*** Official Fin Thread ***

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
I wonder why the Jordy fin is only being sold at Cleanlines and does not appear on the Futures website or insty?
It's on the futures site:

I picked up a pair today after comparing it to the AM2. Even though it's just a touch smaller than the AM2, it's still a lot of fin.

I'm 160-165 and always felt the AM1 was too small. After a brief session this afternoon, I think the fin is too big for me. Might try with a smaller, more upright trailing fin tomorrow.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Jordy rode am2’s for years. No huge surprise his template is essentially the am2.
It's really not. It's much more similar to the R8's but with a smaller center. I'll try to get a comparison pic posted up here soon. They are noticeably livelier and feel like they turn a little sharper than AM2's which I've ridden and enjoyed for years.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
New camo ones. Never tried the old ones.
Gotcha; I was going to say, a shop grom talked me out of a set of Merricks I was looking at one day; he took the old Jordy and the Merrick set I was looking at and they were basically spot-on.

Old Jordy were the only fin I tried in Simon RPR; went fine. Used them in Sub Driver for a year, in smaller/lumpier surf I don't like them as much, but they go nuts if there's room and speed and time. Did a good job of sorting out the Baby Buggy once it gets a little better as well.

Reactions: Havoc

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
It's really not. It's much more similar to the R8's but with a smaller center. I'll try to get a comparison pic posted up here soon. They are noticeably livelier and feel like they turn a little sharper than AM2's which I've ridden and enjoyed for years.
I stand corrected. So, less rake than the am2's then?

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Questions about the size of front and back fins, in a quad set up? At what point is a front fin to big, and a rear fin to small, and vice versa? I understand the controller set up for really wide tailed boards, fish, min-simmons etc., but for more HP quads is there a formula, or "Area" number you want according to your weight? Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm kinda mixing and matching thruster fronts, and my favorite set up is with a medium front ( Matt Archbold's), which for my size and weight shouldn't be optimal. So in general when mixing and matching thruster fronts in quad set ups, is the size less of a factor then?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Heres a Jordy side fin over top of am2. Jordy is very similar at the base and along leading edge but it is a little shorter overall and with a finer tip. There is less difference between the rear fins with the jordy just being slightly narrower at the base. Overall they are similar fins but just the slight reduction in area is noticable and is a positive for me. If am2s have always felt like too much fin, these probably will too. If you like am2s but wouldnt mind a slightly livelier ride without giving up that addictive down-the-line drive, these might be worth a look.20191112_095511.jpg

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Heres a Jordy side fin over top of am2. Jordy is very similar at the base and along leading edge but it is a little shorter overall and with a finer tip. There is less difference between the rear fins with the jordy just being slightly narrower at the base. Overall they are similar fins but just the slight reduction in area is noticable and is a positive for me. If am2s have always felt like too much fin, these probably will too. If you like am2s but wouldnt mind a slightly livelier ride without giving up that addictive down-the-line drive, these might be worth a look.View attachment 82587
did u intentionally get them wet for the photo shoot?

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Heres a Jordy side fin over top of am2. Jordy is very similar at the base and along leading edge but it is a little shorter overall and with a finer tip. There is less difference between the rear fins with the jordy just being slightly narrower at the base. Overall they are similar fins but just the slight reduction in area is noticable and is a positive for me. If am2s have always felt like too much fin, these probably will too. If you like am2s but wouldnt mind a slightly livelier ride without giving up that addictive down-the-line drive, these might be worth a look.View attachment 82587
Is it just me or do most of futures's fins all seem to be very similar in shape?

Reactions: Aardwolf

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
small differences in aspect and taper ratio can make big differences in performance, but most modern shortboard fins look the same when eyeballing them, sure

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Is it just me or do most of futures's fins all seem to be very similar in shape?
Most likely they start with a base template and make alterations from there, same idea from fcs. There is only so much you can change without compromising the feel most are after. It looks like the Jordy fins have more area in the front than the AM2 with a little less rake and a finer tip, hard to tell without seeing it from the other side.