paddling fatigue

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Rice:
I don't know. Good luck.

I am going to counter Rice's hope with actual advice that you are free to use or disregard

1 Buy wife dinner

2 Pair meal with decent wine

3 Say to her on the way home "This guy I sort of of know on the internet recommended a movie about 'ferocious masturbation'. Don't ask me why, I only sort of know him, but anyway, we could watch that, or some arty 1800's art horror movie that is shot in black and white and well, horror is a bit of a stretch, it is more a mood piece. Does have some good reviews though. Understand they have a comical seagull actor, well, a trained animal really, not a person dressed as an actor. Been a while since I've see either type of movie and before you ask, it was a long time ago, it was a French movie called Blue, and it wasn't really about masturbation, and it mainly about women doing it, not men, no sir, not men, though there were men in it, French men, not that care about such things, but it makes sense they were French because it was a French movie. But I'm rambling, sorry, its been a long week at work, same for you and that is why I took you out, you deserved a break too, and thought we could use a bit of a distraction and maybe either movie would be a change of routine for us. Hey, they kids aren't planning on coming over tonight, are they? Did I mention how delicious you look right now?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GWS_2

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Just got back from a week in Kauai and can definitely feel the difference in strength and stamina in my shoulders. The first day there I felt weak and tired easily but, by day five I was paddling to outer reefs and feeling great. Carrying luggage and board bags, and doing work around the house/garage is definitely easier. Paddling consistently absolutely helps. View attachment 82274

Plus the Kuai sharks are another motivating factor to paddle stronger.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
:LOL:

I went with my wife and she was not into it. Our son said, as the credits appeared, I have no comment on that.

• Haha
Reactions: GWS_2

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

I went with my wife and she was not into it. Our son said, as the credits appeared, I have no comment on that.
Wait a minute here. You took your wife and son to a flick about chocking the chicken?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Pulling your body through space? Both are a vertical pulling motion. Being strong will only enhance your power output. I’ll keep doing pull ups in addition to surfing and you can keep paddling “more”, hope it works out for you
Next time you’re in the water paddle your board as if you are doing pullups. See how that works out.

Paddling is more in the shoulders than anything you’d get from pullups.

Saying pullups are similar to paddling is like saying leg extensions are similar to leg curls.

I mean they both work the same limb, right?

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Efficient paddling uses the back muscles a lot as well. The lats. I remember seeing a video of Fanning saying something to that degree.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Next time you’re in the water paddle your board as if you are doing pullups. See how that works out.

Saying pullups are similar to paddling is like saying leg extensions are similar to leg curls.

I mean they both work the same limb, right?

Which shoulder muscles? There are many.

All of these are involved in paddling: triceps, biceps, delts, traps, rectus abdominis, latissimus dorsi, obliques.

Delts don't seem like they'd be used much for paddling, maybe for lifting our arm back out of the water?

Reactions: fishtank

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
not at all, good way to burn your tiny little shoulder muscles out. you should be pulling from the back, the rhomboids/lats contribute the most force in the paddling motion. leg extensions and curls are opposing movements, they don't even work the same muscle.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012

An older couple (70s) who came into my bar (when I bartended) used to invite me to lunch on Sundays, sometimes the theater after. One Sunday after lunch with them and their other couple friends decided to go to a movie and asked would I like to go. Sure. They chose Brokeback Mountain just based on looking at what was playing soonest and it seemed like a neat movie about the outdoors/wilderness. I sat between the two couples. It was pretty funny walking out of the theater when it was over.

Reactions: jamesgang

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I notice that in order for me to do a lot of pull ups, my body has to sync up and function as a unit.

I suspect it's neural syncing.

The issue is if the carries over to paddling.

I say yay.

Reactions: hal9000

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
An older couple (70s) who came into my bar (when I bartended) used to invite me to lunch on Sundays, sometimes the theater after. One Sunday after lunch with them and their other couple friends decided to go to a movie and asked would I like to go. Sure. They chose Brokeback Mountain just based on looking at what was playing soonest and it seemed like a neat movie about the outdoors/wilderness. I sat between the two couples. It was pretty funny walking out of the theater when it was over.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
not at all, good way to burn your tiny little shoulder muscles out. you should be pulling from the back, the rhomboids/lats contribute the most force in the paddling motion. leg extensions and curls are opposing movements, they don't even work the same muscle.
im not referring to the pull.

the point at which one comes to failure from fatigue is not from pull. When your body fails and can no longer paddle it’s because you can’t perform the recovery (lifting your arm out of the water and extending it forward). That is primarily a function of muscles in the shoulder.

you guys are too focused on the movement that actually propels you, when most of your energy is expended on everything that is not the part of the stroke that does that.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
the fatigue from paddling is in the shoulders. When you have an extremely long session and your sore the next day where are you sore? Not the lats.
My back is gets sore from arching it up for so long. It's the longest superman hold (without the legs) of any activity I can think of.