Poast your strenf training program

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Some of us are trying to train legs, not just train squat. My oldest son told me I "look like a funnel."

Also, probably not advisable to go into Olympic lifting if you have this anthropometry.
Make a jump box or use abench and do 30x sets and try sissy squats:shaka:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Some of us are trying to train legs, not just train squat. My oldest son told me I "look like a funnel."

Also, probably not advisable to go into Olympic lifting if you have this anthropometry.
You could just do leg extensions. If you're not trying to train the squat there is no reason to squat. If guys with long femurs want to train the low bar back squat they can just bend over...which is perfectly fine......or they can train high bar. For the general public and generally people can lift a little more weight low bar than high bar...but it's not significant or meaningful for training or health outcomes and only matters on instagram.

The Olympic lifts start with the hips low and the chest up which would be a very easy position for someone with long femurs. Olympic lifts from the floor look more like the second half of a front squat than a deadlift and the bar path stays well forward than that of the deadlift. This position does reduce the lifters ability to lift a maximum amount of weight from the floor, but because both lifts end overhead there is no reason to get anywhere near max effort from the floor.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Make a jump box or use abench and do 30x sets and try sissy squats:shaka:
The best solution I found at home is land mine hack squats and Hatfield squats. VonMeister gave me the Hatfield squat idea.

I'm also doing more bulgarian SS after I snatch-grip DL.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I was just reading an article today that went through the details of a hypertrophy study that concluded in their test group that the benefits of high repetition for hypertrophy diminished at around 15 reps and ended or became negative beyond 20.
That probably depends on the lift used and the muscle trained.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
That probably depends on the lift used and the muscle trained.
I had it completely wrong but here's the article and the study in case you're interested. I don't believe the authors are claiming that this is settled science or anything....just interesting data points for consumption at your own risk.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The best solution I found at home is land mine hack squats and Hatfield squats. VonMeister gave me the Hatfield squat idea.

I'm also doing more bulgarian SS after I snatch-grip DL.
I do a mix of them all change it up and combine dumbbell squats, sissy squats, lunges, side lunges, and box jump. Also do calf press standing and sitting.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I had it completely wrong but here's the article and the study in case you're interested. I don't believe the authors are claiming that this is settled science or anything....just interesting data points for consumption at your own risk.

This is basically what Israetel et al say. Their programs have buttons to dial-up the volume depending on the ease with which you completed exercises that day.
1678292878530.png

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I was just reading an article today that went through the details of a hypertrophy study that concluded in their test group that the benefits of high repetition for hypertrophy diminished at around 15 reps and ended or became negative beyond 20.
I do them "box jumps x5 reps 6 sets" in a combo rotation of cardio boxing stuff " 1 minute reps x6 sets" before, between, and after my weight lifting sets I always do a least 3 sets and change the reps weekly and sometimes timed sets.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
This is basically what Israetel et al say. Their programs have buttons to dial-up the volume depending on the ease with which you completed exercises that day.
View attachment 149879
This has been how I've trained for years. When progress is limited or halted I add volume...usually extra work in the 65% intensity range and after a few weeks decide if it's working or if I need more volume or to just add intensity to the aded volume. If I'm doing a top set, followed by a back off set, followed by 3 sets of volume work I would probably increase the volume by a set or two....if I'm already at 5 sets of volume work its time to consider adding intensity to the volume sets and likely reducing the number of volume sets...which give you room to reorganize later. The trick is to allow time for progress to begin again. There's good and bad training days and you don't want either to dictate change.

Reactions: PRCD

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'll probably put this in the running thread because I'm preaching to the choir here. First on his list - strength training, or as he puts it , "...the clanging and banging of barbells."

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'll probably put this in the running thread because I'm preaching to the choir here. First on his list - strength training, or as he puts it , "...the clanging and banging of barbells."

This is what I do but a hybrid between swimming and boxing because I figure best combo for me to continue surfing past my golden years.

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So last week the surf was great. I had a new board that was checking all the boxes. My shoulder and neck would be throbbing with pain by the end of each session. On Thursday I knew what was coming and took two advil before surfing. My back was not creating any problems surfing but was mildly sore in the evening. I'm used to this now as it's been three years and I've come to expect it. My neck/shoulder will be the main thing happening while surfing but the next day it's always gone so I'll go ahead and surf again.

But then Thursday night my low back was unusually sore. Friday is my barbell day but my back was still so sore I figured I'd wait a day. Yesterday, my back was still sore but I said fukkit and went ahead and started. I realized before I started my DLs that it was not a good idea. Last night and this morning I was getting crippled by spasms, my worst flare up since my inital "injury."

Do you guys with back issues train in pain? How do you know how much (pain) is too much and you should refrain? I for sure made it worse yesterday.

Only other thing I've changed recently is I'm doing more and faster stair climbs at the turn around on my four mile runs.

img_1354.jpg

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
So last week the surf was great. I had a new board that was checking all the boxes. My shoulder and neck would be throbbing with pain by the end of each session. On Thursday I knew what was coming and took two advil before surfing. My back was not creating any problems surfing but was mildly sore in the evening. I'm used to this now as it's been three years and I've come to expect it. My neck/shoulder will be the main thing happening while surfing but the next day it's always gone so I'll go ahead and surf again.

But then Thursday night my low back was unusually sore. Friday is my barbell day but my back was still so sore I figured I'd wait a day. Yesterday, my back was still sore but I said fukkit and went ahead and started. I realized before I started my DLs that it was not a good idea. Last night and this morning I was getting crippled by spasms, my worst flare up since my inital "injury."

Do you guys with back issues train in pain? How do you know how much (pain) is too much and you should refrain? I for sure made it worse yesterday.

Only other thing I've changed recently is I'm doing more and faster stair climbs at the turn around on my four mile runs.
YOu're already adapted to running, so I doubt it's anything to do with that. Most likely, you're just tight in certain areas and need to learn to release them.

Reactions: encladd and One-Off

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Thanks. Is there a point where you postpone training?
If it's not feeling better after a warmup then do rack pulls or postpone training. Most of what you feel is psychological. I've started many workouts not feeling good then feeling better by the end.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
If it's not feeling better after a warmup then do rack pulls or postpone training. Most of what you feel is psychological. I've started many workouts not feeling good then feeling better by the end.
That's what I was hoping yesterday. Got to bent over rows and the back said "No!" I mentioned awhile ago, that the cantilevered position triggers a response.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
This exercise helps me out when my back is compromised but still somewhat functional:

static back extensions. Best equipment for it would be a back extension rack at the gym but you can use a yoga ball too. Important thing is to simply hold it in a neutral spine. Don’t go into extension or flexion.

you can make it more challenging by adding some super lightweight dumbells and doing YTLWs. Great exercise for back and shoulder health.