paddling fatigue

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Yup. Plus it depends on how you are doing the PUs. A lot of people that are into the number of reps are swinging, using momentum and a narrow grip to boost their number. Two seconds up, four seconds down. WIDE grip. Overhand. Or even pre exhaust the lats with heavy bent rows before you move to your PUs. Pull ups and heavy bent rows have always been the body building upper back mass builders of choice. On top of that, body building for increased mass is probably about 80% diet. And yes I pulled that number out of my impeccably buffed ass. It's high though. You ain't getting anywhere without the diet happening.

And calfs that won't respond are not a cliche without reason. That's why body builders get silicone calf implants. i sh!t you not.
I've had some shoulder issues and the PT guys always tell me that wide pull ups are horrible for the rotator cuff. And that when I do pull ups, to do them overhand and shoulder width.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I've had some shoulder issues and the PT guys always tell me that wide pull ups are horrible for the rotator cuff. And that when I do pull ups, to do them overhand and shoulder width.
I can see that. Wide grip does more to take the biceps out of it. It's kind of awkward and difficult. Sometimes it's fairly amazing how very small changes in grip can make a difference with a gimp shoulder. Whatever doesn't hurt. You have to go with what your body tells you it will put up with. I've done a lot of the wide grip and my rotator cuffs are fine. My AC joints are screwed. I blame that on heavy flat benches.

Reactions: rice

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
To get the calves to grow you gotta do 50+ reps per set.

Don't they say elbows should be tucked for pushups?

Also, can someone tell me if this is the proper form for Hindu pushups?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
That works. That guy needs to eat a sandwich but whatever. Hands further apart, more chest less tricep. The nice thing is if it hurts, you can a lot of times move your hands slightly, change the placement and work around it. And if you want more shoulders, go to position 2 and then right back up to position 1. Which is more of a dive bomber PU. You do a hundred of those things a day as you go about your business, and things can fall into shape pretty nicely. IMO. YMMV Going from 4 back to one you can even get your abs involved.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I paddle yearround to stay ready for when we get surf(nj) plus it is a good workout especially in a 5mil and gloves.

Reactions: hal9000

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Anatomically the opposite is true and if you are having shoulder issues allowing bicep participation in the movement would reduce stress on the shoulder from the bottom to almost completely at the top.

Oct 3, 2011
Just got a set this week. Some resistance bands and a jump rope too for travel workouts. Thinking about getting a sandbag kettlebell also. Getting old sucks, used to just surf and hold a good amount of muscle naturally. 31 in a few weeks, can’t imagine what the future is going to be like :bricks:
OK... Old grouchy guy here. Turned 51. Still surf 3-4x / week. But increasing volume in my boards. All those recommendations for 29-32 liter boards no longer hold when you are my age. However.... Telling your 50 sumpin year old friends that you're still surfing all the time opens up some :rolleyes:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Creatine is the most well studied and documented supplemented in existence.
....and also the single best way to turn ADP (which simply is spent ATP) back to ATP (which you need to sustain physical effort at a steady or increasing intensity) instantly and immediately when muscles are performing high intensity work. As we get older our cytosolic energy system, which gives us the ability for short term intense activity becomes less efficient. Creatine supplementation will short circuit the system dramatically.

All the aerobic training in the world, including swimming laps isn't going to help short term intense efforts, like catching waves.

Reactions: grapedrink

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
It's pretty hard to target your paddle muscles in a way that actually makes a difference in the lineup. But I actually found out, this summer, that climbing is an amazing cross-training option and noticeably increased my paddle power and did an okay job with endurance. That probably would have improved if I did it for a longer period of time.