So how did your boards go with this last run of swell?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
What?

You are posting sh!t that isn’t relevant to the discussion. You posted a studies refuting claims that nobody is making and when called out on you just insult again.

Because you’re full of sh!t.
:roflmao:

PS, how can you say stretching does nothing when a year ago I couldn’t touch my toes but after doing regular stretching I can do that and beyond. That’s not “nothing” and there’s no way anyone can logically say that being able to touch your toes is no better than not being able to.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I know barely more than jack sh!t about Jiu Jitsu...but enough to know your professor would smash you at the very least for this. It actually says more about where you train than it does about you.
You’re right, you don’t know much about jiu jitsu at all.

My coaches smash the sh!t out of me all the time. Well, at least the ones who can.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You don't gain flexibility by stretching ding dong. This is indisputable. Yoga, it's loaded so a bit but not by a remarkable degree. I'm sure you've convinced yourself otherwise...most people have...but it's simply not the case. It may feel like you are...but in reality you are accessing previously available ROM. You would get there quicker and safer by just actively moving though the range of motion you have or need and as your skill set advances your ability to hit your marks increases...like magic.

I pity you.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
one of our coaches is a mendes bros black belt. He spend his time strength training and training Jiu jitsu not ankle grabbing
Havoc, every taekwondo practitioner stretches, I am sure it is the same for the other martial arts that require high mobility. This is why Von Meister is unable to come up with any relevant research papers showing that it doesn't help those sports. Basically no subjects available for the research.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
if I did the splits right now something would tear no matter how warmed up I got.

if I did a proper stretching routine in about 6 months to a year I would be able to do the splits without injury.

Is this right or wrong?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Havoc, every taekwondo practitioner stretches, I am sure it is the same for the other martial arts that require high mobility. This is why Von Meister is unable to come up with any relevant research papers showing that it doesn't help those sports. Basically no subjects available for the research.
He posts a study saying PRE-activity stretching doesn’t help performance.

Nobody here said it did.

He posted a study that says stretching doesn't help with muscle soreness.

Aside from ‘soreness’ being subjective, nobody here claimed it helped with soreness.

Now he’s saying stretching doesn’t increase flexibility or rage of motion.

Um, yes it does.

PS; Havoc’s coach stretches.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
He posts a study saying PRE-activity stretching doesn’t help performance.

Nobody here said it did.

He posted a study that says stretching doesn't help with muscle soreness.

Aside from ‘soreness’ being subjective, nobody here claimed it helped with soreness.

Now he’s saying stretching doesn’t increase flexibility or rage of motion.

Um, yes it does.

PS; Havoc’s coach stretches.
yes Duffy, of course stretching helps increase range of motion!

Havoc, my chiropractor is built like the hulk, squats and deadlifts heavy weights and can also do the splits. Do you really think that range of motion was achieved with weight training? I am sure VM can offer some good tips on lifting, but be careful not to believe everything he says.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I’ve trained Muay Thai and Jiu jitsu for years. We did mobility shat in jits and tons of stretching in Muay Thai. It doesnt stick. U lose all that flexibility fast. I get rom from dynamic work

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
yes Duffy, of course stretching helps increase range of motion!

Havoc, my chiropractor is built like the hulk, squats and deadlifts heavy weights and can also do the splits. Do you really think that range of motion was achieved with weight training? I am sure VM can offer some good tips on lifting, but be careful not to believe everything he says.
Is English not your first language?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I’ve trained Muay Thai and Jiu jitsu for years. We did mobility shat in jits and tons of stretching in Muay Thai. It doesnt stick. U lose all that flexibility fast. I get rom from dynamic work
like losing strength if you stop lifting.

Reactions: Mr J

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I suppose while the stretching experts here are singing it's praises you could take the opportunity as experts to be specific about what type of stretching you are talking about. Static, Dynamic, Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitative, CR or CRAC?

I'll wait.

But in the meantime you can read below article..you know...based on science and other fancy book learnen' stuff.

For the TL;DR crew

There was high‐quality evidence that stretch did not have clinically important effects on joint mobility in people with or without neurological conditions if performed for less than seven months. Sensitivity analyses indicate results were robust in studies at risk of selection and detection biases in comparison to studies at low risk of bias. Sub‐group analyses also suggest the effect of stretch is consistent in people with different types of neurological or non‐neurological conditions. The effects of stretchperformed for periods longer than seven months have not been investigated. There was moderate‐ and high‐quality evidence that stretch did not have clinically important short‐term effects on quality of life or pain in people with non‐neurological conditions, respectively. The short‐term effects of stretch on quality of life and pain in people with neurological conditions, and the short‐term effects of stretch on activity limitations and participation restrictions for people with and without neurological conditions are uncertain.
dnr the tldr

as someone who never used to stretch (couldn't touch toes) before doing yoga consistently for about a year or two (maintained some of that flexibility and mobility after stopping) can tell that your "science" don't matter. it's a night and day difference between how your body will feel and move by stretching and moving using some yoga poses in as little as 10 minutes per day. posture will improve and you'll generally have less aches and pain overall. enjoy the hunchback, tight hips and keep deadlifting your way into the geriatric years.

Reactions: urchined and Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Duffy, on the subject of dynamic stretching vs static stretching I remember I used to do both in taekwondo class. Its been some years, the ones I remember were doing a stationary repetitive axe kick, similar for the crescent kick, both directions I think. Nowadays I do hardly any dynamic stretching and the only one being swinging my leg backwards to stretch the hip flexors, I do it sometimes before going in the water. The other parts of me that get tight from the combination of sports I do, I just static stretch. Do you have any knowledge of the merits of dynamic vs static stretching?

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Duffy, on the subject of dynamic stretching vs static stretching I remember I used to do both in taekwondo class. Its been some years, the ones I remember were doing a stationary repetitive axe kick, similar for the crescent kick, both directions I think. Nowadays I do hardly any dynamic stretching and the only one being swinging my leg backwards to stretch the hip flexors, I do it sometimes before going in the water. The other parts of me that get tight from the combination of sports I do, I just static stretch. Do you have any knowledge of the merits of dynamic vs static stretching?
I don't know squat from taekwondo to joel-jitsu. I do know my son is in training for physical therapy. Active stretching is the current science. Do the move, back out. No hold and press.

Reactions: Mr J

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Isn't taekwondo what kids do so mom can day drink in the car in peace? Try an adult sport.