If you left California, where would you move?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
my brother in law is building a compound on San Juan Island WA, no surf but a quick ferry to Victoria and you are off in Hump's old surf zone.
University friend married into old Orca Island land owning family (land rich, not so money rich...threw a great wedding). Just need a bit of timing luck and much more of the groom remembering his drunken talk to take advantage of a "deal" on an acre of land near West Beach. Oh and need much more cash than I presently have.

PS
As for the Tacoma-Seattle metro area, think it is depressing now, should have seen it in the 70s when timber industry declined and the gas crunch hit. (Same with Oregon.)

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Went down to Olympia to pick up my bike last week. It has degraded for sure. People blatantly shooting up in the alley 20 feet from the main streets and it just felt depressed to me. My daughter said what I was thinking, "this place needs to get fixed up!" She is 6 and figured that out.
I dunnow how long you've lived in the PNW and its been some time since I've been up to ole Oly or should I say stopped there, but it has always reminded me what the PNW was like in the early to mid 90's. Still kinda grungy and low key and not overrun by Californians, $$$, and, developers. Last time I was there, maybe 8 or so years ago had a nice meal at a cool little seafood joint and walked around town. Still felt authentic to me. Was on the list of places of interest for me for a while. Some good government jobs, cheaper and much smaller than PDX, and not to far from decent surf. Not for everybody, but I don't mind it. I still enjoy Seattle as well. Not the same as it was, but still a great city to visit. That said I wouldn't recommend moving to the PNW for all the reasons Bruhdakine previously stated in this thread. Shits pretty much all burnt down and nothing to see here......

Last edited:

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
What’s Tacoma like nowadays? Has it gentrified? I remember it seeming kinda rough last time I was there, but this was almost 20 years ago :unsure:
I was in Tacoma about 11 months ago. The real estate prices have soared, just like every other place which is in the Seattle region.
I have had a ton of family in the Seattle and Portland areas over the past many decades, so I've been a frequent visitor to the region all my life. I could feel comfortable living there, but prefer SoCal. I like the sun, and also saltwater that doesn't quickly induce hypothermia.

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I dunnow how long you've lived in the PNW and its been some time since I've been up to ole Oly or should I say stopped there, but it has always reminded me what the PNW was like in the early to mid 90's. Still kinda grungy and low key and not overrun by Californians, $$$, and, developers. Last time I was there, maybe 8 or so years ago had a nice meal at a cool little seafood joint and walked around town. Still felt authentic to me. Was on the list of places of interest for me for a while. Some good government jobs, cheaper and much smaller than PDX, and not to far from decent surf. Not for everybody, but I don't mind it. I still enjoy Seattle as well. Not the same as it was, but still a great city to visit. That said I wouldn't recommend moving to the PNW for all the reasons Bruhdakine previously stated in this thread. Shits pretty much all burnt down and nothing to see here......
I worked in the PNW in 97 before moving back to SD, so I know what Portland was like back then. Very mellow, understated. Started coming up again in the mid 2000s on trips.
Been here now for 8 years. Downtown Olympia has gone downhill in the 4 years I've lived here, similar to how downtown Seattle has. I generally avoid the cities right now.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
my brother in law is building a compound on San Juan Island WA, no surf but a quick ferry to Victoria and you are off in Hump's old surf zone.

Still some good waves at my old spot but enormous crowds some days (weekends mostly). A few other nearby spots are being surfed now because of the crowds at the old easy access places, but during the week and during the season (September to April) you can catch fairly uncrowded good waves there or nearby.

Anything up the west side from Tofino mostly requires a boat or a plane and if you're a stranger, a guide.

But there ARE waves.

Hope ya get some.

Hope this doesn't happen to ya, too.

.JRDropInMarch20.jpg

My old cabin on the beach first abode at JR, 1975 in the background.

99Water_Cabin.jpg

Take care.