Psyops by Wealthy Conservatives

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Well sure but it's nowhere near as doomy and gloomy as you and especially Caca and ifail are portraying it.

Unemployment is at 20% right now since everything is closed and people go laid off.

How many of these business' actually went under during this time and will not reopen?

I'd like to see that figure.

When you see that figure you're not going to like it.

You don't seem to have much grasp regarding how things in economies are linked.

Do you think business owners can keep paying commercial rent and putting food on in their kids' mouths after being closed 2 months and then operating with maybe 1/5 of their normal volume?

And when those businesses can't sustain and fold, along with similar businesses, how do you think the mortgages on commercial real estate get paid?

And when those mortgages don't get paid what do you think happens?

Reactions: Billy Ocean

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Then all you can say is "Oops".

You endorsed idiotic incompetence at dealing with anything more complex than TV ratings and fleecing the poor to further fatten the rich and, well, here we are.
Go back and read my edit

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
When you see that figure you're not going to like it.

You don't seem to have much grasp regarding how things in economies are linked.

Do you think business owners can keep paying commercial rent and putting food on in their kids' mouths after being closed 2 months and then operating with maybe 1/5 of their normal volume?

And when those businesses can't sustain and fold, along with similar businesses, how do you think the mortgages on commercial real estate get paid?

And when those mortgages don't get paid what do you think happens?
BUT THE RICH CAN PAY FOR ALL OF THAT

Reactions: FecalFace

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
airlines are strategically important

look, I’m not saying hang the working class out to dry

but trying to equate lender of last resort activity by fed, where they are taking collateral, is not the same as just issuing checks to average joes

lt is different from a risk perspective and from an administrative perspective

At the end of the day, it is feasible to do financial engineering to save large institutions

it’s not feasible down the food chain, as we’re seeing with attempts to do this with small business loans

lts even less feasible at the individual household level
Absolutely false, remember when GW sent every household 300 bucks. If the will existed it would happen.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Things I learned in this thread:

The USA is immune from:

violent social unrest
insane levels of unemployment
food shortages and people starving
really bad stuff

Just like it was immune from the virus! :)

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
And did you not give any thought towards the fact that it might just backfire?
Of course, but this isn't on Trump, this is a natural disaster.

If anything,, this is successful because the states are managing the crisis in their own ways rather than a top down fashion. There's no way that the East Coast should be deciding what the West or the South or anywhere else does

Hell, Sacramento shouldn't be managing Modoc County the same way it's managing LA County but we're seeing that

The more local a government is, the better

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Those are among the customer base of those manufacturers. I'm not sure about the wisdom of propping up any one airline over another, but propping a bunch of them up as a group might be to our long term advantage.
Matt T said they don't have money because they spent profits on stock buy backs.

I don't really get stock buy backs

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Things I learned in this thread:

The USA is immune from:

violent social unrest
insane levels of unemployment
food shortages and people starving
really bad stuff

Just like it was immune from the virus! :)
That writing was on the wall over 20 years ago. Instead of changing our ways by caring for our citizens instead of just feeding corporate welfare and promoting further and further wealth inequality like a good 3rd World country does, what you posted above was inevitable. Covid-19 is just the nudge over the edge.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: FecalFace

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Of course, but this isn't on Trump, this is a natural disaster.

If anything,, this is successful because the states are managing the crisis in their own ways rather than a top down fashion. There's no way that the East Coast should be deciding what the West or the South or anywhere else does

Hell, Sacramento shouldn't be managing Modoc County the same way it's managing LA County but we're seeing that

The more local a government is, the better
Except when you have different counties or municipalities with different rules and you get people squishing into one area as a result.

Although I will admit that Huntington and Newport are always 909 central. In so many ways.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Then all you can say is "Oops".

You endorsed idiotic incompetence at dealing with anything more complex than TV ratings and fleecing the poor to further fatten the rich and, well, here we are.
That’s fair

I can cite cite my extreme sexual distress and penchant for nonsensical revenge against the world as a result, but that’s such a cliche I’m afraid

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Absolutely false, remember when GW sent every household 300 bucks. If the will existed it would happen.
You can keep the general public afloat for a few weeks, maybe a few months

People trying to claim that providing emergency financing to large institutions vs giving checks to individuals are the same thing are not really into details

Remember TARP? Big bailout right? The feds made money on TARP

Reactions: Ifallalot and afoaf

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Matt T said they don't have money because they spent profits on stock buy backs.

I don't really get stock buy backs
Company buys its own stock and retires it

This reduces number of shares in circulation and boosts the existing per share price

The stock market loves it because it shows the company is committed to keeping its share price high

It’s also tax efficient compared to dividends because dividends are taxed

The problem is companies tend to buy back their own stock even when share prices are inflated

They spend money on this instead of investment in their actual business

Reactions: PRCD

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
it'll be a depression. not a recession.

the speed and depth of the Fed's responses thus far confirm it.

the unemployment and nonfarm payrolls prints this coming Friday will be next level horrible.

if anything, unemployment numbers thus far are an underestimation as not everyone can even get into their state's system.