Poast your strenf training program

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I would just try and make it habitual. Actively tense your core when doing anything that makes you bend forward. Tying your shoes, reaching for something etc.
I do some of this. Not every time I bend forward, but if bending in a way more awkward than normal I will consciously tense my core. My favoured way of putting on my shoes is to stand upright on one leg, put on a shoe and tie the lace while standing on one leg. Its just easier to balance with a tense core.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Guess I could try to treat the pop up like a lift and do the valsalva thing....
My neighbour and I got some surfing lessons last year. Our teacher completely changed our popup. My neighbour was novice/intermediate and I am not sure how he was getting to his feet when we started. He started the lessons on a mid length and by the end of two months he was on a shortboard. I used to do the jump up with both feet at a time and had to relearn how to do the front foot first climb to the feet popup. He told us to do 20 every day on dry land practicing this. I wasn't quite that systematic about it, but I did practice at home. I am currently in the pre-surf ritual of doing 3 of them before a paddle out.

Most pros get to their feet using some sort of front foot first back foot on the tailpad first then front foot climb up. Our teacher didn't give it a name, but what we were shown is what I see on youtube sometimes described as the "chicken wing popup". This popup is not an explosive jump to the feet, its a smoother more controlled motion that naturally lends itself to a stabilised core to help the procedure. I have no idea what I am doing with my breathing during this! Maybe I should think about?

edit--> what was I saying?! It is back foot on the tail first, body stays close to the board , then the front foot plants and legs extend.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Most pros get to their feet using some sort of front foot first climb up.
Is the idea for the front foot to push the board down the face of the wave before you plant the rear foot, or is their some other benefit Im missing?

Another technique I see promoted by these coaches is the hands flat on the board for the pop up instead of pushing from the rails.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Is the idea for the front foot to push the board down the face of the wave before you plant the rear foot, or is their some other benefit Im missing?

Another technique I see promoted by these coaches is the hands flat on the board for the pop up instead of pushing from the rails.
I am not sure, my instructor did not say, but he was very definite about getting us to pop up that way and I took the approach of just doing what he was telling me. And sorry made a mess of describing it. Edited above. The hands are staying on the deck until both feet planted so that's keeping the front down I think.

This explanation seems to indicate less likely to make a mess of getting to the feet.

I have seen some video of Alex Knost on a mid length in Mexico I think, using the old explosive pop to both feet at the same time. So not all elite surfers will use the front first method.

This video is satire, but that pop up at 1:21 is so smooth that he must be doing the front foot first method (on a mid length of sorts) and I have definitely seen some really good longboar riders on instagram do a really smooth front foot first stand up. So its not a shortboar only thing.

I should say that despite my lessons I am still rubbish at surfing and I got the soloshot video to prove it :D My teacher did succeed in sorting my pop up though and I feel the benefits in terms of being in more control. Agree with not grabbing the rails, fingers drag in the water and hands flat means more distance between chest and deck to get that front foot planted - this was explained to me by an amateur competitive surfer a long time ago

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
He forgot to mention battle ropes, kettle bells and one legged deadlifts.
I had to put that guy on 'ignore'.

Hatfield squats are a great exercise - a "poor man's leg press" that still assists the squat - you get maybe a little stability/help in the hole and extra eccentrics that give most of the training effect.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Rain or shine.

Friday is my barbell day. We had planned an excursion in the afternoon so I decided to do the work in the morning but it was sprinkling and I have to do my lifting outside. SInce the forecast is for two more days of rain, and the longer I delay the more DOMS I expect, I just went ahead and lifted in the drizzling rain. My wife thinks I'm cuckoo.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I haven't played with the barbell and have only gone for a couple short (4 and 8 mile) runs in the last 2-1/2 weeks. Surfing has been my only strength training and it's been mostly mental.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
No significant swell on the horizon. Time to dust off the barbell after another 2 weeks off. How far do I have to scale back with only one lifting session in the last month???

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
No significant swell on the horizon. Time to dust off the barbell after another 2 weeks off. How far do I have to scale back with only one lifting session in the last month???
You've probably already figured it out by now but a month off I usually go pretty light first session back.

Right now for me the inner bitch is strong and I've been dragging myself to train. Not sure why because right now the bar is really moving and the weight is going up fairly rapidly. Usually this gets me hyped to train as this happens once per year if I'm lucky. I hate to let this go but I decided to train only twice last week and this week the lifts are going to be a single top set at RPE 5 and no backoff sets. I think i'm in a funk because the weather has been fucking cold in the morning and work has been mentally consuming so I'm gong to switch gears of the only thing I have total control of and see if the two week mind break gets me focused again.

My advice: I'm not a patient person but it's important to take the long view of your health and not try and push things. A new ache and pain doesn't only hurt but can be mentally taxing or stress inducing. Take your time and make sure your mind and body are right. At the same time remain consistent. During a strong run of surf I continue training even if the intensity and training days are reduced. It keeps you ready and also keeps you from modifying your normal routine too much. As we age normal routine is important.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
NUCLEAR SUMMIT:

Edit: lol Rip is such an angry rhinoceros.

Last edited:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
My advice: I'm not a patient person but it's important to take the long view of your health and not try and push things. A new ache and pain doesn't only hurt but can be mentally taxing or stress inducing. Take your time and make sure your mind and body are right. At the same time remain consistent. During a strong run of surf I continue training even if the intensity and training days are reduced. It keeps you ready and also keeps you from modifying your normal routine too much. As we age normal routine is important.
Sounds like good advice.

Mid-way through Feb with a cyclone swell just starting I got backslammed on a super shallow sand bar - limped out of the surf.

Tried to surf my way through a weeklong 6-8ft swell with poor results. So sore and stiff I could barely surf.

Had to back everything down to a bare minimum - for almost a week a brisk 30 min walk was all I could manage.

Just coming back to training now.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I guess you would ever to assume there is a problem with bending over during the squat to find the video useful.
Some of us are trying to train legs, not just train squat. My oldest son told me I "look like a funnel."

Also, probably not advisable to go into Olympic lifting if you have this anthropometry.