Poast your strenf training program

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm reading Juggernaut's strength training manual ATM. The print quality sux and their writing isn't very clear, but their discussion of training variables is invaluable if you want to tweak your own program. I still think PP is necessary to choose a program to tweak. I was at an intermediate strenf level (415 lb LBBS, 505 DL, 300 lb bench) but switched to some other crap for 3 years. Did a hypertrophy program for the past year. Israetel et al said most intermediates need to do some hypertrophy training for at least 6 months. My strenf levels have dropped back down to beginner. I haven't DLd or benched in a long time. My HBBS is about 205 6x6 with no belt. I think I'm going to do the SS 3x5 for a few months and get back to intermediate strenf. I'm not sure how valuable the powercleans in the SS 3x5 are. Since they are so technique-dependent, I'm guessing they're not very.

After that, I'm going to switch to the 4-day Split Routine in PP with Volume/maximum intent to move (MIM) [1] days as the contrasting variables each week. I haven't figured this out yet. DE days don't appear to have much value in a strenf program as previously reported and MIM stimulates all of the same fibers

SOrry @VonMeister, Israetel et al are in favor of DE days. What do you do for power training? Do you mix strenf and power days in your template? Poast it here.

@Havoc you too.

Edit: I just ordered PP (3rd). The second edition doesn't have enough intermediate programs/discussion. I see Rip still likes DE days.

[1] Scientific Principles of Strength Training, Israetel et al, pg. 84. MIM isn't defined very well as a training variable. This book needed better editing and an index.

Last edited:

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
wtf is strenf duu?

I'm currently re-running LP since I took some time off and trying to get my strenf back. Then I'll do HLM. No powercleans, or OHP for me. Swap between bp and ngbp.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
HLM?
NGBP?

what are you doing instead of power cleans? I suppose you could substitute pull-ups for power cleans.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
HLM?
NGBP?

what are you doing instead of power cleans? I suppose you could substitute pull-ups for power cleans.
I don't do power cleans. I don't think they are necessary for non athletes. Pendalay rows are plenty. Probably one of the best developmental tools outside the big 4. I do pendalay rows once a week and depending on the program they would be myo reps, sets of ten, or sets of 5ish.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I'm reading Juggernaut's strength training manual ATM. The print quality sux and their writing isn't very clear, but their discussion of training variables is invaluable if you want to tweak your own program. I still think PP is necessary to choose a program to tweak. I was at an intermediate strenf level (415 lb LBBS, 505 DL, 300 lb bench) but switched to some other crap for 3 years. Did a hypertrophy program for the past year. Israetel et al said most intermediates need to do some hypertrophy training for at least 6 months. My strenf levels have dropped back down to beginner. I haven't DLd or benched in a long time. My HBBS is about 205 6x6 with no belt. I think I'm going to do the SS 3x5 for a few months and get back to intermediate strenf. I'm not sure how valuable the powercleans in the SS 3x5 are. Since they are so technique-dependent, I'm guessing they're not very.

After that, I'm going to switch to the 4-day Split Routine in PP with Volume/maximum intent to move (MIM) [1] days as the contrasting variables each week. I haven't figured this out yet. DE days don't appear to have much value in a strenf program as previously reported and MIM stimulates all of the same fibers

SOrry @VonMeister, Israetel et al are in favor of DE days. What do you do for power training? Do you mix strenf and power days in your template? Poast it here.

@Havoc you too.

Edit: I just ordered PP (3rd). The second edition doesn't have enough intermediate programs/discussion. I see Rip still likes DE days.

[1] Scientific Principles of Strength Training, Israetel et al, pg. 84. MIM isn't defined very well as a training variable. This book needed better editing and an index.
What are your goals right now and how much time do you have to devote to training.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
What are your goals right now and how much time do you have to devote to training.
Probably going to train 4x/ week for 45 minutes to an hour. My goals are just to get stronger in the basic lifts while surfing 3x/week. I don't play any other sports but I do like to be strong for slappin foos. There seem to be a lot more fooos around these days.

I thought Pendlay said the "Pendlay row" was just a normal row where you set the bar on the ground.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

@Havoc you too.

I usually keep my exercise selection similar with a focus on compounds, however I’ve found it helpful to change up the number of reps periodically.

Also, look at your calorie intake. My numbers sh!t the bed when I’m cutting calories. Maybe add calories at a slow rate (100/day every week).

I’m a big fan of power cleans. I don’t think theyre great at targeting anything in particular, but I do feel like they wake up the whole body in a way that translates to #gains in your physique and numbers. I’d keep them in but at a higher rep range. On days that I do power cleans I clonk out early.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Probably going to train 4x/ week for 45 minutes to an hour. My goals are just to get stronger in the basic lifts while surfing 3x/week. I don't play any other sports but I do like to be strong for slappin foos. There seem to be a lot more fooos around these days.

I thought Pendlay said the "Pendlay row" was just a normal row where you set the bar on the ground.
Setting it on the ground between reps makes it a much more dynamic movement. You're moving a lot more weight with a lot more muscle recruitment. A standard barbell row focuses attention on the upper back and lats concentrically and the lower back isometrically.

If you want to focus on strength and still surf 3x times per week you need to manage fatigue while still getting adequate training stress. You can do it but it's going to take some dialing in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Setting it on the ground between reps makes it a much more dynamic movement. You're moving a lot more weight with a lot more muscle recruitment. A standard barbell row focuses attention on the upper back and lats concentrically and the lower back isometrically.
ahh...TY.
If you want to focus on strength and still surf 3x times per week you need to manage fatigue while still getting adequate training stress. You can do it but it's going to take some dialing in.
I can tell already haha.
HBBS: 3 s x 5 r: 225. These were a grind (RPE 85), but squatting is a psychological game. TBH I don't think I'm going to be able to do this more than 4-6 weeks before needing a volume/light/heavy scheme or something.
press: 3x5 at 75 lbs. These went up pretty easy (RPE 70)
DL: 275 x 5. These went pretty easy also. RPE 75.
belt on all exercises. Yep: I'm definitely weaker.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I've decided to alternate between high bar squatting and front squatting to extend this linear progression. Psychologically, I think this will be easier and build more of a snowball of progress.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
ahh...TY.

I can tell already haha.
HBBS: 3 s x 5 r: 225. These were a grind (RPE 85), but squatting is a psychological game. TBH I don't think I'm going to be able to do this more than 4-6 weeks before needing a volume/light/heavy scheme or something.
press: 3x5 at 75 lbs. These went up pretty easy (RPE 70)
DL: 275 x 5. These went pretty easy also. RPE 75.
belt on all exercises. Yep: I'm definitely weaker.
In my opinion...if your focus is building strength it's going to have to be front and center and other things are going to need to take a back seat. This is why I use Feb-April as my strength focused time...the weather sucks. I still hit short strength focused blocks throughout the year but for the most part it's maintenance. Maybe one heavy set of the main lifts with more unilateral and rotational work to stay busy, keep things light and fresh and work through the kinks you get from heavy training and being a +50 age active adult. I think where most people go wrong is they get fooled into believing there's sport specific training you can do in the gym. Weird balancing twisting exercises, balance boards, golfers pulling on cable to look like a golf swing etc etc. Strength is specific to strength. Sport is specific to sport. Any posture disadvantage to make something more difficult only disadvantages the application of training stress. If you want to get strong you need to lift heavy weights in the most efficient way possible. If you think you have a balance issue you need to practice balancing and probably see an ENT.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
In my opinion...if your focus is building strength it's going to have to be front and center and other things are going to need to take a back seat. This is why I use Feb-April as my strength focused time...the weather sucks. I still hit short strength focused blocks throughout the year but for the most part it's maintenance.
My goal is just to do a strenf block and see where I get. I'm not a spring chicken, am not competing in powerlifting, and really just want to synthesize some of your ideas and some other research I've done while training for strenf since I'm bored with hypertrophy training. Obviously, you're a strenf coach so strenf is one of your main sources of credibility. I'm interested in staying mobile and active as I get older.
Maybe one heavy set of the main lifts with more unilateral and rotational work to stay busy, keep things light and fresh and work through the kinks you get from heavy training and being a +50 age active adult.
Do you have some examples? Rotational work????????????? I thought you didn't believe in it.

I think where most people go wrong is they get fooled into believing there's sport specific training you can do in the gym. Weird balancing twisting exercises, balance boards, golfers pulling on cable to look like a golf swing etc etc.
Yes. Useless exercises. That's why I like these strenf templates from the guys at BB Medicine, Rip et al: it's simple and effective.
Strength is specific to strength. Sport is specific to sport.
But strenf is the most general adaptation for sport, wouldn't you agree?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
My goal is just to do a strenf block and see where I get. I'm not a spring chicken, am not competing in powerlifting, and really just want to synthesize some of your ideas and some other research I've done while training for strenf since I'm bored with hypertrophy training. Obviously, you're a strenf coach so strenf is one of your main sources of credibility. I'm interested in staying mobile and active as I get older.

Do you have some examples? Rotational work????????????? I thought you didn't believe in it.

Yes. Useless exercises. That's why I like these strenf templates from the guys at BB Medicine, Rip et al: it's simple and effective.

But strenf is the most general adaptation for sport, wouldn't you agree?
I disagree with unilateral work being the foundation of a strength program. 99% of people are wasting their time with it because 99% of people are too weak and should be focused on increasing strength. I use it as maintenance or recovery or when I'm time constrained and have short periods to train.

Rotational work has a place albeit a very small useful one. Most people feel it works as some sort of safety training, that by training by twisting makes you impervious to injury while twisting. We know this isn't true because the bodies defense against a twisting or leverage injury is sub-conscience muscle contraction. The faster and harder your muscles can contract they better protected you are. The most efficient way to strength train is well known and should just be accepted. I use rotational training to access positions that would not be accessed during strength training. Most of it for me has to do with making a full rotational turn for a golf swing or surfing. After a heavy training block it's hard to push into some of these positions with force after not being there for a bit. I'm not training to do it better....but just for the access to these positions with less resistance.

The best BBM template is The Bridge 3.0. It's a simple program that you can use from novice to advanced. It has two cycles in it that begin easy and progress, then a minor reset at 6 weeks. Lots of strength gains as well as a bit of hypertrophy to help with capacity. If you surf a couple times a week you can forgo the GPP.

If you want something simple just do this:

Day 1
Low Bar Belt Squat
1@RPE 8
Reduce weight to 70% of estimated 1RM
3 to 5 sets AMRAP to RPE5-6 (I would start at 3 sets and as long as your single at RPE 8 is going up stay there. if you feel like it's getting stuck or the effort is getting to RPE9 start adding sets. If you have to go past 5 sets you need to go to perhaps RPE6-7 and reduce back to 3 sets. This is the search for appropriate training stress to drive strength adaptation while also keeping fatigue in check)

Overhead press w/ belt
1@RPE 8
3 to 5 sets AMRAP to RPE5

Pause Deadlift no belt
5@RPE7 5@RPE8 5@RPE9 5@-5% RPE9

Day 2
2 sec Pause Squat no belt
5@RPE7 5@RPE8 5@RPE9 5@-5% RPE9

Competition Bench w/Belt
1@RPE 8
3 to 5 sets AMRAP to RPE5

Overhead Press
10@RPE7 10@RPE8x3

Day 3
Deadlift w/belt
1@RPE 8
5@RPE 7 5@RPE8x2

High Bar Squat no belt
10@RPE7 10@RPE8 10@RPE9x2

Bench
10@RPE7 10@RPE8x3

On off days I will mix in pull ups, curls, dips, pendlay etc. Usually three sets of 10-12 reps at RPE8. She weeks I do nothing. The focus is general strength. Day 1 will leave you beat up. Make sure you eat and sleep. Rest day required between Day 1 and Day 2. Otherwise the choice is yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: sizzld1 and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Where can I read more about RPE and RPE vs intensity? Here's a comment you left:
I'm not totally sure what you're trying to say.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Where can I read more about RPE and RPE vs intensity? Here's a comment you left:
I'm not totally sure what you're trying to say.
Strength results from an adaptation to training stress. Training stress is applied using external resistance.

Training stress is a result of moving this external resistance via a mix of volume and intensity.

The key is to unlock how much training stress YOU need to get a strength adaptation. If you're sensitive to training stress you'll get a positive strength adaptation at some combination of lower volumes and intensity than someone who is more resistant to training stress....who would need more volume and intensity. My personal preference is start with lower intensity and a baseline of volume and see what type of adaptation we can drive. This helps keep the trainee from getting too beat up. As long as we are seeing positive changes no adjustment is necessary. If there's a period of a couple weeks with little to no change I will tinker with it a bit and I generally will start with intensity via adding weight to the bar and see what the response looks like and measure that with how the trainee feels.

RPE is just a way to measure intensity. RPE 8 is completing of the prescribed repetitions of the set feeling like you could have accomplished two more repetitions. It's easier to learn by doing sets of 4-6 repetitions than via singles. RPE 8 is a fairly intense single.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
PP: Practical Programming for Strenf Training, Rippetoe et al.

HBBS: high bar back squat
LBBS: low bar back squat (watch Alan Thrall videos).
DL: deadlift
DE: dynamic effort. Forget about this.
BBM: Barbell Medicine. Jordan Feigenbaum, Austin Baraki, et al. Associates of Mark Rippetoe.

Strenf: you have to become an acolyte of St. Floyd of Fentanyl to understand this word, sorry.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and john4surf