Mental Health thread

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
True.
Undeniable perspective.
Don't ruin a good thing.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?
Takes one to know one.
You become what you hate.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
"If life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion."

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Subway's advice is real get shlt done type stuff. That's the only thing you can do when business must be handled.
For situations that are more... flexible, consider embracing it. Not the inability to focus itself, but what it is telling you about you.
If you're having trouble focusing on something, it could be because that thing isn't for you. Sure, if it's important paperwork or some necessary thing, you may need a "life hack" like exercising to exhaustion an hour before whatever task you need to accomplish. If you're trying to read a book though, because you're thinking "reading this will be good for me", and your brain just isn't having it...maybe play tennis, shoot a basketball. If you can't focus on looking for a job...stop doing it online, walk/drive around and do it the old fashioned way. I can't focus on things that suck, but I can obsess over things I enjoy.
Embrace being you, use more of your energy figuring out ways to make that work and less of it trying to change. People don't really change, much.
This might be terrible advice, I'm a grown @ss child of a man, but I am relatively happy and recently upgraded to a "silver" health insurance plan.
This also has merit. Perhaps there is a middle path here

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Got kidney punched by a rogue SUP in 3 meter (9ft) by 15 second interval set waves the other day. I can feel my ribs again today. The swelling is pretty insane. No bruising; I guess I'm a kung fu man, bruise on the inside and all that stuff.

Sneezing, coughing, walking, reaching for anything with my left hand, even sitting up straight is a literal pain in the entire side of my body.

Haven't been able to sleep on that side yet neither.

Mierda Christmas!

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Why on earth would you subject yourself to that?

oh, kids, right? Ugh. I mean, I’m sure the kids are cool, but that sucks that they come with a loony bird mother

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Euthanized our 15 yo cat today. My wife's best buddy and companion. She's wrecked which screws with my head obviously seeing her so and being unable to do anything to lift her spirits. I'm crushed too, looking for the pussy everywhere. The cat. :shameonyou:

On a positive note, my kidneys swelling has started to subside, and I should be able to surf again soon.

:waving:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Penned the deal for a new job today. mental health pretty pretty good right now although very anxious about putting in my 2 weeks at the current gig.

i dig the boss even if i hate the people under her and shes always had my back through different employers as ive worked for her at different companies.where she goes, she always winds up bringing me along eventually. i just got her xmas card today, the timing is shitty but the new peeps want to get started asap. i hate situations like these but the money's better, benny's, the eventual commute is waaayyy better, and i dont like anyone else i work with besides her, and frankly most of the time i dont think they like working with me anyways.

will probably lose sleep over this bs tonight.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Penned the deal for a new job today. mental health pretty pretty good right now although very anxious about putting in my 2 weeks at the current gig.

i dig the boss even if i hate the people under her and shes always had my back through different employers as ive worked for her at different companies.where she goes, she always winds up bringing me along eventually. i just got her xmas card today, the timing is shitty but the new peeps want to get started asap. i hate situations like these but the money's better, benny's, the eventual commute is waaayyy better, and i dont like anyone else i work with besides her, and frankly most of the time i dont think they like working with me anyways.

Good luck with the next gig
And sleep well

Reactions: CutnSnip and Hump

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Sounds like the right move with everything you described. If you are in with the crown, the rest of the idiots don’t matter.

Reactions: npsp

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Well the last few days have been tragic, hectic and mentally taxing.
My best friend/partner in crime since I was 4 passed away suddenly on Christmas Eve. He was a pilot for SW and was on a layover in Maui. He was walking with his co-pilot back to their hotel to get ready for their return flight when he started to complain about back pains and needed to sit for a bit. He told his co-pilot to go ahead without him and he would catch up. He never did... A person driving by saw my friend slumped over by a tree and made a u-turn and started CPR and called 911. Emergency responders could not resuscitate him. He died alone, far away from home. I am still in shock and am alternating between the denial and anger phases of grieving.
We learned of this from his x-wife at 6 PM on Friday and had to wait for his older sister to drive from LA to San Diego so we could inform his dad and 3 children/young adults (who had lost their mom when they were very young). It was gut wrenching to witness the devastation this news caused but I owe it to my friend to be there and make sure his kids are taken care of as best as possible.
I've known these kids since before they were born, my son has been best friends with his kids since they were born. It is a terrible tragedy for them and we are and will do everything we can to help them. It is so hard to see them suffer and know that no words can ease their pain. We are doing our best to surround them with friends but in the end, they are alone and will need help navigating their paths forward. We are up for this but it is daunting as we suffered a great personal loss almost two years ago to the day and are still grieving and recuperating ourselves.
If you have a minute, please send positive thoughts and vibes out to 3 kids who just lost their father and have had their lives turned upside down.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Well the last few days have been tragic, hectic and mentally taxing.
My best friend/partner in crime since I was 4 passed away suddenly on Christmas Eve. He was a pilot for SW and was on a layover in Maui. He was walking with his co-pilot back to their hotel to get ready for their return flight when he started to complain about back pains and needed to sit for a bit. He told his co-pilot to go ahead without him and he would catch up. He never did... A person driving by saw my friend slumped over by a tree and made a u-turn and started CPR and called 911. Emergency responders could not resuscitate him. He died alone, far away from home. I am still in shock and am alternating between the denial and anger phases of grieving.
We learned of this from his x-wife at 6 PM on Friday and had to wait for his older sister to drive from LA to San Diego so we could inform his dad and 3 children/young adults (who had lost their mom when they were very young). It was gut wrenching to witness the devastation this news caused but I owe it to my friend to be there and make sure his kids are taken care of as best as possible.
I've known these kids since before they were born, my son has been best friends with his kids since they were born. It is a terrible tragedy for them and we are and will do everything we can to help them. It is so hard to see them suffer and know that no words can ease their pain. We are doing our best to surround them with friends but in the end, they are alone and will need help navigating their paths forward. We are up for this but it is daunting as we suffered a great personal loss almost two years ago to the day and are still grieving and recuperating ourselves.
If you have a minute, please send positive thoughts and vibes out to 3 kids who just lost their father and have had their lives turned upside down.
Very sorry for your loss, npsp
My heart goes out to you and your families
May he rest in peace
And I hope his kids and family and friends and everyone who will miss him find peace again soon

it’s a reminder that every day people are suffering through a profound loss
If you’re not one of those people today, be thankful, and considerate of those who are

Last edited:
Reactions: npsp and PPK96754

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
What a bummer of story, npsp.

Grief is, well, whatever it is and however you deal with it, it comes in waves. Think you've dealt with it, and then, whammo, right in the face again.

RIP to NPSP's friend.

Good luck to survivors.

Reactions: npsp

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Yes, Grief is a tough one and everyone deals with it differently. We had a terrible personal tragedy at the beginning of 2020 and the three of us, while dealing with it together, each of us did so differently.
It does come in waves and the trick is to recognize when the wave is coming and knowing that it will eventually ebb.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

mazel tov, amigo

good problems to have