paddling fatigue

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I probably mentioned it already but t-spine mobility is going to affect how hard you work to paddle.

The best paddlers are efficient.

The is a Chinese rower chick who is 35 and she smokes the 23 year olds.

Her trainer said it was because of the efficiency of her movement.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I’ll agree that lifting your arms out of the water hundreds of times does take quite a bit of energy given that the muscle group doing the lifting is relatively small.

But I’d also argue that pulling your entire body through water requires more power.

I’d have to read up on it. I hope there are some papers on biomechanics of paddling or at least swimming. I’ll report back when I find something worth reading.
With the pull you have momentum. Lifting the arms there’s only resistance (gravity.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Anytime I have seen high level competitive swimmers in a weight room with a coach/trainer, (college level athletes primarily) they have been mostly doing very light cable pull-downs and pull-overs. Pretty much always light cable movements. Never saw them going heavy or doing full body weight PUs. If you have the genetics for it, doing full body weight overhand wide grip pull ups (in a strict, slow fashion) on a regular basis is going to increase muscle mass in your lats. Biceps as well. Big muscles gas faster. This is why you don't see beefy endurance athletes of any note. Everything is a compromise and what works for one person won't work for the next. IMO. Body type and genetics matter. To make matters worse you have sprint paddling vs endurance paddling. I've really never found anything that I've done in the weight room to be of significant help re using it as a substitute for paddling/conditioning. As a supplement it can help, but not as an alternative. For that, get in the pool. That transfers. Pull ups have done nothing for me re paddling. I used to do a 100 wide grip, strict overhand pull ups for a back workout. Not in one set, just keep count, do as many as possible and then rest and continue the count. If anything my paddling endurance declined doing the above. Good way to build mass in your upper back though.
Body building is terrible for paddling.

We used to do 50 pull ups for our warm up and then do our back workout.

Trying to surf the next day was always terrible.

Surfing and then trying to do a body builder work out was always terrible too.

I think doing 5 pull ups every time you walk by the PU bar could help paddling due to the neural priming.

That is different that going into the gym to smoke that body part.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Body building is terrible for paddling.

We used to do 50 pull ups for our warm up and then do our back workout.

Trying to surf the next day was always terrible.

Surfing and then trying to do a body builder work out was always terrible too.

I think doing 5 pull ups every time you walk by the PU bar could help paddling due to the neural priming.

That is different that going into the gym to smoke that body part.
Neural priming and muscle fiber recruitment....these are probably the main point of this exercise in the context of surfing.

Also, on the topic of pull-ups building tons of muscle, I don’t know about that. The wiry dudes who do all kinds of calisthenics and bodyweight stuff aren’t all bulked out.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
As a supplement it can help, but not as an alternative.
Yes indeed. If you're a sh!t paddler pull ups ain't going to do anything besides make you stronger. If you paddle decently with good technique as most proficient surfers do, it's only going to add to that power output. The idea isn't to burn yourself out with pull ups, do a few sets explosively with good form and there will only be benefits.

;)

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Genetics.

My back got huge just from pull ups.

My calves wouldn't grow no matter how much trashed them in the gym

Yup. Plus it depends on how you are doing the PUs. A lot of people that are into the number of reps are swinging, using momentum and a narrow grip to boost their number. Two seconds up, four seconds down. WIDE grip. Overhand. Or even pre exhaust the lats with heavy bent rows before you move to your PUs. Pull ups and heavy bent rows have always been the body building upper back mass builders of choice. On top of that, body building for increased mass is probably about 80% diet. And yes I pulled that number out of my impeccably buffed ass. It's high though. You ain't getting anywhere without the diet happening.

And calfs that won't respond are not a cliche without reason. That's why body builders get silicone calf implants. i sh!t you not.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
the fatigue from paddling is in the shoulders. When you have an extremely long session and your sore the next day where are you sore? Not the lats.
I don't know...I can feel sore all over after a few days of long surfs, but sometimes it is my triceps and forearms that ache the most, especially around my elbows. Though I mainly think the bilateral radial head fractures from a bicycle wreck is the primary driver of that elbow/muscle ache.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Yes indeed. If you're a sh!t paddler pull ups ain't going to do anything besides make you stronger. If you paddle decently with good technique as most proficient surfers do, it's only going to add to that power output. The idea isn't to burn yourself out with pull ups, do a few sets explosively with good form and there will only be benefits.

;)
Narrow grip, use swing/momentum up, and drop fast. Just moving the grip out further would probably cut their numbers in half. Or more. Not to mention slowing the speed down and using strict form.

It's kind of amazing how little weight you can use to utterly ruin yourself if you use strict motion and slow down. Especially on the negative portion of the lift.

I think cross fit pull-ups are the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I probably mentioned it already but t-spine mobility is going to affect how hard you work to paddle.

The best paddlers are efficient.

The is a Chinese rower chick who is 35 and she smokes the 23 year olds.

Her trainer said it was because of the efficiency of her movement.
Something I heard long ago about being fit (and getting fit and stay fit) that resonated with me when I was younger was that the first thing one should strive for is 'form'.

Which is your "efficiency of her movement" thing.

I suppose this balance of things will be different for all, but the older I get, the more 'form' comes to the fore. Plus, it seems to have cut down my my injuries, and the more I can avoid accumulated stress, the better life feels.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
My heresy for the day. If I had do confine myself to one upper body exercise it would be Hindu pushups. They do help my paddling but that may be because when I do them, my shoulder stops hurting. YMMV.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Do they do the same for their steroid-shrunken testicles?
No. Because those aren't judged. Plus in a speedo, you can stuff whatever in there.

Don't ask me how I know this.

:D

In the 80s I was working out in this gym that had a lot of competitive body builders in it. They're weird. You could find syringes in the bathroom wastebaskets. There was one time this guy had a meet coming up and he was doing heavy squats. Before every lift his gay body building lover would start screaming at him about how he was a weak little worm. Squat boy would get more and more agitated until they were both screaming at each other and then he would grab a handful of chest hair, rip it out and then start squatting. This was instead of shaving/waxing before the meet. Hair all over floor. The 80s. Good times.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
No. Because those aren't judged. Plus in a speedo, you can stuff whatever in there.

Don't ask me how I know this.

:D

In the 80s I was working out in this gym that had a lot of competitive body builders in it. They're weird. You could find syringes in the bathroom wastebaskets. There was one time this guy had a meet coming up and he was doing heavy squats. Before every lift his gay body building lover would start screaming at him about how he was a weak little worm. Squat boy would get more and more agitated until they were both screaming at each other and then he would grab a handful of chest hair, rip it out and then start squatting. This was instead of shaving/waxing before the meet. Hair all over floor. The 80s. Good times.
That sounds like a very odd scene.

Where was Lyle Alzado when you needed him to eat their brains?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
That sounds like a very odd scene.

Where was Lyle Alzado when you needed him to eat their brains?
Right. I'm betting this was probably right around the time of his misbegotten comeback. RIP