If you left California, where would you move?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Domestic: Nevada side of S. Lake Tahoe so wouldn't have to pay taxes. Wouldn't mind having a second home over there to periodically rent out either. And if Utah-level powder is wanted, just a short drive over.

Coastal Oregon wouldn't be horrible either. Blame Aruka's surf reports.

Hawaii is always nice. I wouldn't want to work there though, just be happily retired. Judging from other comments, though, probably not in Kailua.

International: Australia. Due for another trip over there soon.
I have been checking Real Estate in this area as well. A few months ago there was a 265 acre ranch with a cabin just below Spooner summit. 3 million. It was up in the mountains between Carson City and lake Tahoe. I would gladly dump my local property here for something like that. But right now, in California it's a buyers market.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Federal taxes top out at about 33.3% You add California tax in and at the higher brackets it's pushing 50%.

California and New York are the culprits. Dudes. The Key is to esablish a residence in a State that is tax free. It's getting harder. Make your tax free state your Homeslice.... Days of occupancy. Cali track it. Pay cash. Once the State of n out of state of California recognizes you as an out of state resident. It's getting hard to do. They cling on you like a tick....

The Tax Board of California is fighting everybody who leaves now. These are people who have income. Establishing residency in another state to douche California is a primary goal.

I have heard of a California State initiave that as a former state resident you will ALLWAYS be subject to California State tax. What is brewing out there to keep us down.

Last edited:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Make it your vaction spot.

Live in someplace like Jarbidge NV . The most remote community in the lower 48 states. Where your gun is your friend. Pay cash upon visiting your Cali holdings. No trace....

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
If you can prove you live there for 99% of the year with e reciepts...California is like a Bad Rash.... It will never go away as long as you have money......

SClem. local

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 19, 2002
I don't see myself selling. But I am glad to see my out of state spot has not been mentioned here.

One day I spun a globe and randomly threw my finger down, then google mapped it. Google must have caught a swell. Waves. Long and nearly empty. It's somewhat fickle and freezing cold when best waves hit in the winter, but i've been fantasizing about it since. Fishing seems epic too. I need to go visit for an extended trip, but it turns out the wife can get us dual citizenship. I am not sure I can handle the cold and snow getting older but it's good to have a dream.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I have been checking Real Estate in this area as well. A few months ago there was a 265 acre ranch with a cabin just below Spooner summit. 3 million. It was up in the mountains between Carson City and lake Tahoe. I would gladly dump my local property here for something like that. But right now, in California it's a buyers market.
You think California is a buyers market now? I think it will become even more of a buyers market when prop 19 kicks in. Allot of retirees will flee the bay for better locations in the valley at some fancy retirement community.

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
Over the shitty local conditions and just want some acres of land now. Will rely on the odd surf trip or a BSR sesh. Looking into the landlocked, dirty south. Maybe take up some archery and get back into wake boarding.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
<iframe width="545" height="409" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: TangTonic

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
I love these kind of threads. It makes me appreciate where I live. It also opens my eyes to other epic places I never thought of.

Shiver, you seem to be doing it right!

Can we talk about Azores some more, they are really intriguing to me. Also, perhaps not for relocation but Japan really has captured my imagination lately. I am pretty fascinated by their culture. Never been there though. Seems like some of the outer islands could be pretty awesome. If only they would stop hunting cetaceans.

I hear great things about Columbia and Ecuador. Autprax, I would think Columbia would be top on your list. Drugs, beautiful loose women, and anything from high altitude alp type climate to ultra tropical. Plus its cheap!

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Yeah Leaverite!! Represent for the Crucian Massive! Midnite band lead by the late great Vaughn Benjamin was an amazing force of word sound and power.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
If you can work from home, setting up a homestead just inland from the Outer Banks puts you in striking distance to the best surf on the east coast with less hurricane damage. 1988/89. The year I went to college near there and surfed OBX nearly every weekend...still top 10 years in my surfing life and I've been in San Diego 28 years now.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
If you can work from home, setting up a homestead just inland from the Outer Banks puts you in striking distance to the best surf on the east coast with less hurricane damage. 1988/89. The year I went to college near there and surfed OBX nearly every weekend...still top 10 years in my surfing life and I've been in San Diego 28 years now.
ECU?

Not a whole lot just inland of OBX. Pretty rural until you get to Greenville which is hour and a half away. Rurals not bad though if that's your pace.

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
ECU?

Not a whole lot just inland of OBX. Pretty rural until you get to Greenville which is hour and a half away. Rurals not bad though if that's your pace.
And not nice rural, hog farms and swamp. Thought about the outer banks but it is very remote, still cold in winter and fast hard breaking beachbreak is not what I am really looking for when I get old and feeble.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I don't see myself selling. But I am glad to see my out of state spot has not been mentioned here.

One day I spun a globe and randomly threw my finger down, then google mapped it. Google must have caught a swell. Waves. Long and nearly empty. It's somewhat fickle and freezing cold when best waves hit in the winter, but i've been fantasizing about it since. Fishing seems epic too. I need to go visit for an extended trip, but it turns out the wife can get us dual citizenship. I am not sure I can handle the cold and snow getting older but it's good to have a dream.
LOL sounds like a dead ringer for one zone I was looking at, down to google catching a swell - I found the storm based on the image dates - but the farther latitudes all seem to be cold, less crowded, with good fishing.