So how did your boards go with this last run of swell?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
What mobility exercises do you do before you lift, or do you just jog (yog)?
It depends on the day and what I've done leading up to it. If it's middle of summer I tend to just add empty bar warm up sets to my first movement. If it's cold or I'm feeling a bit tight I'll hit the echo bike to get my body temp up. By the time I get to my working sets I've long since gotten warmed up and accessed full range of motion under load.

I think that the only way to increase your flexibility for sport is achieved by regularly practicing that sport.The mobility requirements all differ in general, so the regular exposure to those positions, especially under load....like rolling with a partner in BJJ would meet the requirement necessary to access the required positional demands of the sport. You're not going to stretch your way into being able to pull an opponent into a high guard while at the same time attacking their posture by any type of stretching routine. Duffy may think it's useful or working but it's the actual practice against a resisting opponent that gets him there. If Duffy was smart (he isn't) he would perform air squats at differing foot widths which would warm up and load the muscles of the legs and groin and solo hip escapes (which I'm positive he does) which both prepare him for the "work" while also providing the mental stimulus to access the range of motion necessary while practicing or competing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Do you reach down and grab your ankles for sport? It's was a spectacular claim. Are you walking it back?
What?

You are posting sh!t that isn’t relevant to the discussion. You posted a studies refuting claims that nobody is making and when called out on you just insult again.

Because you’re full of sh!t.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
like rolling with a partner in BJJ would meet the requirement necessary to access the required positional demands of the sport.
I’ll say it again in case you missed it the first time.

Anyone who does BJJ at anything more than an ok level totally disagrees with this. Gaining more flexibility by stretching or yoga in addition to training jiu jitsu is always better than just training jiu jitsu.

If a person just trains jiu jitsu and nothing else I can assure that that person is going to have a seriously fucked up body after awhile.

I‘ve been told you’re some kind personal trainer of something. I pity the fool who hires you.

Reactions: frontsidegrab

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It depends on the day and what I've done leading up to it. If it's middle of summer I tend to just add empty bar warm up sets to my first movement. If it's cold or I'm feeling a bit tight I'll hit the echo bike to get my body temp up. By the time I get to my working sets I've long since gotten warmed up and accessed full range of motion under load.

I think that the only way to increase your flexibility for sport is achieved by regularly practicing that sport.The mobility requirements all differ in general, so the regular exposure to those positions, especially under load....like rolling with a partner in BJJ would meet the requirement necessary to access the required positional demands of the sport. You're not going to stretch your way into being able to pull an opponent into a high guard while at the same time attacking their posture by any type of stretching routine. Duffy may think it's useful or working but it's the actual practice against a resisting opponent that gets him there. If Duffy was smart (he isn't) he would perform air squats at differing foot widths which would warm up and load the muscles of the legs and groin and solo hip escapes (which I'm positive he does) which both prepare him for the "work" while also providing the mental stimulus to access the range of motion necessary while practicing or competing.
And for the third or fourth time nobody here is saying to stretch before training instead of doing a warmup.

Our warmups pre-training are specific to the sport and fairly intense. Many new guys can’t make it through the warm up.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

Anyone who does BJJ at anything more than an ok level totally disagrees with this. Gaining more flexibility by stretching or yoga in addition to training jiu jitsu is always better than just training jiu jitsu.

If a person just trains jiu jitsu and nothing else I can assure that that person is going to have a seriously fucked up body after awhile.

I‘ve been told you’re some kind personal trainer of something. I pity the fool who hires you.
141587879_10157471734427471_2671970163645918223_n.jpg

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

one of our coaches is a mendes bros black belt. He spend his time strength training and training Jiu jitsu not ankle grabbing

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
one of our coaches is a mendes bros black belt. He spend his time strength training and training Jiu jitsu not ankle grabbing
I assure you that he stretches.

Friend of mine, brown belt, trains at AOJ. They stretch after every class.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

You don't gain flexibility by stretching ding dong. This is indisputable. Yoga, it's loaded so a bit but not by a remarkable degree. I'm sure you've convinced yourself otherwise...most people have...but it's simply not the case. It may feel like you are...but in reality you are accessing previously available ROM. You would get there quicker and safer by just actively moving though the range of motion you have or need and as your skill set advances your ability to hit your marks increases...like magic.

Reactions: ReForest and Havoc