paddling fatigue

Sep 27, 2019
What's a good workout to help a beginner with surfing? I just started out surfing and I can't get it off my mind. My last surf session was only 1 hour and I got pretty tired just from paddling. So, I decided to hit the gym to bulk up a little. What exercises I should be doing to help me in the water next time? P.S. aside from hitting the gym, I'm also planning to do some laps at a local pool every once a week. So any advice on beneficial exercise program to stay in shape and improve my endurance?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Skip the “bulking up”. That won’t help you at all.

Swimming once a week is a waste of time.

Swim at least 3 days a week hard intervals.

Go surf.

Don’t snake, don’t drop in.

Respect your elders.

Know your place.

If you get barked at by a “local” there’s 99% probability that you did something wrong.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Skip the “bulking up”. That won’t help you at all.

Swimming once a week is a waste of time.

Swim at least 3 days a week hard intervals.

Go surf.

Don’t snake, don’t drop in.

Respect your elders.

Know your place.

If you get barked at by a “local” there’s 99% probability that you did something wrong.
Pretty much this & get a proper traditional paddleboard & paddle when it’s flat.
There’s no substitute for time on the water.

Reactions: anothergrom

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Squats and deadlifts! Duh!

Also practice holding your breath.

The biggest thing I noticed back when I was surfing 4+ days a week is that creatine helped my muscles recover faster, and I could paddle longer. Read up on creatine use, and be sure to stay hydrated all the time - it does make a difference. That was 15 years ago when I was 31, single, and lived at the beach.

Funny how people talk about bulking up like its a bad thing. Yeah, if you turn into a meathead it will affect all sorts of variables, but trying to add 10-15 lbs of muscle is not a bad goal, and will only help the average surfer's performance.

The same argument is made by women who refuse to lift weights because they're fearful of becoming "too bulky" which is ridiculous. Muscle is money in the bank, and it takes a lot of work to significantly bulk up.

Reactions: Ricknj and Chocki

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Squats and deadlifts! Duh!

Also practice holding your breath.

The biggest thing I noticed back when I was surfing 4+ days a week is that creatine helped my muscles recover faster, and I could paddle longer. Read up on creatine use, and be sure to stay hydrated all the time - it does make a difference. That was 15 years ago when I was 31, single, and lived at the beach.

Funny how people talk about bulking up like its a bad thing. Yeah, if you turn into a meathead it will affect all sorts of variables, but trying to add 10-15 lbs of muscle is not a bad goal, and will only help the average surfer's performance.

The same argument is made by women who refuse to lift weights because they're fearful of becoming "too bulky" which is ridiculous. Muscle is money in the bank, and it takes a lot of work to significantly bulk up.
I surf a lot better at 185 than at 205. I’ve done both.

I surf best at 175 but I can’t maintain that weight.

Reactions: Topazslider

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
What's a good workout to help a beginner with surfing? I just started out surfing and I can't get it off my mind. My last surf session was only 1 hour and I got pretty tired just from paddling. So, I decided to hit the gym to bulk up a little. What exercises I should be doing to help me in the water next time? P.S. aside from hitting the gym, I'm also planning to do some laps at a local pool every once a week. So any advice on beneficial exercise program to stay in shape and improve my endurance?
“if all you did was Clean and Press, you could be awesome”, Dan John

Single dumbbell, off the floor each time.

Reps = 2,3,5,10 for 3-5 sets

Last edited: