Rusty - Shiv, Hatchet, 419Fish

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The Blade has been getting a ton of use and ive really been digging it. Mostly point waves from waist to overhead. Some punchy beachies and reef waves as well.

It probably impresses me most at the smaller end of the spectrum. It grovels really well with an active approach. It starts to feel a little overly fast and skatey when the waves get a few feet overhead with some push behind them.

For a thruster it has a ton of drive. Compared to my Driver which pretty much takes no input to turn, the blade wants to be pushed a bit harder. It rewards the effort with loads of speed and projection through maneuvers.

It feels like it catches waves a moment sooner than a more traditional shortboard and it gets up to speed nearly instantly. It will highline a long section almost like a fish but then hit the lip or carve like any good thruster.

Jordy and am2 proto fins depending on conditions. Tried p8s but missed the drive in lined up surf. Will probably like it with balanced template in home conditions.

The rocker feels low but never catchy up front or anything. It does feel less amazing in super choppy surf. Whether thats the channels or not I am unsure. Will be interesting to ride it at home to see how it handles the less ideal waves and conditions. Will have a home report in a couple weeks most likely.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Alright I did again, I think I may have gotten a little flamboyant with the color scheme, kind of looks different the site of course, but oh well, most importantly it arrived with no damage.

Rusty Barking Spider

Attachments

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
Glad this thread got bumped... any Dwart ride reports from the erBB Brain Trust? Been eyeing one for a minute now and curious to hear how it goes.

Reactions: Aruka

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
My friend had a massively oversized dwart. I think it was a 6’2”? I’m 6’ and 190, would probably ride a 5’7” given the choice. Even at that size it was fairly nimble. Only rode it on a couple tiny lines up days and it had hood down the line speed. Kind of hard to say riding it so much over my normal size but it seemed like a good boar

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
yup agreed. outline does look fun though. once my HS Untitled is finally done, I'll have 3 variations of winged swallows in the quiver - twin, twin plus trailer, and thruster. maybe I need one with aggressive rocker? :D

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Been thinking about getting another Rusty twin fin. I had a stock 6’0, which I loved, and then a 5’10 flat deck version, which I did not like as much as the first one. Thinking about going back to the stock model for more magic.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Been thinking about getting another Rusty twin fin. I had a stock 6’0, which I loved, and then a 5’10 flat deck version, which I did not like as much as the first one. Thinking about going back to the stock model for more magic.
It seems like most feedback I see on R. flat decks is pretty lukewarm.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I had been emailing with Rusty about this model. I'd asked what he thought would work best as a twinzer. He said the Miso was coming soon and would be a great twinzer board. They were nice enough to size one and send over dimensions before I ordered. Relative to the Heckler, it doesn't look overly aggressive on paper (both 5'10):

Tail Rocker Miso Heckler
0" 2.1" 2.0"
12" .73" .78"
24" .05" .17"

Obviously I'd default to their own description, not my rando numbers...,.stringer rocker vs rail rocker etc etc. more variables than I'll ever understand

Reactions: Aruka and JDJ