paddling fatigue

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Yep, and the one that runs along the spine sometimes cramps (erector spinae).

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
the fatigue from paddling is in the shoulders. When you have an extremely long session and your sore the next day where are you sore? Not the lats.
I feel it most in the rhomboids and lower traps, those tiny shoulder muscles fatigue quicker because they are not supposed to take the brunt of the load (they're stabilizers). Theres is little to no resistance in the "recovery", hence the name. If you're burning out from that it's poor technique.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I feel it most in the rhomboids and lower traps, those tiny shoulder muscles fatigue quicker because they are not supposed to take the brunt of the load (they're stabilizers). Theres is little to no resistance in the "recovery", hence the name. If you're burning out from that it's poor technique.
Poor technique is getting me through some very long sessions. Or maybe I just have really “strong” traps and rhomboids.....

:)

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
the fatigue from paddling is in the shoulders. When you have an extremely long session and your sore the next day where are you sore? Not the lats.
How are the upper shoulder muscles like the delts doing the pulling that’s involved in padding? Doesn’t make sense biomechanically.

Just because those muscles are sore, that doesn’t mean they’re the ones doing the heaviest pulling.

As for lats, I don’t know. They’re a bit of a bigger muscle group and maybe they’re acclimated to the activity?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
This.

Also, triceps.

But pulling with the back muscles is probably more efficient.

huryanpost

Michael Peterson status
Dec 9, 2010
How are the upper shoulder muscles like the delts doing the pulling that’s involved in padding? Doesn’t make sense biomechanically.

Just because those muscles are sore, that doesn’t mean they’re the ones doing the heaviest pulling.

As for lats, I don’t know. They’re a bit of a bigger muscle group and maybe they’re acclimated to the activity?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Fuckk dude, read.

Fatigue from paddling does’t come from the pull. The act of lifting your arm out of the water and extending it forward uses the most energy.

You guys are all focused on the pull. The pull is the part of the stroke that takes the least amount of power. Hence the superfluousness of pullups.

Those back fly lift things and shoulder presses might help. But the best thing you can do is paddle.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I just tried and couldn't do 4 pull ups.
I'm almost 50 and until this year, haven't surfed much the last 5 years.
I kayaked 4-8 miles 3-5 days/week all summer when it was flattest and I am a stronger paddler right now than I have been since I was about 29.
I'm just saying, the kookiness of it aside it has really worked for me. I would be a much bigger kook in the gym IMO. Oh and I have lost over 45lbs since April I'm sure that helps.
I have gleaned a lot of knowledge here regarding getting in shape, last Spring someone was extolling the benefits of Steel Cut Oats and that has been my secret key to changing my diet. Greek yogurt too. I surf a lot now.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
when i am in surf shape (i am not now) i can surf a long time. 4 hour session is easy, done 5-6 hours in a single session has been done on a few occasions, and i've done the 8 hour+ triple session day thing.

biggest difference i noticed with pull ups was my shoulders felt better after surfing a lot. before doing pull ups i would invariably get some type of repetitive muscle tightness in my left shoulder. not a big deal but annoying. after adding the pull ups never felt that again.

has nothing to so with stretching. i am very flexible. at 45 i can stand up and place the backs of hands on the ground directly under my feet.

so yeah if you do pull ups you're cool and if you don't think pull ups help your surfing you can fook off.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I just tried and couldn't do 4 pull ups.
I'm almost 50 and until this year, haven't surfed much the last 5 years.
I kayaked 4-8 miles 3-5 days/week all summer when it was flattest and I am a stronger paddler right now than I have been since I was about 29.
I'm just saying, the kookiness of it aside it has really worked for me. I would be a much bigger kook in the gym IMO. Oh and I have lost over 45lbs since April I'm sure that helps.
I have gleaned a lot of knowledge here regarding getting in shape, last Spring someone was extolling the benefits of Steel Cut Oats and that has been my secret key to changing my diet. Greek yogurt too. I surf a lot now.
Good to see you posting :shaka::drowning: Hope the fishing is groovy:coffee:

teamscam.gif

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Fatigue from paddling does’t come from the pull. The act of lifting your arm out of the water and extending it forward uses the most energy.

You guys are all focused on the pull. The pull is the part of the stroke that takes the least amount of power. Hence the superfluousness of pullups.
Believe what you will, still doesn't make it correct.

Reactions: hal9000

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
When you are done surfing. I actually put a ball on both sides. Find the stiff or sore spot. No rolling. Just find the spot and lay on it. lacrosse-ball-traps-rhomboids.jpg

Reactions: surfysurfy1476

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Fuckk dude, read.

Those back fly lift things and shoulder presses might help. But the best thing you can do is paddle.
I’ll agree that lifting your arms out of the water hundreds of times does take quite a bit of energy given that the muscle group doing the lifting is relatively small.

But I’d also argue that pulling your entire body through water requires more power.

I’d have to read up on it. I hope there are some papers on biomechanics of paddling or at least swimming. I’ll report back when I find something worth reading.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Anytime I have seen high level competitive swimmers in a weight room with a coach/trainer, (college level athletes primarily) they have been mostly doing very light cable pull-downs and pull-overs. Pretty much always light cable movements. Never saw them going heavy or doing full body weight PUs. If you have the genetics for it, doing full body weight overhand wide grip pull ups (in a strict, slow fashion) on a regular basis is going to increase muscle mass in your lats. Biceps as well. Big muscles gas faster. This is why you don't see beefy endurance athletes of any note. Everything is a compromise and what works for one person won't work for the next. IMO. Body type and genetics matter. To make matters worse you have sprint paddling vs endurance paddling. I've really never found anything that I've done in the weight room to be of significant help re using it as a substitute for paddling/conditioning. As a supplement it can help, but not as an alternative. For that, get in the pool. That transfers. Pull ups have done nothing for me re paddling. I used to do a 100 wide grip, strict overhand pull ups for a back workout. Not in one set, just keep count, do as many as possible and then rest and continue the count. If anything my paddling endurance declined doing the above. Good way to build mass in your upper back though.