Rusty - Shiv, Hatchet, 419Fish

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Always wanted to order a Sista Brotha from R dot.
Just about the best I've ever seen anyone surf at my local was some traveling surfer on a Sista Brotha. The waves were like chest high and somewhat weak but peaky and some random double ups and the guy was just destroying every section and boosting airs at will.

Reactions: MathDebater

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I remember being surprised to read that Noa Deane rode Luke Short's boards even during his Rusty sponsorship and paid cost for unsigned non-logo'd LSD's that he put Rusty Stickers on.

I bought a used Barking Spider off a Rusty employee that was one of my favorite boards ever. Single 4oz. glass was probably a component of that and why I snapped the thing in about three weeks. Clint shaped me two after that, but they didn't come close for some reason.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Noa used to get unsigned non-logo'd shapes from a small label guy on the North Shore. When I picked up one of my boards from that shaper, I saw 3 of Noa's. They looked like Sista Brothas and looked pretty sick. I don't know if they were Rusty or LSD files, or the shapers own creations.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I don’t if this is any good, but it’s a cool ideaView attachment 94086
it’s a bit rambling but there are usually nuggets of interesting commentary thrown in

it would be much better if they guided the topics a bit more

most of the questions asked are of the variety of “I’m 5’3, 300 lbs: what short board should I be riding?” (that is barely an exaggeration of a question asked in the last session I watched)

Rusty was like, “I could make you an 8 ft board, 23 1/2” wide and 4” thick.”

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
it’s a bit rambling but there are usually nuggets of interesting commentary thrown in

it would be much better if they guided the topics a bit more

most of the questions asked are of the variety of “I’m 5’3, 300 lbs: what short board should I be riding?” (that is barely an exaggeration of a question asked in the last session I watched)

Rusty was like, “I could make you an 8 ft board, 23 1/2” wide and 4” thick.”
so how's that 419 treating you? have you ridden it yet

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
so how's that 419 treating you? have you ridden it yet
I've had about 3 sessions on it so far, all in chest to slightly overhead beach break.

I've never had a fish before so want to give it a bit more time to give a proper review

first impressions are it is very fast (duh) and turns better than I thought it would. I think the strong double concave in the back half helps here.

negative for me so far is how much volume there is in the nose. This is a combination of the wide nose and also the flat deck.

I'm finding myself getting hung up in the lip when paddling into steeper waves. I think this is really just me not being used to a fish in general so I'm reserving judgment.

But that slight delay getting in vs just pushing down and knifing in on a narrower shortboard is challenging for me, especially since the rocker is so flat that it's like being shot out of a rocket once you're up. I'm even more impressed now seeing clips of guys riding fish in barreling waves-- I can't see it being my first choice in those conditions.

I haven't had it out in more slopey type waves where you couldn't really ride a shortboard, which is really what I got it for. I'll report back once I have a few more sessions.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I've had about 3 sessions on it so far, all in chest to slightly overhead beach break.

I've never had a fish before so want to give it a bit more time to give a proper review

first impressions are it is very fast (duh) and turns better than I thought it would. I think the strong double concave in the back half helps here.

negative for me so far is how much volume there is in the nose. This is a combination of the wide nose and also the flat deck.

I'm finding myself getting hung up in the lip when paddling into steeper waves. I think this is really just me not being used to a fish in general so I'm reserving judgment.

But that slight delay getting in vs just pushing down and knifing in on a narrower shortboard is challenging for me, especially since the rocker is so flat that it's like being shot out of a rocket once you're up. I'm even more impressed now seeing clips of guys riding fish in barreling waves-- I can't see it being my first choice in those conditions.

I haven't had it out in more slopey type waves where you couldn't really ride a shortboard, which is really what I got it for. I'll report back once I have a few more sessions.
yeah, that makes sense. thx for sharing your impressions so far. at least how the conditions are where I surf, I feel like I could ride a fish 80% of the time.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I try to sit a little more forward over the board to compensate but it can really frustrating when the waves are steeper but lack some push.

imo this is the hardest part going from HP outline to a fish.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
My only recent experience on a small Fish was at the Del Mar Reefs where a shortboard would've been an exercise in frustration on the 2-3 foot day of note and the waves were what I'd call "slopey" as you do.

I was catching waves great on my 7' 6" mid / fun board, and hopped on my buddys 5' 4" Fish thinking it was going to be a struggle because I had never rideen a board that small... caught the very first wave I paddled for and rode it all the way to the beach. :LOL:

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for the reviews guys. Anyone had any recent experience with EPoly? Does it perform as described? ie more sparky than PU and equal (or better) durability? Any other thoughts? Wondering if it's worth bothering with...

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
as i was going home today my buddy was paddling out on his new "music" label keel hat he got from the warehouse sale for 400 bucks. beautiful sled with a resin tint. great deal if you ask me

Reactions: MathDebater

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I think I saw that board walking out of the sale, when I was waiting in line. It was a beauty. Was bummed there wasn't something similar by the time I got inside.
Pretty impressed with the versatility of the Smoothie I picked up.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Stopped by the Miramar factory today. Front door was locked but went around the back and found someone to ask about Demo's. Unfortunately not too many boards available to rent right now. A 6.0' Shiv, a couple Blades, and a few others.

The racks were fairly empty, but the customs that were there looked awesome, a 419 Fish, Hatchet, and some Blackbirds all with custom paint jobs. They said they've been busy.

In other news, apparently Royce is no longer there.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Stopped by the Miramar factory today. Front door was locked but went around the back and found someone to ask about Demo's. Unfortunately not too many boards available to rent right now. A 6.0' Shiv, a couple Blades, and a few others.

The racks were fairly empty, but the customs that were there looked awesome, a 419 Fish, Hatchet, and some Blackbirds all with custom paint jobs. They said they've been busy.

In other news, apparently Royce is no longer there.
Royce is with Bing now as their Global Sales Manager.