*** Official Fin Thread ***

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So def a difference in the two.

The Fanning fin has less area through the rakiest section of the fin into the tip.

You can definitely feel the difference.

Fanning fin is so drivey, smooth and so natural feeling - IMO the best feeling fin on the market.

I've ridden both the large and med DHD Futures as well as Large DHD Futures with med DHD Futures as a trailer. Def a great template and drivey but different.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Are the DHD and Fanning fins in FCSII this close to one another?
They are similar at first glance but pretty different once you see the difference - area in the top half of the fin.

It’s a larger template fin, with a wider base. The idea with this, is to maximise the drive off the bottom. I also wanted to have a modest raked tip, to make sure the release off the top was not compromised.

The fin was designed to be an all around fin that works in most conditions. We’ve been testing it up here in everything from 2ft slop, to well over head. The DX1, 3DV, WILKO F13, and Sweet Spot 2.0 are ideal, but any all around board is perfect!

Reactions: jkb

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
BTW, I rode the large DHDs with the med DHD trailer in my X21 in just overhead surf and it was undoubtedly the fastest I've ever gone on a surfboard. Took of way deep on what looked like a highline wall that was going to be impossible to make and the thing just flew...made it through...I was going so fast along the next wall, then realized I was going to have to pull out the top. fear. "oh fvck I'm going to fast to do it in a controlled way because I will be launching" quick flashes of lower limb injuries:sick: 6 ft out the top into a S wind board stuck to my feet luckily no one on the landing zone luckily managed to push the board a little ways away. No thanks.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
does anyone offer a set of Bonzer runners with a Futures base? I have a 7'10" Thick Lizzy 2 + 1 and kicking myself for not getting the runners glassed in. Thanks.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Ordered some JJF large techflex for black monday, Have got the EA techflex, Freestone generation, and DHD on hand. Think that's enough for now and all the bases are covered.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Thanks for the info jkb. I'll give them a call.

kinda weird that FCS makes bonzer sides and Futures doesn't.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Thanks for the info jkb. I'll give them a call.

kinda weird that FCS makes bonzer sides and Futures doesn't.
No worries. I'm 99% sure they're Fins Unlimited, but can't check at the moment since the board is packed away in a box right now. If FU doesn't make them, I'll know for sure in about a week when the board gets unpacked.

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
Need a recommendation for a thruster set up with Future fins. I haven't been on a proper thruster in some time.
This one is for mostly barreling beach breaks with some point surf thrown in once in awhile.
Im 170 pounds and the board is a Superbrand Toy X.

I have a set of F6 Alphas but for some reason I cant get them to fit in the boxes. I know I can sand them down but I use them in a board that they fit in.

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
Does anyone have a ride report on the machado 2+1 setup? How do they compare to AMT? They look closer to thruster
Ride that set in my Moonbeam. Solid. Fast out of the gate and has a stiff yet springy feel through turns. Feels very thruster yet faster.

AMTs are a lot more upright and feel a lot looser.

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
I was digging through some boxes and pulled out some fins that piled up over the more recent years. I used to pickup a new set to try when I would get a new board. That Solus set has been my favorite over the years. They have felt good in every board I've stuck them in. Too bad it looks like they changed the rear fin in the newer version. Any of you guys running that newer Solus set?

Also digging the 2+1 red base Machado's these days.
How's those Pyzel Controllers? Been on the fence about buying them for biggish days but the JJFs haven't let me down

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Need a recommendation for a thruster set up with Future fins. I haven't been on a proper thruster in some time.
This one is for mostly barreling beach breaks with some point surf thrown in once in awhile.
Im 170 pounds and the board is a Superbrand Toy X.

I have a set of F6 Alphas but for some reason I cant get them to fit in the boxes. I know I can sand them down but I use them in a board that they fit in.
sand inside the box

Reactions: nowayout