If you left California, where would you move?

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Beautiful valley/mountains, great skiing/skitouring/hiking. Unreal food, fun people, high standard of living.
Slovenian Alps are also super awesome. The problem with those modernized EU countries is their income tax rate is ridiculous, almost 40% if you are making $75k or more. Croatia has crazy high income tax too. Bosnia has good tax rate of 10% for citizens. It has some great skiing and awesome lakes and rivers, but still under developed so you can get great deals on housing. Hungary is super cool too, only 15% income tax, Budapest is one of the best looking cities in Europe.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Slovenian Alps are also super awesome. The problem with those modernized EU countries is their income tax rate is ridiculous, almost 40% if you are making $75k or more. Croatia has crazy high income tax too. Bosnia has good tax rate of 10% for citizens. It has some great skiing and awesome lakes and rivers, but still under developed so you can get great deals on housing. Hungary is super cool too, only 15% income tax, Budapest is one of the best looking cities in Europe.
Bulgaria is something like 10% as well, plus cheap skiing, beaches, and food is supposed to be killer

Reactions: PeterDj

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
So I left California 7 years ago for the PNW. My wife asked me last year if I wanted to move back to North County SD (she had a prospective job offer) and I said no. Surprised her... and myself. Her cousin, who I really like hanging out with, lives in Carlsbad. Our girls are close in age. And I'd be able to harass a lot of you knuckleheads. It would be cool, but now that I've been up here a while there is a lot I enjoy and want to do.

After 7 years I'm finally acclimated to colder weather, water, etc. Mountain biking when its 42 degrees and wet is fun. Hunting in the cold is rad. Paddling out and embracing the cold rather than cursing it... takes time, even with the right gear.

For this phase of my life, I'm where I want to be.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I have no problem paying tax if you get excellent services in return.
Why would you leave California to end up paying more money? Everyone is leaving because it's too expensive. The idea is find someplace cheaper that is just as nice if not better.

Reactions: barneysd

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
Why would you leave California to end up paying more money? Everyone is leaving because it's too expensive. The idea is find someplace cheaper that is just as nice if not better.
It's expensive, yes, but I think a lot of the frustration is the ROI, or lack thereof, you get on services. People feel like they're paying a lot in taxes and getting little to nothing in return.

Reactions: ghostshaper and JDJ

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It's expensive, yes, but I think a lot of the frustration is the ROI, or lack thereof, you get on services. People feel like they're paying a lot in taxes and getting little to nothing in return.
In that case I suggest you reconsider South Jersey, and if you've lived in California all your life, and you go from Santa Monica to coastal Germany, I'd plan on being seriously seasonally affected the first winter or four....teen.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Right, but when you run the numbers western europe, canada, australia etc... are still more expensive. We pay 20-25% federal + state income tax in california assuming you make over $100K, plus cost of health insurance is about $200/month if you're employed by a company or $400/month private. It's still cheaper than making $100K in western europe and have them take 40% of your income. Plus, car insurance and fuel costs are way more expensive in europe too. However, I do agree that what we do get for 25% income tax is pretty much crap.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ As part of a childless couple paying for public school via property taxes and whatnot, I am hoping everyone raises their bright kids who go on to stay in California and keep paying taxes to maintain the infrastructure. Don't let my contribution to the public trough be wasted.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
So I left California 7 years ago for the PNW. My wife asked me last year if I wanted to move back to North County SD (she had a prospective job offer) and I said no. Surprised her... and myself. Her cousin, who I really like hanging out with, lives in Carlsbad. Our girls are close in age. And I'd be able to harass a lot of you knuckleheads. It would be cool, but now that I've been up here a while there is a lot I enjoy and want to do.

After 7 years I'm finally acclimated to colder weather, water, etc. Mountain biking when its 42 degrees and wet is fun. Hunting in the cold is rad. Paddling out and embracing the cold rather than cursing it... takes time, even with the right gear.

For this phase of my life, I'm where I want to be.
Cool...I think I met you when you were down here? Or was it SBD...we were doing some tree assessment field work for the witch creek fire and we needed some help...not sure what happened, but good you like it up there. Me, I've come to appreciate warm weather in my aging years...

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
and literal fkn castles on the hillsides
There is a castle on a hillside in Portland.

1608248656097.png

1608248616736.png
1608248704558.png1608248755588.png

Note: There was another castle not that far from this one that was torn down in 2010 or so. My brother said there were big landslide/subsidence issues. We used to skateboard past these things on weekend nights into downtown to catch a bus back to the top of the hills.

Dec 17, 2019
What was the straw that broke the camel's back?

Which part of Tennessee?
Hope I’m doing this right..don’t post much! The main reason is cost of living. Surfing was the main thing keeping me here but as I get older I’m surfing less and when I do go it’s so crowded that I’ve kinda lost interest. We’ve decided on Nashville, all things considered we really like the area and wife can transfer w her job. Kids are about to start kindergarten so we decided to do it before they get established in school,sports, etc

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Right, but when you run the numbers western europe, canada, australia etc... are still more expensive. We pay 20-25% federal + state income tax in california assuming you make over $100K, plus cost of health insurance is about $200/month if you're employed by a company or $400/month private. It's still cheaper than making $100K in western europe and have them take 40% of your income. Plus, car insurance and fuel costs are way more expensive in europe too. However, I do agree that what we do get for 25% income tax is pretty much crap.
Where do you get your health insurance figures? Unless your company is paying 100% of premiums, you're paying a lot more that $400/mo to be on most companies plans for a family of 3 or more.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
^ As part of a childless couple paying for public school via property taxes and whatnot, I am hoping everyone raises their bright kids who go on to stay in California and keep paying taxes to maintain the infrastructure. Don't let my contribution to the public trough be wasted.
With covid and distance learning public schools are a complete joke, that system is more antiquated than our healthcare system. I have two kids doing distance learning right now, and it is a joke. I'm guessing it wouldn't matter how well financed, or prepared Californian's public school system is, they would find a way to fuck it up. I totally see why people are opposed to giving money to public schools now, and I never thought I'd be one of those parents.