How he’s surfing is exactly what I have to contend with daily; getting up to speed quickly and a quick hit/turn or two before the wave is over. My air make rate is exponentially lower than Italo’s, but I’m 51, plus, I primarily only go for jumps when my daughter and wife are watching and I’m hoping to show that I can sort of keep up with the RUHS surf team who we know the majority of the peeps.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
very telling as far as Brazilian surfing culture. I guess they have none. now I understand somethings, but the fckn dude rips.

Fanning on the other hand could even recognize different foams and stringers. he was way more knowledgable and sounded very respectful of surf culture, but then you don't need any of that sht to be a world champ. not even style...

if he's not intelligent, he'll quickly lose whatever money he's earned.
same story with these huge Brazilians futbol superstars, and they have bigger contracts.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
He's a bit full of himself with a chip on his shoulder. Liking him less and less.

Either way, still cant see any difference on any of the boards - apart from the Carbon KT where he made none of his airs.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Either way, still cant see any difference on any of the boards - apart from the Carbon KT where he made none of his airs.
I see zero difference between boards. And his commentary isn't interesting. I can tell the production team was realizing this during the shoot cause they started asking him loaded questions and weird sh!t during interviews. They knew they needed something else.

I bet he picks the Pyzel or the CI, but he looked the exact same on them to me. This is boring.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I see zero difference between boards. And his commentary isn't interesting. I can tell the production team was realizing this during the shoot cause they started asking him loaded questions and weird sh!t during interviews. They knew they needed something else.

I bet he picks the Pyzel or the CI, but he looked the exact same on them to me. This is boring.
There's only so many times that I can watch a left closeout, no matter how good the surfer is.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
There's only so many times that I can watch a left closeout, no matter how good the surfer is.
Holy regularfoot detected. First off, there is no such thing as a left closeout. There are lefts, rights, peaks/A-frames, and closeouts.

If it's a left, it's not a closeout. It's a left with an ender - hopefully not bending away out to sea those are buzzkills. I sentence you to a year of El Porto and a year of South Brevard, such that you never commit such blaspheme again. Closeout education camp.

It'd be endless air revos on the lefts that got old. Need straight airs, finners, laybacks, lip line cracks, vert reos...