*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Got the following text from my wife at the hospital:

Lots of COVID rebellion here. Too much conflicting misinformation from the media. Some hospital stuff getting religious exemption from having to get the vaccine
So apparently all you have to do to get out of the mandate is write a letter that states that vaccination violates the tenants of your religion. Religious freedom.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

So apparently all you have to do to get out of the mandate is write a letter that states that vaccination violates the tenants of your religion. Religious freedom.
The whole thing has been a messaging disaster. The vaccines prevent infections from landing you in the ICU or worse. The government and media ran ahead of the science at the behest of some opportunistic medical influencers and said the vaccines work like your sterilizing childhood shots, which was a lie. The fact that Israel is testing the 4th Pfizer booster in the face of a lot of infections proves this. They also need to acknowledge that those who have already recovered from COVID have better protection than the vaccines, so they do not need to be vaccinated. Then there's also the issue of telling everyone to wear a mask whether or not they've been vaccinated, which weakens the case that the vaccines work. There as also been a failure to report age-stratified and comorbidity stratified risk of the virus itself vs. the benefits of the vaccine.

I could go on and on. Lying and misinformation increase hesitancy. Really, the original shots are working fine against Delta and as designed.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I could go on and on. Lying and misinformation increase hesitancy. Really, the original shots are working fine against Delta and as designed.
So why didn't you, and so many others, get biased toward the wrong decision about getting jabbed because of the shitty rhetoric and 30% of the population did?

Doesn't the fact that so many were able to make the right choice undermine the assertion that it was the shitty messaging that caused the reluctance?

These are not gotcha questions.

Reactions: tacos and sussle

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So why didn't you, and so many others, get biased toward the wrong decision about getting jabbed because of the shitty rhetoric and 30% of the population did?

Doesn't the fact that so many were able to make the right choice undermine the assertion that it was the shitty messaging that caused the reluctance?

These are not gotcha questions.
IQ and personality are big factors along with culture, personal beliefs, and previous experiences.

You screw up the messaging and it's very difficult to undo.

This is Public Health 101.

Then add in the factor this was made political by the media and politicians on both sides.

Remember when Gavin threw shade over the vaccines and said he would protect Californians by refusing to allow the vaccines to be distributed in CA without a stamp of approval from his own investigative approval panel? lol.

Reactions: Kaido

CJSB

Nep status
Apr 8, 2009
Santa Barbara
The whole thing has been a messaging disaster. The vaccines prevent infections from landing you in the ICU or worse. The government and media ran ahead of the science at the behest of some opportunistic medical influencers and said the vaccines work like your sterilizing childhood shots, which was a lie. The fact that Israel is testing the 4th Pfizer booster in the face of a lot of infections proves this. They also need to acknowledge that those who have already recovered from COVID have better protection than the vaccines, so they do not need to be vaccinated. Then there's also the issue of telling everyone to wear a mask whether or not they've been vaccinated, which weakens the case that the vaccines work. There as also been a failure to report age-stratified and comorbidity stratified risk of the virus itself vs. the benefits of the vaccine.

working fine, just not working. Agreed.

natural immunity reigns supreme; why is media/cdc not communicating these facts and encouraging healthy lifestyle choices? obesity is the number 1 co-morbidity; why are we not making people get on a scale before entering a fast food restaurant? Why are alcohol and cigarettes still being sold?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
working fine, just not working.
Link?

natural immunity reigns supreme; why is media/cdc not communicating these facts and encouraging healthy lifestyle choices? obesity is the number 1 co-morbidity; why are we not making people get on a scale before entering a fast food restaurant? Why are alcohol and cigarettes still being sold?
In case you didn't get the message you are supposed to be fat and proud.

Suggestions being fat is destructive or unhealthy are offensive.

LOVE YOURSELF!

• Haha
Reactions: stringcheese

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I don't get the social pressure not to bias people toward being lean.

The food industrustry?

They make more money if you over eat?
I have a feeling that genetics has a part in it, I know people who work out hard and eat reasonably and still cannot get lean. The old nature vs nurture.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I don't get the social pressure not to bias people toward being lean.

The food industrustry?

They make more money if you over eat?
Possibly trying to avoid pushing girls too far the other way towards eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia
Possibly just anti-shame
Seems like there should be ways to promote health in a way that leads to healthiness but, I mean, do public service announcements for things like that really work?
i doubt it
And I think there’s a ton of social pressure to not be fat. The pressure to not shame fat people is much less than the pressure to not be fat

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Possibly trying to avoid pushing girls too far the other way towards eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia
Possibly just anti-shame
Seems like there should be ways to promote health in a way that leads to healthiness but, I mean, do public service announcements for things like that really work?
i doubt it
And I think there’s a ton of social pressure to not be fat. The pressure to not shame fat people is much less than the pressure to not be fat
I was chubby in my teens. Not fat by today's standards. But I had to learn what to do to get lean.

It was a skill.

A lot of these people just don't know how to do it.

And when you get fat, it seems too big of task.

Then there is this weird idea that being obese is not unhealthy.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I think it’s way harder to loses weight for some people than others
There’s a huge emotional and psychological tie to eating
Plus the dense calorie foods taste so good
For people who are psychologically healthy, it’s a lot easier
Lots of people aren’t psychologically healthy and for many, not all, but many, it shows up in issues with food

Reactions: Mr Doof

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Lots of fat people in Auschwitz, right?

My aunt's response to the weightloss challenged.

That said, there's hormonal issues that can make it near impossible to lose weight for certain people.

:shrug:

• Love
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I think it’s way harder to loses weight for some people than others
There’s a huge emotional and psychological tie to eating
Plus the dense calorie foods taste so good
For people who are psychologically healthy, it’s a lot easier
Lots of people aren’t psychologically healthy and for many, not all, but many, it shows up in issues with food
i def eat my feelz but a little self control goes along way and ive found low cal snacks ti support my habit.

oreos and potato chips aint a low cal snack.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
i def eat my feelz but a little self control goes along way and ive found low cal snacks ti support my habit.

oreos and potato chips aint a low cal snack.
Sure, it’s simple
But if you’re f*cked in the head a little, and your outlet is twinkies, then first you gotta fix the brain food connection, and people who are f’d in the head a bit don’t always have a quick easy fix for it
At least that’s true for a lot of people

Reactions: CutnSnip

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

sorry, but according to alan dershowitz, religious exemption does not work for a vaccine mandate. nothing in the constitution protecting religion here.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
sorry, but according to alan dershowitz, religious exemption does not work for a vaccine mandate. nothing in the constitution protecting religion here.

There's nothing for you to be sorry about. I'm telling you that it IS working. In the real world, religious freedom claims ARE being accepted. This is happening. Alan's interpretation is obviously, at this point in time, not shared by hospital administration/legal. So for now, in many cases, it IS working. Period.

Isn't Alan like 90 years old now?

What constitutes a "sincerely held" religious exemption to a vaccine mandate? - CBS News

There are tons of news articles on this. A lot of discussion going on. The above is just one of many. So this IS going on, with help from labor lawyers. Who apparently disagree with AD.

That may change, but we will see. I know people that got out of going to Vietnam by claiming a religious exemption.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There's nothing for you to be sorry about. I'm telling you that it IS working. In the real world, religious freedom claims ARE being accepted. This is happening. Alan's interpretation is obviously, at this point in time, not shared by hospital administration/legal. So for now, in many cases, it IS working. Period.

What constitutes a "sincerely held" religious exemption to a vaccine mandate? - CBS News

There are tons of news articles on this. A lot of discussion going on. The above is just one of many. So this IS going on, with help from labor lawyers. Who apparently disagree with AD.

That may change, but we will see. I know people that got out of going to Vietnam by claiming a religious exemption.
I hate religious freedoms. :dancing:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA

From what I've heard at my wife's hospital, the religious freedom claim is not a thing. Get vax'd, have an actual health condition that excludes it, or bye.

Two of the holdouts got vax'd, and one is quitting and moving to Florida. Perfect.