*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
SCIENCE!
Biden's Covid booster plan pits the White House against scientific advisers (statnews.com)
One concern about the rapid rollout is that there’s little data available to support the booster shots’ safety in younger populations — particularly for men under 30, a tiny fraction of whom developed myocarditis, or heart inflammation, after receiving first or second Covid-19 doses.
This depends on whether you believe 1 in 6,000 is a tiny fraction.

What the science actually says:
Current evidence does not, therefore, appear to show a need for boosting in the general population, in which efficacy against severe disease remains high. Even if humoral immunity appears to wane, reductions in neutralising antibody titre do not necessarily predict reductions in vaccine efficacy over time, and reductions in vaccine efficacy against mild disease do not necessarily predict reductions in the (typically higher) efficacy against severe disease. This effect could be because protection against severe disease is mediated not only by antibody responses, which might be relatively short lived for some vaccines, but also by memory responses and cell-mediated immunity, which are generally longer lived. The ability of vaccines that present the antigens of earlier phases of the pandemic (rather than variant-specific antigens) to elicit humoral immune responses against currently circulating variants indicates that these variants have not yet evolved to the point at which they are likely to escape the memory immune responses induced by those vaccines.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
natural immunity reigns supreme
There is some disagreement on this point.

Source.

In today’s MMWR, a study of COVID-19 infections in Kentucky among people who were previously infected with SAR-CoV-2 shows that unvaccinated individuals are more than twice as likely to be reinfected with COVID-19 than those who were fully vaccinated after initially contracting the virus. These data further indicate that COVID-19 vaccines offer better protection than natural immunity alone and that vaccines, even after prior infection, help prevent reinfections.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Source.

In today’s MMWR, a study of COVID-19 infections in Kentucky among people who were previously infected with SAR-CoV-2 shows that unvaccinated individuals are more than twice as likely to be reinfected with COVID-19 than those who were fully vaccinated after initially contracting the virus. These data further indicate that COVID-19 vaccines offer better protection than natural immunity alone and that vaccines, even after prior infection, help prevent reinfections.
When someone writes "natural immunity reigns supreme" on the erbb, you know nothing you can do will change his mind, right?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Source.

So, one junk study overturns basic immunology?
Natural immunity to covid is powerful. Policymakers seem afraid to say so. - The Washington Post
When has your doctor told you to get the annual flu shot after you already had the flu that year?

This is pretty much ideologically and politically driven at this point.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
So, one junk study overturns basic immunology?
Natural immunity to covid is powerful. Policymakers seem afraid to say so. - The Washington Post
When has your doctor told you to get the annual flu shot after you already had the flu that year?

This is pretty much ideologically and politically driven at this point.

1 Unsure what is 'junk' about the study cited in the CDC linked item. I also included the word "some" in the post to show that it is not the final word on the topic. Boy, try to be balanced.....

2 Earlier high infection rates didn't seem to rule out reinfection in this study.
blurb:
By contrast, in Manaus, Brazil, a study of blood donors indicated that 76% (95% CI 67–98) of the population had been infected with SARS-CoV-2 by October, 2020. High attack rates of SARS-CoV-2 were also estimated in population-based samples from other locations in the Amazon Basin—eg, Iquitos, Peru 70% (67–73). The estimated SARS-CoV-2 attack rate in Manaus would be above the theoretical herd immunity threshold (67%), given a basic case reproduction number (R0) of 3.
In this context, the abrupt increase in the number of COVID-19 hospital admissions in Manaus during January, 2021 (3431 in Jan 1–19, 2021, vs 552 in Dec 1–19, 2020) is unexpected and of concern (figure).

3 For medical care, I do my best not to listen to politicians or ideologues.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
1 Unsure what is 'junk' about the study cited in the CDC linked item. I also included the word "some" in the post to show that it is not the final word on the topic. Boy, try to be balanced.....

2 Earlier high infection rates didn't seem to rule out reinfection in this study.
blurb:
By contrast, in Manaus, Brazil, a study of blood donors indicated that 76% (95% CI 67–98) of the population had been infected with SARS-CoV-2 by October, 2020. High attack rates of SARS-CoV-2 were also estimated in population-based samples from other locations in the Amazon Basin—eg, Iquitos, Peru 70% (67–73). The estimated SARS-CoV-2 attack rate in Manaus would be above the theoretical herd immunity threshold (67%), given a basic case reproduction number (R0) of 3.
In this context, the abrupt increase in the number of COVID-19 hospital admissions in Manaus during January, 2021 (3431 in Jan 1–19, 2021, vs 552 in Dec 1–19, 2020) is unexpected and of concern (figure).

3 For medical care, I do my best not to listen to politicians or ideologues.
The vaccines were never tested to prevent infection and transmission. They were tested to prevent disease and serious disease and they are leaky vaccines. Talking about reduction of infection and transmission is another politically-motivated goalpost shift.

Immunity from infection is as good as vaccines if not better. Denying this is Flat-Eartherism.

The fact that we could make vaccines for this in the first place was predicated on the knowledge that the immune system could fight-off COVID-19 after previous infection and we could mimic this with vaccines:
Paul Offit is a voting member of the FDA's advisory committee on vaccines.

Martin Kuldorff developed several of the CDC's vaccine safety surveillance statistics:
Martin Kulldorff on Twitter: "The Pfizer COVID vaccine protects against severe disease and death for at least 6 months, while protection against asymptomatic and symptomatic infections wanes rapidly. https://t.co/S4G55JUuDK" / Twitter

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have a feeling that genetics has a part in it
That's mostly false.

Scientific research indicates a small segment of the population are prone to carrying around an extra 10 pounds.

That's it.

And that's why you didn't see a bunch of fat people decades ago.

People are fat because they're eating more and are less active.

I know people who work out hard and eat reasonably and still cannot get lean. The old nature vs nurture.
This just doesn't happen.

They're either overeating/not reducing calories or not actually exercising.

Usually it's the overeating/not reducing calories part because it's easiest not to be accountable.

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
And I think there’s a ton of social pressure to not be fat. The pressure to not shame fat people is much less than the pressure to not be fat
Not anymore.

When everyone in your family is fat there's no pressure.

When everyone in your community is fat there's no pressure.

We're at something like over 50% of the population being obese.

In some communities that rate is higher.

Plus the "body positivity" movement which is really just code for "It's OK to be fat."

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There's nothing for you to be sorry about. I'm telling you that it IS working. In the real world, religious freedom claims ARE being accepted. This is happening. Alan's interpretation is obviously, at this point in time, not shared by hospital administration/legal. So for now, in many cases, it IS working. Period.

Isn't Alan like 90 years old now?

What constitutes a "sincerely held" religious exemption to a vaccine mandate? - CBS News

There are tons of news articles on this. A lot of discussion going on. The above is just one of many. So this IS going on, with help from labor lawyers. Who apparently disagree with AD.

:shrug:

That may change, but we will see. I know people that got out of going to Vietnam by claiming a religious exemption.
I was told in my hospital system there would be pretty much 0 medical excuses and relgious exemption would be highly scrutinized.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
That's mostly false.

Scientific research indicates a small segment of the population are prone to carrying around an extra 10 pounds.

That's it.

And that's why you didn't see a bunch of fat people decades ago.

People are fat because they're eating more and are less active.

This just doesn't happen.

They're either overeating/not reducing calories or not actually exercising.

Usually it's the overeating/not reducing calories part because it's easiest not to be accountable.
You are on fire this morning, tough shift?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
A town to the north of me is so short on teachers, they will pretty much pass any 'get out of vax' excuse , or kids won't have teachers.
The teacher shortage was coming. Covid just hastened it.

My sister and her husband are both ready to retire.

They wanted to work 3 more years but covid at the end of the career is a deal killer.

Teaching in person is like a 1000 times more effective than online and Zoom.

Zoom is just pretending.

If you don't mind pretending it's a great option.

Despite the mask, which puts me in fight/flight, my classes are going great.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

They wanted to work 3 more years but covid at the end of the career is a deal killer.

Zoom is just pretending.

You can thank the right for the constant attacks on teachers and of course they now turn around and bitch about a shortage. You seen any of those school board meetings, who would want to deal with that insanity?

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
I was told in my hospital system there would be pretty much 0 medical excuses and relgious exemption would be highly scrutinized.
My district has a different response - oh, okay, we have lots of people who will take your job yesterday, don't let the door hit you in the a$$!

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020

Zoom is just pretending.

Mask on all day. Take it off when kids are out of classroom and before school. Not pleasant but not horrific. Meh just feel for the kiddos but they tough it out.

Job security for me. Lots of older teachers who were on fence are now retiring. We'll see about those who choose not to vax and will be working somewhere else.