Mental Health thread

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Sorry about your loss, npsp. It's both humbling and horrifying how fast things can change in seemingly an instant. :(

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Sorry about your loss, npsp. It's both humbling and horrifying how fast things can change in seemingly an instant. :(
Thanks Kento.
This is a warning for all of us middle agers. My friend was in very good shape, was an avid Mtn and dirt biker. He road several times a week. Ate well, moderate drinker and a non-smoker. He also had acid reflux issues for a long time and had been complaining about them lately. We think he may have ignored symptoms of cardiac problems thinking it was just his reflux flaring up.
It's scary because at our age and how we lived our lives, we all have constant aches and pains. Do not ignore them and if something seems odd, go see your Dr.!

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
So sorry for your friends family , yourself and everyone who is hurting from this tragedy NPSP.
Must say you are the kind of friend every man wants to have, major stepping up by you to be there for your friends family in that moment.

Make sure to take care of yourself over the next few weeks. As other said grief comes in waves.
Rest in power to your friend.

Reactions: npsp

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Wait, sh!t, when does middle age start? dammit

and yeah man, grief is a strange thing. One day you think you are stoic, admirable even, in your fortitude, manning up and showing up for the other bereaved, taking care of business etc…the next day you’re crying like a baby for an hour in the shower. Hang in there pal, we’re all here for you

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I appreciate all of the nice words! The erBB is good people.
We're taking care of ourselves and, unfortunately, have experience getting through traumatic events.
It will be a heavy evening as it is his daughter's 20th birthday today. We are having a small gathering for her and will try and surround her with love and security.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Please tell me large numbers of obese, heavy drinking and poorly eating white males skew that number heavily? No pun intended.

Because, when my dentist saw me for the first time after the Covid lockdowns, and I had lost 60 pounds, first thing he said to me was “you’re gonna live a lot longer” which I of course immediately took to mean like at least 90, maybe a decline as I near 100

im not particularly afraid of death in the grandiose sense, I think we just blink off, like we blinked on when we gained first consciousness. But, I enjoy life too much to be excited about dying at 78, not after all the work and food discipline and exercise and sobriety and mental health and freaking yoga for krishnas sake. I mean, I get out there and carpe diem, you guys all know that about me by now, but 78 seems young for the healthy folks in generation X

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Please tell me large numbers of obese, heavy drinking and poorly eating white males skew that number heavily? No pun intended.

Because, when my dentist saw me for the first time after the Covid lockdowns, and I had lost 60 pounds, first thing he said to me was “you’re gonna live a lot longer” which I of course immediately took to mean like at least 90, maybe a decline as I near 100
50 is the new 30. I'm 55 and consider myself middle aged. I still beat my son and his friends to the top of the hill at Blacks so I have that going for me.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
A lot of it is genetics and luck. Have a lot of 90-100 year olds in my family tree
Some of them were in no way shape or form healthy
Just do your best to make healthy choices and as npsp said above don’t ignore sh!t.
Ask your doctor for tests if something feels off

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! I’m 42 and with my recent health strides, and several years without booze, I feel better than I did in my 20s. Granted I was a broke, fat, lazy drunk in a quarter life crisis, but I literally feel as athletic as I did in high school. And I'm the same weight now too. In fact I weigh less than I did senior year by 10 pounds….I weigh what I weighed as a sophomore

Love paddling and surfing circles around guys Half my age on the same sized boards

but I’m also humbled by the OTHER 20-something guys who surf like mid caliber pros, not to mention those dudes who have 10-20 years on me and can keep up with a competitive lineup

Last edited:
Reactions: npsp and CutnSnip

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Well the last few days have been tragic, hectic and mentally taxing.
My best friend/partner in crime since I was 4 passed away suddenly on Christmas Eve. He was a pilot for SW and was on a layover in Maui. He was walking with his co-pilot back to their hotel to get ready for their return flight when he started to complain about back pains and needed to sit for a bit. He told his co-pilot to go ahead without him and he would catch up. He never did... A person driving by saw my friend slumped over by a tree and made a u-turn and started CPR and called 911. Emergency responders could not resuscitate him. He died alone, far away from home. I am still in shock and am alternating between the denial and anger phases of grieving.
We learned of this from his x-wife at 6 PM on Friday and had to wait for his older sister to drive from LA to San Diego so we could inform his dad and 3 children/young adults (who had lost their mom when they were very young). It was gut wrenching to witness the devastation this news caused but I owe it to my friend to be there and make sure his kids are taken care of as best as possible.
I've known these kids since before they were born, my son has been best friends with his kids since they were born. It is a terrible tragedy for them and we are and will do everything we can to help them. It is so hard to see them suffer and know that no words can ease their pain. We are doing our best to surround them with friends but in the end, they are alone and will need help navigating their paths forward. We are up for this but it is daunting as we suffered a great personal loss almost two years ago to the day and are still grieving and recuperating ourselves.
If you have a minute, please send positive thoughts and vibes out to 3 kids who just lost their father and have had their lives turned upside down.
Deepest condolences to you and to the family of your friend. Truly tragic.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! I’m 42 and with my recent health strides, and several years without booze, I feel better than I did in my 20s. Granted I was a broke, fat, lazy drunk in a quarter life crisis, but I literally feel as athletic as I did in high school. And I'm the same weight now too. In fact I weigh less than I did senior year by 10 pounds….I weigh what I weighed as a sophomore

Love paddling and surfing circles around guys Half my age on the same sized boards

but I’m also humbled by the OTHER 20-something guys who surf like mid caliber pros, not to mention those dudes who have 10-20:years on me and can keep up with a competitive lineup
:shameonyou:

All the stupid chit you do to your body as a youth comes back to haunt you in later years.

Nothing is in vain.

:waving::shaka:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY

All the stupid chit you do to your body as a youth comes back to haunt you in later years.

Nothing is in vain.

Perhaps, but I cleaned up pretty early. I suppose I smoked heavily and long enough that it might come back to haunt me. I plugged the jug before cirrhosis or any other fun by product of heavy daily drinking kicked in. Supposedly the liver is good at healing itself given time and clean living

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory

Nothing is in vain.

Again this all depends. great grandma was 102 when she passed and she drank and smoked a ton. Had a pretty high quality of life until her final years.
Friends dad he never smoked and barely drank. No drugs , passed away in his office at 65.

You just never know so live your life to the fullest.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Carpe diem
I have some centenarians on my moms side (quakers are known for living a long time, but that was probably because of their clean and sober lifestyle habits in an era when people usually lived like pigs and died by 30)

. Dads side, heart issues run in the family, but some long lives too. even with my cholesterol being just fine and all that, I’ll always keep an eye on the ticker.
its all a genetic crap shoot. I mean, I feel better in mind body and spirit when im living lean and clean and green, but I don’t pretend that all that clean livin guarantees me anything but feeling good that day and that day alone. I HOPE it pays off with a long, fun, healthy and interesting life that ends peacefully around 120 or so, but, like I said, no guarantees

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Well, if you're fit, 50 is the new 35, and I'm only 42. I'm still in young adulthood. Hell apparently a lot of shrinks say one's emotional development stops as soon as you pick up an addiction, and I was all over the sauce at a ripe young age. So really, between my dramatic health improvements in the last several years, and my stunted emotional growth, I'm like 22 years old.