Rusty - Shiv, Hatchet, 419Fish

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
@JeffRSpicoli when did you order?

I'm at 8 weeks on mine and trying to decide how much longer to give it before I ask
Took a lot longer than I expected, I was getting a bit frustrated:
agreed to final dims on Dec 14th. and arrived on March 6th.

I did reach out to them a few times never really got a clear answer on the delay, but I ended up learning that they lost their XTR supplier; maybe that's creating some chaos overall, but yeah was a long wait!

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
IMO, they work incredibly well, especially on thrusters, like the 84. Most of Parmenter’s boards, which I’ve ridden a bunch of, are based on Rusty’s flat deck. like everything surfboard related, YMMV
I think I like mine; meaning I am not sure if it is the flat deck, but I typically have some really fun sessions on the Hatchet. Very fast and responsive, it is sort of the unforgotten board in my quiver and when I take it out, I'm always saying to myself "why don't I ride this more often!"
-I got strong glassing on it, looking back I think stock glassing is the way to go, seems like having it on lighter side would be better.

-then on another note heading to El Sal next month, hopefully, now which boards to bring!?!?
Twin Fin, Heckler, Hustler, Rooster, Barking Spider, Zeppelin, my McCloud single fin: can definitely pack three, maybe four.

Reactions: MathDebater and JDJ

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Took a lot longer than I expected, I was getting a bit frustrated:
agreed to final dims on Dec 14th. and arrived on March 6th.

I did reach out to them a few times never really got a clear answer on the delay, but I ended up learning that they lost their XTR supplier; maybe that's creating some chaos overall, but yeah was a long wait!
Yeah that's definitely a while. I'm sure the delay is the same as everyone else, just lots of orders. Plus I'm sure the month of pumping surf a bit ago didn't improve productivity lol. Maybe I'll give it a bit longer before I bug them, I wasn't expecting it to be done quickly but I do wish they would be a little more honest with their quoted wait times.

I also heard about this issue with XTR. I don't understand why they can't get the foam from Javier/Epoxy Pro. I listened to a couple episodes of Rusty's Talk to your Shaper thing and he mentioned torsion spring/XTR a few times but seemed to explicitly avoid mentioning or giving any credit to Javier or his company. There was some discussion on here too about an issue with the vent tool for the torsion spring construction and not wanting to license it from Epoxy Pro. It seems like there is some bad blood or weirdness between those guys. I was considering ordering from XTR and having R. send the file there but it seemed better to just leave that alone. Might have gotten done a little faster though!

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I think I like mine; meaning I am not sure if it is the flat deck, but I typically have some really fun sessions on the Hatchet. Very fast and responsive, it is sort of the unforgotten board in my quiver and when I take it out, I'm always saying to myself "why don't I ride this more often!"
-I got strong glassing on it, looking back I think stock glassing is the way to go, seems like having it on lighter side would be better.

-then on another note heading to El Sal next month, hopefully, now which boards to bring!?!?
Twin Fin, Heckler, Hustler, Rooster, Barking Spider, Zeppelin, my McCloud single fin: can definitely pack three, maybe four.
Are you regular footed or goofy footed?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I like the flat deck for small/medium waves. I enjoy the stability and there is a lot of push back and spring for generating speed. I think the flat surface also just feels nice under foot. In larger, steeper waves there are predictable downsides compared to a more normal domed deck foil. The rail is harder to sink and hold in powerful surf.

I've owned and ridden Shiv, Hatchet, flat deck Twin and the Blade.

Blade has a slight dome but it's still pretty flat compared to a normal board.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

Twin Fin / Heckler / Barking Spider

Reactions: JeffRSpicoli

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Wuts the forecast?

I was thinking twin / rooster / zeppelin
Still a way away going late April - May so I thinking it could be quality doing Flores and Mango and then the spots near la Libertad...I like the call on the boards!

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I like the flat deck for small/medium waves. I enjoy the stability and there is a lot of push back and spring for generating speed. I think the flat surface also just feels nice under foot. In larger, steeper waves there are predictable downsides compared to a more normal domed deck foil. The rail is harder to sink and hold in powerful surf.

I've owned and ridden Shiv, Hatchet, flat deck Twin and the Blade.

Blade has a slight dome but it's still pretty flat compared to a normal board.
Flat deck big wave boards are all the rage at the moment.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Flat deck big wave boards are all the rage at the moment.
It's true. I've been very close to ordering one of those KT flat deck guns this year.

I think if the planeshape pulls in to a narrow tail it still allows the board to be tipped over onto rail.

Honestly, the biggest difference I've felt with the flat deck boards is just holding them under arm. They don't surf as differently as you'd expect.

Reactions: JDJ

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
It's true. I've been very close to ordering one of those KT flat deck guns this year.

I think if the planeshape pulls in to a narrow tail it still allows the board to be tipped over onto rail.

Honestly, the biggest difference I've felt with the flat deck boards is just holding them under arm. They don't surf as differently as you'd expect.
Don’t forget to get the baby swallow tail.

Spinktopus

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 31, 2011
Satellite Beach, FL
Rode it today in sloppy 3’+ central FL waves. The board glides in easily to waves, but was tough to get on a rail. I rode it with the FC2 MR twin + trailer.. I’ll try those Machado’s recommended (just have to get them).

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Rode it today in sloppy 3’+ central FL waves. The board glides in easily to waves, but was tough to get on a rail. I rode it with the FC2 MR twin + trailer.. I’ll try those Machado’s recommended (just have to get them).
Beauty!!!

I have the 5'8" Heckler stock dims, and tried it with twin + trailer and remember not loving it with that set up vs. straight up tri or quad, I think you'll like it much better.

Reactions: Spinktopus