So how did your boards go with this last run of swell?

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
mi amigo is a physio #1 complaint surfers over 35= hip and neck. #1 complaint oldest surfers = shouldrers

Reactions: Havoc

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Rode a 6'4", 6'8", 7'0", and 8'0" this run of swell. All performed admirably, although the 7'0" felt a little stiff with the Stretch quad fins. Got barreled on the 6'4" and 6'8". Got a funky little head dip on the 7'0". Got some bombs on the 8'0".

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Rode a 6'4", 6'8", 7'0", and 8'0" this run of swell. All performed admirably, although the 7'0" felt a little stiff with the Stretch quad fins. Got barreled on the 6'4" and 6'8". Got a funky little head dip on the 7'0". Got some bombs on the 8'0".
Now that sounds like a good wave quiver.
Guy the other day who was splitting OH waves with me was riding an 8'2. Seemed like a lot of board, and he didn't really do much but set a line and go. But then again, he was able to avoid getting cleaned up by a sneaker set unlike me on my 6'1 hipster round pin twin.

:LOL:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I suppose while the stretching experts here are singing it's praises you could take the opportunity as experts to be specific about what type of stretching you are talking about. Static, Dynamic, Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitative, CR or CRAC?

I'll wait.

But in the meantime you can read below article..you know...based on science and other fancy book learnen' stuff.

For the TL;DR crew

There was high‐quality evidence that stretch did not have clinically important effects on joint mobility in people with or without neurological conditions if performed for less than seven months. Sensitivity analyses indicate results were robust in studies at risk of selection and detection biases in comparison to studies at low risk of bias. Sub‐group analyses also suggest the effect of stretch is consistent in people with different types of neurological or non‐neurological conditions. The effects of stretchperformed for periods longer than seven months have not been investigated. There was moderate‐ and high‐quality evidence that stretch did not have clinically important short‐term effects on quality of life or pain in people with non‐neurological conditions, respectively. The short‐term effects of stretch on quality of life and pain in people with neurological conditions, and the short‐term effects of stretch on activity limitations and participation restrictions for people with and without neurological conditions are uncertain.
Your TLDR is misleading - the title of that article is "Stretch for the treatment and prevention of contractures" - joint deformities. It has got nothing to do with what Duffy and myself do stretching for - improving athletic performance and reducing chance of injury in sports that either require high mobility such as martial arts or occasionally put joints through high ranges of motion such as surfing.

I am not an expert, but I have been shown stretches by experts i.e various qualified rehab therapists. I suppose a martial art instructor could be considered an expert in the sport and stretching requirements too.

To answer your question I have been doing what I think is called static stretches - holding a position without motion, usually after some activity that warms up, but not always. Those other ones you mention I have not heard of. A couple of sets of 30 seconds stretch hold. 5 sets of 10 seconds has also been prescribed, although one massage therapist thought the 2 x 30 seconds was better because initially the muscle will resist the stretch as a reflex action, but if the tension is held the muscle will relax and 30 seconds is more likely to reach that point.

When I used to do taekwondo, I used to hold the stretch for minutes, even watch TV while sitting on the floor in the splits position, but I was actively trying to increase range of motion then. Nowadays I am just in maintenance mode aiming to retain mobility rather than increase it. To give you an idea of the sort of mobility I have in the hip region I can easily squat right down on my haunches on the floor or my skimboard and have my feet flat on the deck with no motion limiting tension in my calf muscles. Whereas I have seen pictures of some weightlifters who have such poor calf mobility that they put blocks of wood or barbell plates under their heels! On the other extreme my chiropractor is a body builder with a great range of motion who believes in and practices a lot of stretching and sometimes puts plates under the toes when squatting.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Which quad Stretch set? I use the FU#2(4.375"/4.25") for my superbuzz and buzzsaw. Then for my 2x4 step up I got the FU#2(4.25"/4") set works great when wave has juice for step up ask Dylan to order you a set.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Your TLDR is misleading - the title of that article is "Stretch for the treatment and prevention of contractures" - joint deformities. It has got nothing to do with what Duffy and myself do stretching for - improving athletic performance and reducing chance of injury in sports that either require high mobility such as martial arts or occasionally put joints through high ranges of motion such as surfing.

I am not an expert, but I have been shown stretches by experts i.e various qualified rehab therapists. I suppose a martial art instructor could be considered an expert in the sport and stretching requirements too.

To answer your question I have been doing what I think is called static stretches - holding a position without motion, usually after some activity that warms up, but not always. Those other ones you mention I have not heard of. A couple of sets of 30 seconds stretch hold. 5 sets of 10 seconds has also been prescribed, although one massage therapist thought the 2 x 30 seconds was better because initially the muscle will resist the stretch as a reflex action, but if the tension is held the muscle will relax and 30 seconds is more likely to reach that point.

When I used to do taekwondo, I used to hold the stretch for minutes, even watch TV while sitting on the floor in the splits position, but I was actively trying to increase range of motion then. Nowadays I am just in maintenance mode aiming to retain mobility rather than increase it. To give you an idea of the sort of mobility I have in the hip region I can easily squat right down on my haunches on the floor or my skimboard and have my feet flat on the deck with no motion limiting tension in my calf muscles. Whereas I have seen pictures of some weightlifters who have such poor calf mobility that they put blocks of wood or barbell plates under their heels! On the other extreme my chiropractor is a body builder with a great range of motion who believes in and practices a lot of stretching and sometimes puts plates under the toes when squatting.
I don't think you know what contractures means.

Aside from your chiropractor being a chiropractor, he's also not very smart....but what can you expect from a man into male body worship.

But to further pound you ding dongs into submission.

TL/DR

Static Stretching...which the ankle grabber experts seem to be fond of.
  1. Performing static stretching by itself immediately before strength and power activities diminishes performance. If static stretching is performed with sufficient time prior to activity or is subsequently combined with other types of warm-up, then no effect occurs on strength and power activities.

2. So for this keeping score that's either no effect or detrimental effect. You can decide on your own if that's worth the time investment.

3. Speed and Agility – When performed prior to speed and agility activity, static stretching is detrimental to performance. Similarly with strength and power, if a dynamic stretch or general warm-up is completed after static stretching then the detrimental effect may be reversed, but this does not imply an improvement in performance but rather a return to baseline (zero). Peck does go on to say that static stretching may affect speed and agility performance differently based on baseline characteristics of the athlete’s level of flexibility.
  4. Endurance: Based on the current available literature, Peck states,
“It is unclear whether static stretching impairs either longer-duration (200 m or greater) cyclic activity or submaximal muscular endurance, but it is notable that no study shows a performance benefit from static stretching performed prior to these activities.”
Which means, either no benefit or potentially negative effect.....or you have to do other things to undo the performance disadvantage that static stretching causes.

Last edited:

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
It’s pretty well understood that static stretching is detrimental to power and strength output BEFORE activity.
What about post exercise?

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Which quad Stretch set? I use the FU#2(4.375"/4.25") for my superbuzz and buzzsaw. Then for my 2x4 step up I got the FU#2(4.25"/4") set works great when wave has juice for step up ask Dylan to order you a set.
sh!t, I don't know. They're green. I think the smaller ones. I'll have to check.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Reactions: Havoc

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I don't think you know what contractures means.

Aside from your chiropractor being a chiropractor, he's also not very smart....but what can you expect from a man into male body worship.

But to further pound you ding dongs into submission.

TL/DR

Static Stretching...which the ankle grabber experts seem to be fond of.
  1. Performing static stretching by itself immediately before strength and power activities diminishes performance. If static stretching is performed with sufficient time prior to activity or is subsequently combined with other types of warm-up, then no effect occurs on strength and power activities.

2. So for this keeping score that's either no effect or detrimental effect. You can decide on your own if that's worth the time investment.

3. Speed and Agility – When performed prior to speed and agility activity, static stretching is detrimental to performance. Similarly with strength and power, if a dynamic stretch or general warm-up is completed after static stretching then the detrimental effect may be reversed, but this does not imply an improvement in performance but rather a return to baseline (zero). Peck does go on to say that static stretching may affect speed and agility performance differently based on baseline characteristics of the athlete’s level of flexibility.
  4. Endurance: Based on the current available literature, Peck states,

Which means, either no benefit or potentially negative effect.....or you have to do other things to undo the performance disadvantage that static stretching causes.
NOBODY IS SAYING TO STRETCH BEFORE ACTIVITY YOU FUCKING IDIOT!!!!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016