Poast your strenf training program

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Do you guys with back issues train in pain? How do you know how much (pain) is too much and you should refrain? I for sure made it worse yesterday.
This is how I recover from a back strain. I would do this as soon as I could and then progress back to the barbell. Pretty simple and damn effective.

Reactions: PRCD

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
So last week the surf was great. I had a new board that was checking all the boxes. My shoulder and neck would be throbbing with pain by the end of each session. On Thursday I knew what was coming and took two advil before surfing. My back was not creating any problems surfing but was mildly sore in the evening. I'm used to this now as it's been three years and I've come to expect it. My neck/shoulder will be the main thing happening while surfing but the next day it's always gone so I'll go ahead and surf again.

But then Thursday night my low back was unusually sore. Friday is my barbell day but my back was still so sore I figured I'd wait a day. Yesterday, my back was still sore but I said fukkit and went ahead and started. I realized before I started my DLs that it was not a good idea. Last night and this morning I was getting crippled by spasms, my worst flare up since my inital "injury."

Do you guys with back issues train in pain? How do you know how much (pain) is too much and you should refrain? I for sure made it worse yesterday.

Only other thing I've changed recently is I'm doing more and faster stair climbs at the turn around on my four mile runs.

View attachment 150614
I train in pain. Unless it's to the point that it physically impacts my ability to do what I'm doing. I've learned that at best resting can have an equal outcome to training but generally resting makes things worse or stubborn.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I think this video addresses the back pain that surfers get

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqA26FBAX5x/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

sitting on a board and the associated posture is terrible for your hips
It's impossible to cure piriformis syndrome because it doesn't exist. It's made up.

There is nothing about posture that is dangerous or unhealthy. The important thing is when you feel stress or pain from being in a position for too long...move.

Any pain from surfing would likely be due to repetitive use.

Life in't pain free. You are dying. Pain is part of that.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
It's impossible to cure piriformis syndrome because it doesn't exist. It's made up.

There is nothing about posture that is dangerous or unhealthy. The important thing is when you feel stress or pain from being in a position for too long...move.

Any pain from surfing would likely be due to repetitive use.

Life in't pain free. You are dying. Pain is part of that.
Made up?

Cleveland Clinic and Cedars Sinai identify it.

That's not my problem because I have no pain in the butt or leg this time around ( I did in the past), but Truth should look into it.

Mine was probably overuse- three 3 hour surf sessions last week, plus two 4 mile runs with stair climbs.
Going to try my bodyweight work out today (after two days of rest)- pull ups, push ups, bodyweight squats (into tube stance...to "access" position), ab rolls, supermans, side planks, external rotation with bands and YTWLs with 8 pound dumb bells.

Luckily the surf sucks right now so I don't feel tempted to go or that I'm missing it.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Made up?

Cleveland Clinic and Cedars Sinai identify it.

That's not my problem because I have no pain in the butt or leg this time around ( I did in the past), but Truth should look into it.

Mine was probably overuse- three 3 hour surf sessions last week, plus two 4 mile runs with stair climbs.
Going to try my bodyweight work out today (after two days of rest)- pull ups, push ups, bodyweight squats (into tube stance...to "access" position), ab rolls, supermans, side planks, external rotation with bands and YTWLs with 8 pound dumb bells.

Luckily the surf sucks right now so I don't feel tempted to go or that I'm missing it.
Edit:

Rather than me plagiarize...here's a great source

http://instagr.am/p/Cp3MmbNAgr9/

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PRCD

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
They described it....they described how people associate certain conditions with it....but thats it.

Here's the problem. Piriformis syndrome is described as nerve irritation due to the prirformis muscle causing nerve irritation. The nerve in questions goes through the piriformis muscle. Many claim that activity is the main culprit because it causes the muscle to activate or strengthen...then recommend stretching.

We know stretching does nothing.

We also know that every single muscle in the body is covered with and include nerves. It's how muscles work. To suggest that this one muscle/nerve combination is somehow unique in the way it operates and responds is beyond silly.

Piriformis Syndrome is similar to Fibromyalgia in that it is a description of symptoms but not a diagnosis.
How about "deep gluteal syndrome"?

I'm not the expert and am not suffering from this. but this sounds like a diagnosis. He describes physiologic pathologies- "abnormalities"- which could explain how, in some people, the muscle /nerve interaction is "unique."

On the other hand, this article describes a variety of "environmental conditions" to be the real cause of the pain-

When looking for scientific evidence that stretching helps piriformis syndrome I found this (my emphasis)-

Treatment was- "The patient's treatment was limited to hip-strengthening exercises and movement reeducation to correct the excessive hip adduction and internal rotation during functional tasks"

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This one is for you One Off

http://instagr.am/p/CjJQ3ECgtdW/
A chiropractor that doesn't crack backs, take necessary X-rays, convince patients they are imbalanced and broken or any of the other made up bullshit the physical guru's are selling today.
I don't have sciatica or piriformis, but for sure overuse is an issue. He talks sense. I'm not going to change my basic routine- one bodyweight day, one barbell day a week, one short, one long run a week. Bodyweigh stuff (hollow holds, bridges, planks) every night. Surfing is the variable. Last week I happily overdosed.

:cheers:

s-l500.jpg

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I'm not the expert and am not suffering from this. but this sounds like a diagnosis. He describes physiologic pathologies- "abnormalities"- which could explain how, in some people, the muscle /nerve interaction is "unique."

On the other hand, this article describes a variety of "environmental conditions" to be the real cause of the pain-

When looking for scientific evidence that stretching helps piriformis syndrome I found this (my emphasis)-

Treatment was- "The patient's treatment was limited to hip-strengthening exercises and movement reeducation to correct the excessive hip adduction and internal rotation during functional tasks"
"Syndromes" are a wastebasket diagnosis meaning, "Something's happening but we don't know what." There's no such thing as "excessive hip adduction" since you can move only in a way you're adapted to and your brain can control. There are skeletal variations among people that allow them different levels of hip mobility.

For your glutes and hips, you need to be able to control them again. Do this a few times but slowly on the eccentric, try to feel it:
I don't have sciatica or piriformis, but for sure overuse is an issue. He talks sense. I'm not going to change my basic routine- one bodyweight day, one barbell day a week, one short, one long run a week. Bodyweigh stuff (hollow holds, bridges, planks) every night. Surfing is the variable. Last week I happily overdosed.

:cheers:
"Overuse" is not an issue. You can run a lot because you've built up adaptations for it. Strength training is the same thing. There's no such thing as "overuse." Once again:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Overuse isn’t a thing?
when I first started rock climbing (well, indoor climbing walls), I was told not to go more than once a week because of over use issues
i was like,yeah, fvck that, I’m in better shape than that
so after a while I went twice a week and fucked up my elbow and finger joints
i thought it was over use
maybe not?
im rehabbing a shoulder from who knows what, but then getting back on the wall once or twice a week
wish me luck

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
"Syndromes" are a wastebasket diagnosis meaning, "Something's happening but we don't know what." There's no such thing as "excessive hip adduction" since you can move only in a way you're adapted to and your brain can control. There are skeletal variations among people that allow them different levels of hip mobility.

For your glutes and hips, you need to be able to control them again. Do this a few times but slowly on the eccentric, try to feel it:

"Overuse" is not an issue. You can run a lot because you've built up adaptations for it. Strength training is the same thing. There's no such thing as "overuse." Once again:
My over use is not from running and definitely not from weight training. It's from surfing. I must be adapted after 50 years (this year) of avid surfing. So it has to be over use or just use. I get a throbbing sore neck and left shoulder by the end of every session now days, especially at my local reef which has very long paddles. Low back tends to flare up after surfing my short board and days with a lot of small tubes where I'm frequently in a tight crouch.

I did my bodyweight day today and feel better.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

Pain starts in the brain. Some people are going to read benign neural inputs as pain, then the amygdala takes over and it persists. Using Fibromyalgia as an example.....it effects women at a greater degree than man and all sufferers have a history of past mental or psychological trauma. "Long covid" is showing almost identical demographics.

Nobody's body is symmetrical or pathologically "right". If these unique characteristics... via birth, gravity, or force, were as serious as many believe we would all be dead by now. sh!t with the amount of high force non-elastic impacts I've made with earth I should be a shopping cart today.

When there are people walking the earth with identical pathologies completely pain free...you know it's bullshit. It's not to say the patient doesn't feel pain....but the treatment needs to begin and end upstairs. If there is someone with an actual "unique" pathology....that's called an outlier and for him/her and the handful of other people on earth with a similar condition....that falls in the tough sh!t category.

Reactions: Ifallalot and PRCD