Mental Health thread

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Ah, guilty As charged…The sun wear t sh!t thing confused me

im right there with you but I’m pulling the cord when I hit a few million. Ancillary income will come from renting our beach house every summer and hosting yoga retreats at our home in Nicaragua

Reactions: Waterlogged05

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
and, I know I’m in a high stress Corporate sales job, but I’m not grinding for like, 100 k per year. That would suck and would not be worth the trade off.

Go ahead and join Truth complaining about the waves anywhere and kindly "go away reproductively" :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I totally get that but I also kind of enjoy running roughshod and uncaring around the corporate environment, well known not to seeking any rank but to make bank. Sometimes I get too fired up about sh!t, but other wise the whole thing is a big game to make as much money as I can by the time I’m 50 and have some fun doing it
Agree to a point but when the approving manager is a continent away it's hard to run rough shod over them... and, their inaction impacts your ability to make bank. I make more now and have a much better work culture situation so I am happy and like what I am doing.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’m pretty good at getting my way at work. ABC still rules the game at our place, so that gives top earners a lot of autonomy, and people snap to it when you need chit done. Or you just do what you gotta do, and pretend to ask forgiveness afterwards if anyone has a problem with the deal you just closed

I’m getting back to a mental place where I love what I do, and the money is coming back too. All good in the hood

Reactions: npsp

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
This is somewhat mental health related but didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I often have trouble focusing during my free time when I am trying to read, or do important things like look for a new job. The term ADD or ADHD has been bandied around before. I don't place too much stock in psychiatrists; the idea of prescribing amphetamines to help someone concentrate seems akin to madness to me.

Lately I have been chewing gum a lot which seems to help a bit. Does anybody have any tips for focusing on the task at hand?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
My mental health has never been better. I barely work.
I started right during the furlough so I have accumulated a shitload of PTO in just over a year. Actually, haven't even touched any of it as I still have 50+ hours of furlough time I can use. It's good for surfing (which goes with mental health), along with every other Friday off. Took all week off this week and have surfed 4 of last 5 days; been really damn fun. :jamon:

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Went subway mode and pissed in everyones coffee at work this week, think I may have shat in some peoples lunch. Is that even a saying??

Now I am about to head on vacation with a ton less stress.
And pops is doing a million times better!

Good stuff. I hope you are all getting ready to spend some time with friends and family.
TAKE NO PRISONERS AND HAVE NO MERCY!

and then wish Janet and Sameer a happy holidays season and walk out for 2 weeks, dropping your mic in Lundbergs coffee on the way

glad to hear about your dad, happy holidays bub

• Love
Reactions: santacruzin

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
This is somewhat mental health related but didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I often have trouble focusing during my free time when I am trying to read, or do important things like look for a new job. The term ADD or ADHD has been bandied around before. I don't place too much stock in psychiatrists; the idea of prescribing amphetamines to help someone concentrate seems akin to madness to me.

Lately I have been chewing gum a lot which seems to help a bit. Does anybody have any tips for focusing on the task at hand?
Practice and discipline. It sucks as a kid in our prison like prussian school systems, but as an adult you need to learn the coping devices and set the intentional habits to manage your life and get sh!t done. It’s not easy but every time you get distracted sit your ass back down and work. Or get up off your ass and go knock on doors, whatever the task is. put your keys wallet and phone in the same places at home and office or your person, always. Drill a bit of OCD into your daily life

trust me, it’s better than going on speed for it. You learn to manage it, trick it, train yourself, whatever it takes

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Practice and discipline. It sucks as a kid in our prison like prussian school systems, but as an adult you need to learn the coping devices and set the intentional habits to manage your life and get sh!t done. It’s not easy but every time you get distracted sit your ass back down and work. Or get up off your ass and go knock on doors, whatever the task is. put your keys wallet and phone in the same places at home and office or your person, always. Drill a bit of OCD into your daily life

trust me, it’s better than going on speed for it. You learn to manage it, trick it, train yourself, whatever it takes
Thanks. I can tell this is good advice as I asked a close friend and he said essentially the same thing. Establish a rigid routine.
First order of business is going to bed and waking up at the same time everyday, even on my days off. Wish me luck, this is a trickier than it sounds for me.

Reactions: Boneroni and Subway

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

Subway's advice is real get shlt done type stuff. That's the only thing you can do when business must be handled.
For situations that are more... flexible, consider embracing it. Not the inability to focus itself, but what it is telling you about you.
If you're having trouble focusing on something, it could be because that thing isn't for you. Sure, if it's important paperwork or some necessary thing, you may need a "life hack" like exercising to exhaustion an hour before whatever task you need to accomplish. If you're trying to read a book though, because you're thinking "reading this will be good for me", and your brain just isn't having it...maybe play tennis, shoot a basketball. If you can't focus on looking for a job...stop doing it online, walk/drive around and do it the old fashioned way. I can't focus on things that suck, but I can obsess over things I enjoy.
Embrace being you, use more of your energy figuring out ways to make that work and less of it trying to change. People don't really change, much.
This might be terrible advice, I'm a grown @ss child of a man, but I am relatively happy and recently upgraded to a "silver" health insurance plan.