*** Official Fin Thread ***

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Just a random stab in the dark here.. but for me (175-180lb) & looking at those boards, I'd stick these sets I have in them...
Pop - tp+1 (hitch hiker trailer if you like more traction)
PS - Controller quad split keels (works well in wide tail low rockered boards)
A2 - Am2 Honeycomb (jordy or tp1 sound good too me also)
FS - Am1 Honeycomb - (i drop a size on my tails like that so they are less stiff)

I'd like to try that tp thruster set, his tp+1 set works well. If you want to try a small fin like that tmf-1, i'd say don't screw with the plastic version and go fiberglass. I have one in fiberglass and even that one is really hard for me to feel.

If you want to play around with twin +trailers, the Stussy hitch hiker trailer is prob my fav trailer to stick with twins that are really loose/wide tail blocks. Especially if conditions are crap and tail is drifting around more than I want.

Reactions: stringcheese

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Controller quads need to go on the list too, good call

thinking the little guitar pick fin with those billy kemper big wave fins could be fun on the pretty sweet in little waves. Slippy and weird but fun maybe.

Last edited:

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Got a fin question regarding the twin variant of the pyzel astro.....walked out the shop with a set of panda fins, the additional depth and smaller tip felt nice (she said). Put the fins in the board and the trailing edge is super close to the rail, like 1/2 inch. Shapers dot is 1 inch. Never seen anything like it, will that be an issue? I'd rather know before using the fins for the first time so i can still return them. I think most keels will look like that though, better to go uprights? Me confused20240503_183108.jpg

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Got a fin question regarding the twin variant of the pyzel astro.....walked out the shop with a set of panda fins, the additional depth and smaller tip felt nice (she said). Put the fins in the board and the trailing edge is super close to the rail, like 1/2 inch. Shapers dot is 1 inch. Never seen anything like it, will that be an issue? I'd rather know before using the fins for the first time so i can still return them. I think most keels will look like that though, better to go uprights? Me confusedView attachment 179490
yeah, that looks a little too close for my comfort. I'd try to get something closer to the dot.

Reactions: trifish and claw87

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
i don't think it's a matter of upright vs raked fins, it's more about the base width. i am theorizing, but the shaper may intend the board be ridden with fins that have a narrower base, ie a twin template instead of a keel and that's why the dots are more foward. the base of the panda keel, combined with the set back nature of FCSII makes for a way back trailing edge. couple options are, ride it and see, or get a similar keel fin with old fcs tabs which will set them more forward, or get narrower based twins. if you like more drive, get narrower based twins with more rake.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Isn’t cant built into FCS2 fins?

Mine was Futures, but iirc the fin box placement on the Panda Rocket Fish (which the Panda keels were made for) is further forward and also less toed in than the Pyzel Astro

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I'd imagine-
Less toe in (Panda fish) - you'll want more base (Panda keel)
More toe in (Pyzel fish) - you'll want less base (more upright keel)

Reactions: claw87

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
i don't think it's a matter of upright vs raked fins, it's more about the base width. i am theorizing, but the shaper may intend the board be ridden with fins that have a narrower base, ie a twin template instead of a keel and that's why the dots are more foward. the base of the panda keel, combined with the set back nature of FCSII makes for a way back trailing edge. couple options are, ride it and see, or get a similar keel fin with old fcs tabs which will set them more forward, or get narrower based twins. if you like more drive, get narrower based twins with more rake.
Thanks, did not think about the fcs I option, that would solve the base length issue indeed. I don't even know what a trailing edge too close to the rail would other than cut my feet. Measured again, dot is 1 1/4, pandas are 1/2, just tried the bmts which are 1 inch. The bmts felt pretty great in the rnf, maybe they are the perfect compromise for the astro too

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Looks weird for sure.

are we certain the boxes were installed correctly placed? I note the board was not made in Oceanside.

Last edited:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Isn’t cant built into FCS2 fins?

Mine was Futures, but iirc the fin box placement on the Panda Rocket Fish (which the Panda keels were made for) is further forward and also less toed in than the Pyzel Astro
My understanding is just the opposite. Cant is built into futures fins ... fcs the cant is in the fin box.

Jan 3, 2024
New board has 5 fin foxes, told the shaper I want to try it as a twinzer.

the rear two boxes are for small base futures, ie: not for twin fins :toilet:.

Best course of action buy the largest quad rears with flat foil I can find and have a go? Luckily found twinzer canards in futures from NVS but I'm in a pickle for the twins

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
New board has 5 fin foxes, told the shaper I want to try it as a twinzer.

the rear two boxes are for small base futures, ie: not for twin fins :toilet:.

Best course of action buy the largest quad rears with flat foil I can find and have a go? Luckily found twinzer canards in futures from NVS but I'm in a pickle for the twins
I don’t know twinzers but if he messed up the boxes, I’d be surprised if they were placed correctly to use the futures canards. Seems like Twinzer bros are pretty specific about “Jobson” placement. If not, I would have him remake it to what you ordered. If they are, I would have him replace the rear boxes. If not him, your best ding repair guy could probably do it.
just my 2 cents.

Reactions: claw87
Jan 3, 2024
I don’t know twinzers but if he messed up the boxes, I’d be surprised if they were placed correctly to use the futures canards. Seems like Twinzer bros are pretty specific about “Jobson” placement. If not, I would have him remake it to what you ordered. If they are, I would have him replace the rear boxes. If not him, your best ding repair guy could probably do it.
just my 2 cents.
yeah...might be a failed concept, lol. there is no overlap between the boxes. He installed them as a standard 5 fin setup :foreheadslap:

You in the market for some twinzer canards by chance?

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Looks weird for sure.

are we certain the boxes were installed correctly placed? I note the board was not made in Oceanside.
I'd think so, looking at Google pics they all look like this. Just not necessarily designed for big keels I guess. My pyzels are all made in Portugal at the polen factory, can't compare to US quality but they all feel pretty epic

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I'd think so, looking at Google pics they all look like this. Just not necessarily designed for big keels I guess. My pyzels are all made in Portugal at the polen factory, can't compare to US quality but they all feel pretty epic
I think you have an excuse for some new fins. Those cf mcallums I just got an email about look hawt.
1714841930597.png