Rusty - Shiv, Hatchet, 419Fish

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Agree. But I'd say pretty savvy to play up that WWE persona to get people talking. He can be the anti-Connor. Surfing needs characters.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Agree. But I'd say pretty savvy to play up that WWE persona to get people talking. He can be the anti-Connor. Surfing needs characters.
That's actually a solid point.
Like Albee said bold caption but surfing and the air game needs that energy.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I will be honest

im not a ripper

I have a rusty twin fin

and a rusty 419 fish

the twin fin is money in any conditions 3 ft and up

I’m struggling to find the conditions where I would prefer the fish

I hate to offend the fish purists but I’m starting to think the twin fin short board was a vast improvement on the design!!!

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
So was in one of my local shops today, noticed the Heckler in torsion spring, that's been sitting there for maybe a year, might be mildly under my choice of volume by .5L-1L; unlikely to make a difference, 5'8"stock dims. Mentioned to the owner "wow this thing has been sitting here for like a year, what's the price?" "$595" he says. Couldn't help myself, pulled the trigger...Rusty site lists it at $855, what the heck hunh!?!?!

I'll let you know how she rides, I like the look of it, Rusty site reviews seem good...was kind of eyeing it over the past couple of years.

Last edited:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
...Heckler in torsion spring,... 5'8"stock dims....pulled the trigger...

I'll let you know how she rides, I like the look of it, Rusty site reviews seem good...was kind of eyeing it over the past couple of years.
I had been eyeing it over the last year as well. Its based on a Fish, but the updated shape and Venturi bottom seem to be the real deal, as even Noel Salas gave it a decent review. :geek:

Rad that you found it in Torsion Spring. Let us know how it goes.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

I hate to offend the fish purists but I’m starting to think the twin fin short board was a vast improvement on the design!!!
be sure to let us know before you list it in the classifieds for a first dibs. :cheers:

Reactions: Billy Ocean

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Ride report PLEASE! I've been eyeing a Heckler and have repeatedly built it on their site for the last 2 years.

Reactions: JeffRSpicoli

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I will be honest

im not a ripper

I have a rusty twin fin

and a rusty 419 fish

the twin fin is money in any conditions 3 ft and up

I don't know about the 419 fish but fishes and pretty much all designs have improved since the 70's. I got lucky first fish, a cutaway quad Madella (his 50th shape no less) and it was absolute magic in anything up to 8', second Mabile twinzer and small wave magic, third a keel fin Mabile and unless you just wanted to go straight it sucked sold it right away, very disappointed. Someone just started a twin fin tread, likely will see a good fish in that thread.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Alright, definitely/probably a way too early report on the Heckler, jacked to ride it so must blame the waves for most of my frustration for a new board trail.

Rode the Heckler twice now:
-a few days ago in really nice glassy, gutless 1'-2' conditions with frustrating results: beach break. Definitely was pushing it due to having the new board, etc. And bummed after the session.

-today, beach break, slightly better conditions, maybe 2' to at best 3', and still marginally gutless waves, BUT wow two or three waves [the waiting paid off] that were 'solid' really, really, nice the bottom turns were eff'in awesome. The board allowed for driving bottom turn and what I will call a 'turbo' boost to outrun a crumbling section and finish on the face.

So I left the water really stoked on the board, can't wait till better waves, which may be tomorrow at 3'+

Rode it as a quad both times: Futures Blackstixs on the outside and Futures Stamps on the inside.

After day one I could imagine wanting to over volume the board to suit crappy conditions, but I think that would minimize the purpose of the design.

When I ride real waves with it I will update. Cheers

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Heckler Verdict
Absolutely love this board!

Much better waves yesterday, like real waves, solid 3'+, with great shape and should be similar today, up early and heading to beach soon.

Surfed it for about 7 hours yesterday board kept me in the water! Three different sessions: low tide, high tide, outgoing mid-tide. So many waves, I have to keep a surf journal...

I think having torsion spring is the way to go with this board, been a PU guy all my life, did recently acquire the Rooster in torsion spring, sort of wish I had gotten that in PU, but anyhow the Heckler is a sick board, really allows for some super aggressive, fast, confident surfing. I kind of felt like a ripping grom. I got a lot of stoke from this board.

I am seriously in love with it, MrSteve I would go get one.

-I'm 5'7", weigh ~155lbs and again got the stock 5'8" 32.4L.
Generally, I like a little more volume since I surf year round in New England so will need to don the 6/5 hooded suit with booties/lobster claws in winter, adding some weight and restrictive movements, this will be my lowest volume board.

Can't wait to go drop in!!! Here's some pics. Cheers!!!
1599297493827.jpeg

1599297518703.jpeg