*** Official Fin Thread ***

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Just received the JJF large futures. Matched them up with the Freestones, quite similar rake/sweep, tip. Still the JJF with a bit more area overall. There will be no photos, can’t have you pervs drooling over my slightly feminine and soft hands.

Oct 9, 2019
DHD mediums dims are disappointing. Hopefully, they will release Jordy mediums that are on the bigger end of the medium spectrum

I'm also curious about the dimensions of the Mayhem fins. Template looks similar the JJF
Just got back from the surf shop. I matched the new Mayhem fin template with the JJF-2 template and they were very close! The Mayhems were slightly smaller but it wasn’t by much. The Mayhems are about the same area of the blackened portion of the JJF-2 fin if that makes sense. Maybe an 1/8 in smaller all around. Also noticed it was very similar to the Freestone template as well.

Reactions: Havoc
Oct 9, 2019
so a small medium and a larger large on mayhems. old ones were like a bigger medium. surf industry for u lol. introduce more product that misses the mark
I do like the new Mayhems personally but seems like they need a wave with some push. After seeing the dims, it makes sense because they are bigger than past Lost fins.

Jul 20, 2008
Bouncing off this post about Cheyne's fins. How about his star fin? I have an old Moss Research Space Cake that I never ride and now thinking about how a star fin would do in it. Has anyone ever tried one? I'm also thinking about turning it into a twinzer / 2+1. Everytime I see a Mabile Honey Badger It makes me think about converting my Space Cake. Any thoughts on both these ideas?

Feb 9, 2019
There maybe someone lurking who has ridden a mccoy lazor zap. Those things had a yacht shape, not having seen the board you are talking about.
If those wide rear ends of the mccoys had a lot of vee, the 'lift' the starfin generates would probably compliment that sort of thing.
Those vert fins of cheynes look ok in the pocket/tube, seem to lack projection outside of that in the footage i have seen.

Sep 14, 2019
Hey retodd

Any suggestions for a 7’4 x22x3 Maurice Cole red dingo , 5 future boxes? I’m 5’11, 205-10 , ride mostly softish points in malibu

Liked am2 honeycomb thruster in head-OH point , just tried ROBERT’s large with true Ames Timmy Patterson 80/20 rears as a quad , felt fine but haven’t had it in anything but tiny waves. Open to any suggestions , thanks !

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Try some T1 ( twin with trailer)

In smaller surf it will have quick burst of speed and easy to turn from a forward position

As a quad I think the EA set works best with MC rail placement

Reactions: Mgc5151
Sep 14, 2019
Try some T1 ( twin with trailer)

In smaller surf it will have quick burst of speed and easy to turn from a forward position

As a quad I think the EA set works best with MC rail placement
Thanks , I have an AMT set to try out, never thought of that one for that board

Don’t have an EA set, maybe the Rasta quad will be close enough with the futures 4” flat foil rears?