So how did your boards go with this last run of swell?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It’s interesting what boards people gravitate towards when wave size gets to around DOH. I find the spot you mentioned has so many warbles and weird stuff going on, I’d prefer to be on something around my height to be able to react more quickly.

There’s recent video of the left about a mile south where a guy wearing a white helmet gets the job done on too long (IMO) of board and it just looks awkward.

I got an email that my Ghost is ready. Exactly five weeks, which I think is pretty good considering it was ordered before Christmas. I’m hoping this swell breather is short-lived.
It’s very wave type dependent for me. Its hard to beat my twin keel fish going front side at a lined up point DOH.

On the other hand there‘s reef break north of me where my 6’8 SP12 is the call. M

Reactions: ChaseTMP

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
If my leg will only bend at the hip this much ( ) and anything more will tear a hamstring it should go without saying that if I can bend this much (_______________) then I’d be a lot less likely to tear a hamstring if while surfing my leg was bent, perhaps involuntarily, at the hip this much (_____ ).

Tell us how this is wrong.

PS: how old are you?
if you keep grabbing your ankles your asshole will open this much ( ).

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
VM and I dont agree about the stretching thing. Anecdotal: but all other things being pretty equal, my buddies that never stretch are consistently more injured than my buddies that do. I swear by it.
What we DO agree on is systematized, consistent compound movements. I throw a lot of Olympic lifts in there as well.

Reactions: MathDebater

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
if you keep grabbing your ankles your asshole will open this much ( ).
Yeah, see. There you go. The hallmark of being full of sh!t.

Make a claim “stretching does nothing” and when asked back it up you reply with insults.

I’ll keep working on my flexibility doing things that include stretching movements because it helps with my range of motion and general mobility.

How about this...

Im a fair minded guy and am willing to learn where I might hold beliefs that are wrong.

So let’s you and I do some Jiu jitsu together and if after that you still don’t think having more flexibility will help you to avoid being injured I’ll concede your point.

Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Yeah, see. There you go. The hallmark of being full of sh!t.

Make a claim “stretching does nothing” and when asked back it up you reply with insults.

I’ll keep working on my flexibility doing things that include stretching movements because it helps with my range of motion and general mobility.

How about this...

Im a fair minded guy and am willing to learn where I might hold beliefs that are wrong.

So let’s you and I do some Jiu jitsu together and if after that you still don’t think having more flexibility will help you to avoid being injured I’ll concede your point.
There's medical evidence....and then there's claims from the chinstrap wave height guy who trains to grab his ankles and wants to do male on male sweaty roll around stuff. I think I'll go with science.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
VM and I dont agree about the stretching thing. Anecdotal: but all other things being pretty equal, my buddies that never stretch are consistently more injured than my buddies that do. I swear by it.
What we DO agree on is systematized, consistent compound movements. I throw a lot of Olympic lifts in there as well.
You will lengthen your hamstring longer at the bottom of a properly executed squat than you will by pulling your hamstring into a subjective position of enough.

Stretching is at best relaxing...generally a waste of time, and sometimes causes more harm than good. The notion that you need all this additional range of motion beyond what is required to perform day to day activities in order to prevent injury is absurd. You want joints that surrounded by healthy and strong soft tissue that is capable of resisting external forces. Trying to pull space into a joint is silly. The idea that you can train yourself to bend a joint into a position that is mechanically disadvantaged from a position of control as a way of preventing injury is as stupid as this sentence just read.

Also, It's an inefficient way to warm a muscle.

That said

Different sports require different range of motions. Duffys Jiu Jitsu will take different range of motion than him surfing requires....but this range of motion is best and safely acquired by warming up and practice...with practice being the performance of the activity at an increased pace and aptitude as you acquire the skillset to do so.

I don't know why your friends that stretch appear to be injured less than the ones that do but there isn't one iota of evidence to suggest stretching has anything to do with it.

Reactions: Havoc

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
There's hundreds of studies and surprise surprise...
The results are mixed.
We dont REALLY know whats going on with a lot of this sh!t yet.
My non-scientific take: something that animals and humans both do intuitively is probably something that has merit.

Reactions: Aruka

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Stretching is at best relaxing...generally a waste of time, and sometimes causes more harm than good. The notion that you need all this additional range of motion beyond what is required to perform day to day activities in order to prevent injury is absurd.
Ive injured myself yawning. It was due to lack of flexibility. Now that I’m more flexible FROM STRETCHING that doesn’t happen anymore.

If i relied on just jiu jitsu training alone to increase my flexibility/range of motion for jiu jitsu I would be grossly out of balance. I can pick out a jiu jitsu player who doesn’t work on flexibility from a crowd just by watching them walk. Hell just by seeing them standing there.

I asked you how old you are for a reason. I’m 50. One of my surfing buddies is 56 and he rips. Really rips. In his late 40s into 50 he was injured almost all of the time. Not anymore. He kept telling me if you want to keep surfing into your 50s and 60s, especially on a short board, you need to be flexible. He‘s been doing yoga for years. Another guy, 58, rips, same thing yoga.

Everyone on this forum knows who these two people are btw.

Another guy (I’ve never met) name Gerry Lopez can still surf and snowboard and he attributes it entirely to yoga.

To say that stretching/yoga/increasing range of motion won’t help you be better able to perform activities at a higher level is what’s absurd.

If your body is not flexible enough to get into the position pictured below (with balance and mobility) then guess what? You can‘t do that turn...

Why do older surfers‘ performance levels decline? One reason is because the older you get the less flexibility you have. Duh.

You want joints that surrounded by healthy and strong soft tissue that is capable of resisting external forces.
yes. This too is helpful.

Trying to pull space into a joint is silly.
Wut? Who’s ’pulling space into a joint”? What does that even mean?

Also, It's an inefficient way to warm a muscle.
I don’t think anyone here is suggesting stretching as a warmup prior to activity. I certainly am not.

Jiu Jitsu will take different range of motion than him surfing requires....but this range of motion is best and safely acquired by warming up and practice...with practice being the performance of the activity at an increased pace and aptitude as you acquire the skillset to do so.
You‘ll have a very difficult time finding anyone who does jiu jitsu at any relatively decent level that would agree with this.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I’m so confused now. :socrazy:

Von Meister knows what time it is in many things and usually I‘m thinking in the same thread.

Duffy thinks he can last a few rounds with Tyson in the ring which is just utter comedy.

The stretching thing is really tripping me out.

So I used to box/kickbox from time to time and we Always started jumping rope for 5 minutes, then stretched for another 5 to 7 min. The thinking was you don’t want to stretch cold rubber bands, thus the jumprope and warm up. Then stretch at the end as well.

I Never stretch before surfing...For some wacked out reason I want to conserve energy :monkey: and don’t want to warm up before strectching...and/or think I‘m too cool for school.

All my ”pain” is from “Bone Spurs”, or the tighting or growth of my spine around the nerves.

So fark, maybe the stretch isn’t worth it...Damn Calcuim. Do Asians get Bone Spurs?

But then again, Stretching is great for agility and makes me happy. Especially when I remind my wife to do her Kegel’s. :trout:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There's hundreds of studies and surprise surprise...
The results are mixed.
We dont REALLY know whats going on with a lot of this sh!t yet.
My non-scientific take: something that animals and humans both do intuitively is probably something that has merit.
ive been bending my feet by pushing down on the top of it making them point like a ballet dancer for years. I’m now almost impossible to submit with a straight foot lock. Why? Because my feet are unusually flexible. They got that way from years and years of bending them. My ankles are really strong as well.

Strength and flexibility has prevented my ankles from being broken on hundreds of occasions.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I’m so confused now. :socrazy:

Von Meister knows what time it is in many things and usually I‘m thinking in the same thread.

Duffy thinks he can last a few rounds with Tyson in the ring which is just utter comedy.

The stretching thing is really tripping me out.

So I used to box/kickbox from time to time and we Always started jumping rope for 5 minutes, then stretched for another 5 to 7 min. The thinking was you don’t want to stretch cold rubber bands, thus the jumprope and warm up. Then stretch at the end as well.

I Never stretch before surfing...For some wacked out reason I want to conserve energy :monkey: and don’t want to warm up before strectching...and/or think I‘m too cool for school.

All my ”pain” is from “Bone Spurs”, or the tighting or growth of my spine around the nerves.

So fark, maybe the stretch isn’t worth it...Damn Calcuim. Do Asians get Bone Spurs?

But then again, Stretching is great for agility and makes me happy. Especially when I remind my wife to do her Kegel’s. :trout:
I never stretch before any type of activity. Stretching before a kickboxing class is a waste of time at best.

Also, I never made any claims about lasting a few rounds with Tyson. I only said that there is a clear path to beating him (heel hook) and Mike Tyson himself agrees with me.

Try warming up before surfing. You’ll surf better.

If 5-10 minutes of moving around tires you out and shortens you surf session then you are really out of shape.

Kegels aren’t stretches. They are the opposite of that.

• Haha
Reactions: waxfoot

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Kegels aren’t stretches. They are the opposite of that.
Fun fact: I had a surgeon's finger deep inside my asshole a month back, at which point he turns to his his colleague saying; "Yea, I can feel it's really tight in there".

Given that it was the most inappropriate thing to do at the time (because I can't help myself), I burst out laughing and chimed in with, "well, this girl often does her Kegels ... gotta keep my man happy!"