Poast your strenf training program

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think I need to do something in this regard. I have only eaten one meal a day for decades. (majority of the time). I can't be getting enough.
You could count one day.

myfitnesspal

The key is to go higher (a gram per pound of ideal weight) and see if you notice a difference.

I never hit my numbers.

It's hard when you try not to go high calorie.

You need to go lower calorie higher protein when you get older.

I like beer too.

Just a couple.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
You could count one day.

myfitnesspal

The key is to go higher (a gram per pound of ideal weight) and see if you notice a difference.

I never hit my numbers.

It's hard when you try not to go high calorie.

You need to go lower calorie higher protein when you get older.

I like beer too.

Just a couple.
Can you go high calorie and then burn them doing cardio ( for me running) and still have the protein available for muscle building/repair?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Can you go high calorie and then burn them doing cardio ( for me running) and still have the protein available for muscle building/repair?
YES!

That is the fun of cardio. You get to eat high calorie.

But I bet you are not getting gram per pound of ideal body weight.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Maybe you would feel bet
Maybe an alternative to running would you leave you in less pain?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Maybe you would feel bet

Maybe an alternative to running would you leave you in less pain?
Running has never caused me any pain. Well, not since I started using the sandals. Before that my knees would hurt. I would run the marathon and not have any appreciable pain. Surfing does it. I would give up running if it interfered with my surfing. I ran 13 miles yesterday after not having done anything more than 6 miles in 7 weeks, and had no issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Nope. Probably not even close, but am aware of it now and make an effort to find some.
You have to do two shakes.

These are easy but not cheap. But 40 grams is good. Have in the morning.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Alan is awesome. I really enjoy some of his content.

A person that has been training for years can still hit PR's into their 40's. Alan's strength limitations aren't age related...he's as strong as he's ever going to be due to his genetics. He's smart enough to know that using anabolic steroids isn't going to change that. Perhaps he see's a 5% strength improvement. Does that change anything for him? It doesn't make him more competitive because the elite strength athletes in his weight group lift a fuckton more than him already. Also...nothing makes you want to work out less than owning a gym.

Also there's been plenty of studies on the use of testosterone. There isn't a remarkable difference in physical performance for people inside the normal range....so going from say 200-700 isn't going to make you stronger. You would have to blast it to see tangible benefits and then deal with things like water retention and high blood pressure. All is smart enough to know that ain't worth it.

I'm 56 and I don't think I've hit my limit yet...but I didn't begin training seriously until well into my 40's. I do believe I can still reach my limit but it's going to be over a much monger period of time than if I was in my 30's.
I think Alan's issues are as you said - he's a gym owner. Also, programming advanced or elite strength athletes is a lot harder - maybe you're adding only 10 pounds to a lift over a macrocycle at an advanced level and over a mesocycle at an elite level. Lots of things can impede progress when strength gains are so much relatively smaller and it's easy to call it a day unless you're a competitive powerlifter.

Running has never caused me any pain. Well, not since I started using the sandals. Before that my knees would hurt. I would run the marathon and not have any appreciable pain. Surfing does it. I would give up running if it interfered with my surfing. I ran 13 miles yesterday after not having done anything more than 6 miles in 7 weeks, and had no issues.
It's not the running. I think it's your mobility causing the surfing issues and perception of harm (fear) impeding you in strength. If you think deadlifting is injuring your back, the movement will be painful.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I think Alan's issues are as you said - he's a gym owner. Also, programming advanced or elite strength athletes is a lot harder - maybe you're adding only 10 pounds to a lift over a macrocycle at an advanced level and over a mesocycle at an elite level. Lots of things can impede progress when strength gains are so much relatively smaller and it's easy to call it a day unless you're a competitive powerlifter.

It's not the running. I think it's your mobility causing the surfing issues and perception of harm (fear) impeding you in strength. If you think deadlifting is injuring your back, the movement will be painful.
I don't think either diagnosis is on the mark. Main surfing issue is shoulder neck and there is definitely some nerve impingement given the the tingling thumb. And wear and tear after 50 years of surfing. Sore back happens when I surf multiple days in a row, especially on shortboard. I don't think it's mobility.

I don't think deadlifting is injuring me. I thought it was curing me or at least. protecting me. I started my session the other day with a sore back but thought fukkit it's been almost two weeks. I was only into my first warm up sets at weights I've been doing for 6 months (I'd plateaued because of surfing so much this winter). First set hurt. But again, I said fukkit, added weight, did one rep and the pain was bad enough I said Nope. And then it just started pinging with every movement. I've been stretching and it gets better after stretching. Sleeping at night it freezes up. I don't think it's serious this time.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't think either diagnosis is on the mark. Main surfing issue is shoulder neck and there is definitely some nerve impingement given the the tingling thumb.
That could easily be muscular.
And wear and tear after 50 years of surfing. Sore back happens when I surf multiple days in a row, especially on shortboard. I don't think it's mobility.
"Wear and tear" is not harmful.

There's a difference between your neurological tolerance - where your brain decides to turn on pain - and your tissue tolerance. In chronic pain, your neurologic tolerance is much less than your tissue tolerance (right)..
1680025012955.png

I don't think deadlifting is injuring me. I thought it was curing me or at least. protecting me. I started my session the other day with a sore back but thought fukkit it's been almost two weeks. I was only into my first warm up sets at weights I've been doing for 6 months (I'd plateaued because of surfing so much this winter). First set hurt. But again, I said fukkit, added weight, did one rep and the pain was bad enough I said Nope. And then it just started pinging with every movement. I've been stretching and it gets better after stretching. Sleeping at night it freezes up. I don't think it's serious this time.
Pain is a lot like water in a bathtub. When the water level is low-enough, you don't have pain. The more things going on in your life, the more you add to the stuff in the tub. Eventually, too many things make it overflow into pain. Surfing + running + weightlifting are too much for your nervous system. In this case, I'd back-off on the weight and volume and keep the water in the tub.
1680025244819.png

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That could easily be muscular.

"Wear and tear" is not harmful.

There's a difference between your neurological tolerance - where your brain decides to turn on pain - and your tissue tolerance. In chronic pain, your neurologic tolerance is much less than your tissue tolerance (right)..
View attachment 151201

Pain is a lot like water in a bathtub. When the water level is low-enough, you don't have pain. The more things going on in your life, the more you add to the stuff in the tub. Eventually, too many things make it overflow into pain. Surfing + running + weightlifting are too much for your nervous system. In this case, I'd back-off on the weight and volume and keep the water in the tub.
View attachment 151202
I remember you posting the chart. I was thinking by pushing past the new protect by pain level maybe I could reset it at a higher level. Maybe it doesn’t work that way and I lowered it.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I remember you posting the chart. I was thinking by pushing past the new protect by pain level maybe I could reset it at a higher level. Maybe it doesn’t work that way and I lowered it.
Now you're getting it. I'd find a weight and volume you can lift without pain given your current level of other activities and slowly build from there. If you try to push through the pain, you'll decrease the pain tolerance which is the opposite of what you want to do.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Now you're getting it. I'd find a weight and volume you can lift without pain given your current level of other activities and slowly build from there. If you try to push through the pain, you'll decrease the pain tolerance which is the opposite of what you want to do.
I tore the labrum in my shoulder and spent most of last year rehabbing. Doc recommended surgery. Instead I went the conservative route and benched and pressed with just the bar...adding weight and slowly reducing volume. I was completely healed at 8 months and benching within 20% of my pre injury e1rm. Had I gone the surgery route I would have been completely healed in 8 months and completely detrained...basically starting from scratch. If you're willing to put the work in the body can heal from some pretty bad injuries. .

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
....or you could just put the bar in the right place on your back...high or low bar doesn't matter....and just squat keeping the bar over mid foot. Everything else just takes care of it self. Back angle, knee travel etc mean nothing and should not be considered provided the bar remains over midfoot. All this other stuff is the butt wink of the early 2000's.

Nino is an olympic lifter and has a very different and unique requirement from the squat where maximal force production isn't the only thing considered.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
....or you could just put the bar in the right place on your back...high or low bar doesn't matter....and just squat keeping the bar over mid foot. Everything else just takes care of it self. Back angle, knee travel etc mean nothing and should not be considered provided the bar remains over midfoot. All this other stuff is the butt wink of the early 2000's.

Nino is an olympic lifter and has a very different and unique requirement from the squat where maximal force production isn't the only thing considered.
Come on, back angle definitely affects how much you can lift. Why do you think powerlifters try to get their legs as wide as possible? It's to keep their backs as straight as possible.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Come on, back angle definitely affects how much you can lift. Why do you think powerlifters try to get their legs as wide as possible? It's to keep their backs as straight as possible.
There's a big difference between strength development and doing a max lift while trying to limit the range of motion as much as possible. Legs are wide to limit range of motion. Daniel Bell uses a narrow stance but does a sort of ballet plie which does the same thing. There's also the issue of a large midsection. Many powerlifters could not get their gut between their knees.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
There's a big difference between strength development and doing a max lift while trying to limit the range of motion as much as possible. Legs are wide to limit range of motion. Daniel Bell uses a narrow stance but does a sort of ballet plie which does the same thing. There's also the issue of a large midsection. Many powerlifters could not get their gut between their knees.
Powerlifters are obviously an extreme example - they're so wide that the squat suit takes over for the hips in the hole and they're limiting the range of motion with foot width. For non-powerlifters or people just training for strength, widening the stance and/or turning out your toes also gets your femurs out of the way if you have long femurs. You’re going between your legs more than you’re hinging at the hips. To do this, you might have to work on hip mobility. A more-upright torso throughout the squat definitely helps you lift moar.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Powerlifters are obviously an extreme example - they're so wide that the squat suit takes over for the hips in the hole and they're limiting the range of motion with foot width. For non-powerlifters or people just training for strength, widening the stance and/or turning out your toes also gets your femurs out of the way if you have long femurs. You’re going between your legs more than you’re hinging at the hips. To do this, you might have to work on hip mobility. A more-upright torso throughout the squat definitely helps you lift moar.
Like I said, Daniel Bell uses a very narrow stance and squats with a vertical back angle. I don't know why you are using anomalies like professional powerlifters or even olympic lifters as an example.

If you have long femurs you will have more forward knee travel and increased shin angle. It's silly to not just accept this as a fact and to continue to try and fix what isn't broken.

Monkeying with your stance and foot angle is going to impact depth. If you want to squat with your back vertical and your spine in hyper extension that's go ahead but your strength development is going to suffer....but if you're not planning on competing who cares.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Like I said, Daniel Bell uses a very narrow stance and squats with a vertical back angle. I don't know why you are using anomalies like professional powerlifters or even olympic lifters as an example.
Daniel Bell is making my case, not yours. He has a pretty wide stance. His heels are outside his hips. He's just not relying much on a squat suit like the other 'tards that have a super-wide stance.
If you have long femurs you will have more forward knee travel and increased shin angle. It's silly to not just accept this as a fact and to continue to try and fix what isn't broken.
Forward knee travel is not the issue. In fact, it's limited by your back-angle and hip hinge as that guy with the mannequin explained.
Monkeying with your stance and foot angle is going to impact depth.
It's going to impact recruitment, not depth. A wider stance and more outward turn of the feet will recruit more adductors. However, this is traded off against more vertical back angle.