Poast your strenf training program

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
My over use is not from running and definitely not from weight training. It's from surfing. I must be adapted after 50 years (this year) of avid surfing. So it has to be over use or just use. I get a throbbing sore neck and left shoulder by the end of every session now days, especially at my local reef which has very long paddles. Low back tends to flare up after surfing my short board and days with a lot of small tubes where I'm frequently in a tight crouch.

I did my bodyweight day today and feel better.
You could have a nerve issue in your neck. The cervical spine is one of those parts of your body that is going to degenerate as a biped. What you're feeling is very common and generally resolves quickly. Usually during the plane ride home for me from a surf trip I can feel pain shooting from my neck into my elbow. So I stay active, don't pick up, pull or push anything heavy for a few days and keep up on the ibuprofen for a week or so. 600mg three times per day usually has me pain free in a day or two and after about A week I stop taking them. if your just going to surf through the pain then it's either going to persist....or not...it's a mystery. This is probably a good tome for you to stop checking the surf for a few days and just run on flat ground to stay conditioned. I would stay off the stairs in your previous photo until the pain mostly resolves.

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I know I have a nerve issue in my neck because, at one point, I was concurrently getting tingling and numbness in my thumb. This predates may back issues. I even got a strange rash on the back of my thumb that the PTs said they'd never seen. They thought it was unrelated but I thought it was more than a coincidence that it happened at the exact same spot as the tingling.

The PT gave me an exercise- external rotation using a band, when rotated outwards pinch the shoulder blades and then look up. I still do those. When I look up, it's like a switch turning on the pain in the shoulder. I can paddle long distances without much shoulder pain (in the summer when it's flat) because I keep my head down on the deck on my board most of the time.

Ibuprofen (vitamin I) works for me but I try to limit my use because it is not good for the heart. I asked my cardiologist about it and he said it's OK occasionally. He wouldn't say exactly how much is too much. I don't know if your regime, 1800mg a day for a week, would be a good idea for me.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I know I have a nerve issue in my neck because, at one point, I was concurrently getting tingling and numbness in my thumb.
That could easily be from tight scalenes and pec minor. Try some slow tai chi moves.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I know I have a nerve issue in my neck because, at one point, I was concurrently getting tingling and numbness in my thumb. This predates may back issues. I even got a strange rash on the back of my thumb that the PTs said they'd never seen. They thought it was unrelated but I thought it was more than a coincidence that it happened at the exact same spot as the tingling.

The PT gave me an exercise- external rotation using a band, when rotated outwards pinch the shoulder blades and then look up. I still do those. When I look up, it's like a switch turning on the pain in the shoulder. I can paddle long distances without much shoulder pain (in the summer when it's flat) because I keep my head down on the deck on my board most of the time.

Ibuprofen (vitamin I) works for me but I try to limit my use because it is not good for the heart. I asked my cardiologist about it and he said it's OK occasionally. He wouldn't say exactly how much is too much. I don't know if your regime, 1800mg a day for a week, would be a good idea for me.

I usually take 600mg three times a day and really feel it working after about 24 hours. Ibuprofen isn't fast acting for moderate pain and takes some time to build up to sufficient levels to work well. There are several case studies that show it is as effective as opioids for moderate pain if correctly dosed. The dangers of ibuprofen have been greatly overblown but like everything...it's better to not make it a habit. If you are using it at these dosages for more than a few days to a week it's probably time to look at a stronger alternative.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I usually take 600mg three times a day and really feel it working after about 24 hours. Ibuprofen isn't fast acting for moderate pain and takes some time to build up to sufficient levels to work well. There are several case studies that show it is as effective as opioids for moderate pain if correctly dosed. The dangers of ibuprofen have been greatly overblown but like everything...it's better to not make it a habit. If you are using it at these dosages for more than a few days to a week it's probably time to look at a stronger alternative.
My vitamin I usage starts when I surf consecutive days in a row. I 'lltake 400mg before going out the second or third day (it's rarely good around here four days in a row). Sometimes 400 that evening. I might try your higher dosage regime for a couple days right now because the back thing is lingering.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Ibuprofen gives me the shits and makes me super tired

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
When you do that dosage do you find the pan relief lasts? Like it beat down the inflammation and keeps it down for awhile? Or is the relief just while you are going through the regime?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
IMO, one of the most valuable things you can know for long term athletic viability is how to work around things. I think people get way too caught up in numbers, weights and their list of lifts for the day. I've been there. Must complete!! Forget that. Once you know how to lift properly, use the instinctual principal. (tm) If something doesn't feel right, work around it. Reduce weight. Try a different exercise. See if your body lets you in. Sometimes it will. You need experience for this however. There's discomfort that you can work around/through and there's things that you need to walk away from. Temporarily. Knowing the difference is the trick. And you can't learn it out of a video/book.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
IMO, one of the most valuable things you can know for long term athletic viability is how to work around things. I think people get way too caught up in numbers, weights and their list of lifts for the day. I've been there. Must complete!! Forget that. Once you know how to lift properly, use the instinctual principal. (tm) If something doesn't feel right, work around it. Reduce weight. Try a different exercise. See if your body lets you in. Sometimes it will. You need experience for this however. There's discomfort that you can work around/through and there's things that you need to walk away from. Temporarily. Knowing the difference is the trick. And you can't learn it out of a video/book.
So true. I battled a back strain for almost 2 years and it was mostly because I was ignoring the 'instinctual principal' and just doing what was supposed to work. I dialed back the weights for a bit, strain cured itself, and now I'm close to 100% and stronger than ever.

Reactions: VonMeister

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
When you do that dosage do you find the pan relief lasts? Like it beat down the inflammation and keeps it down for awhile? Or is the relief just while you are going through the regime?
usually things resolve in a week...at least the initial acute pain. I don't have recent experience with significant pain lasting for more than a couple/few days. if I wake up and pain is just slightly annoying at best I don't take anything any longer and train or do activities as tolerable.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
The benefit of repetitions performed near failure for strength adaptation are very limited. If you are doing a set of 4 to failure you received more benefit from your last couple of warm up sets and the first couple reps than those last two reps you had to grind out. On the other hand the risk of injury increases when working near failure.

With a barbell I use velocity (bar speed) as my main focus for lifter effort. A slight reduction in bar speed is expected for last warm ups or working sets. A noticeable reduction in velocity shows is the effort I'm looking for a heavy working set. A pause, hitch, grind or noticeable degradation in form shows me we went too far. The only caveat to this is if the lifter is a beginner...beginners respond well to everything.....or if we are finishing a heavy training block. It's good to get acclimated to a very heavy sets near failure if only just to know what those sets feel like to help a lifter understand their intensity scale.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
A few months ago, Alan Thrall did a video on why he wasn’t going to use steroids and why he’s doing more running. He a said that his biggest lifts were behind him, and even if he used gear to go further, he’d eventually reach another plateau and he’d have to stop using someday so what’s the point? Every lifter reaches a point where their best lifts are behind them, so you’re going to have to try new exercises and pursue some other goal.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
A few months ago, Alan Thrall did a video on why he wasn’t going to use steroids and why he’s doing more running. He a said that his biggest lifts were behind him, and even if he used gear to go further, he’d eventually reach another plateau and he’d have to stop using someday so what’s the point? Every lifter reaches a point where their best lifts are behind them, so you’re going to have to try new exercises and pursue some other goal.
My best lifts were behind me before I ever started. ;)

My goals now are simply general health and to be able to surf as long as possible. Even running was an adjunct to surfing. I don't know how long I'll be able to surf, but I also hope to be hiking into my 90's. My grandfather played 1/2 rounds of golf 2-3x a week until he was 98 (no cart).They gave him a cover story in the local newspaper. He was quoted saying the hardest thing about golfing at that age was all his partners passed away and he was forced to play with young guys in their 70's. He would go for a walk every evening that he did not play golf.

How bad does a shoulder/neck/back have to get before considering resorting to a cortisone injection?

Reactions: slipped_disc

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
i like that guy
i bumped into a bunch of plateaus last year and seriously considered getting on cypionate for awhile
i'm 51, don't have any big athletic aspirations. i don't "need" the enhancement from test - in fact, now i worry that i would injure tendons, ligaments if i blasted

right now i'm in tax season slump
haven't lifted in a few weeks and probably won't lift for a few more
it will be cool to lower the weight and ramp back up over a couple months

Reactions: PRCD

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Alan is awesome. I really enjoy some of his content.

A person that has been training for years can still hit PR's into their 40's. Alan's strength limitations aren't age related...he's as strong as he's ever going to be due to his genetics. He's smart enough to know that using anabolic steroids isn't going to change that. Perhaps he see's a 5% strength improvement. Does that change anything for him? It doesn't make him more competitive because the elite strength athletes in his weight group lift a fuckton more than him already. Also...nothing makes you want to work out less than owning a gym.

Also there's been plenty of studies on the use of testosterone. There isn't a remarkable difference in physical performance for people inside the normal range....so going from say 200-700 isn't going to make you stronger. You would have to blast it to see tangible benefits and then deal with things like water retention and high blood pressure. All is smart enough to know that ain't worth it.

I'm 56 and I don't think I've hit my limit yet...but I didn't begin training seriously until well into my 40's. I do believe I can still reach my limit but it's going to be over a much monger period of time than if I was in my 30's.

Reactions: freeride76 and PRCD

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
My only goals at this point are preservation of athleticism. Movement. Injury prevention. And minimization of pain. I got forced into this in my late 20s by a bad injury. In some ways it was a blessing. My father was skiing black Diamond runs at 85. I want that.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Sarcopenia has been defined as an age related, involuntary loss of skeletal muscle mass and strength. Beginning as early as the 4th decade of life, evidence suggests that skeletal muscle mass and skeletal muscle strength decline in a linear fashion, with up to 50% of mass being lost by the 8th decade of life [1].

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Bottom line, use it or lose it. Gotta at least slow it down if you want to remain active as long as possible.

After that, my plan is heroin.

Reactions: averagejoe

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Upping protein, along with lifting, is supposed to slow it down.
I think I need to do something in this regard. I have only eaten one meal a day for decades. (majority of the time). I can't be getting enough.