If you left California, where would you move?

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
Born, raised, and lived in CA all my life. I love it here but hate what's happening to it.

Here in the States: I like Georgia, so maybe there. Or the Outer Banks. Is there a country-ish part of New Jersey near the ocean? That would be cool. Really any place that's rural near or semi near the ocean.

In Europe: Spain, France, Germany/coastal Germany,

NZ, too.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Born, raised, and lived in CA all my life. I love it here but hate what's happening to it.

Here in the States: I like Georgia, so maybe there. Or the Outer Banks. Is there a country-ish part of New Jersey near the ocean? That would be cool. Really any place that's rural near or semi near the ocean.

NZ, too.
Slower Delaware

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top and gbg

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015

NZ, too.
South Jersey is quite different from North Jersey.
Yes surf - lots of lefts - but not that great.
100A farm costs $500K.
3br2ba w/detached garage on 1Aabout 250K.
theres work but often seasonal.
Many start-up businesses do well but also tend to plateau due low population.
Avoid Frantic City.
Philly 1hr away; NYC 2 and change.
Shore towns are BOOMING.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
When you get older, starting over somewhere new seems more daunting.

What about France?

For the bread, wine, coffee and cheese?

And to stare at the pretty French girls?
I would do SW France for September-October. Not sure about the rest of the year, either too cold or crowded.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
If I couldn't surf- Utah. Or buy a sailboat and cruise the world. Anchor stowage might be a problem though (wife).

For surf- maybe Portugal. I loved it when I surfed there but that was back in the 80's. Might be disappointing now. My wife is Italian so the Euro zone is doable. In fact we are looking to find a small pied a terre somewhere near her family in (Venice).

I actually looked into NZ. Resident visas are really hard to come by. I think you need a job offer.

• Haha
Reactions: bluemarlin04

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
OZ uses an algorithm based on your age and demand for your skills, and I imagine NZ is similar. Every age you turn that ends in a zero drops your chances dramatically.

For retirement, I like the idea of rotation between 2-3 home base destinations throughout the year with some new trips to new destinations sprinkled in.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Midway UT.
Cost of living would allow quarterly surf trips to epic places to get my tube fill. I'd also get a small trimaran or foil boat for the reservoirs plus a bunch of other toys. Been on the radar since our good friends move to Park City.

Reactions: afoaf

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Domestic: Nevada side of S. Lake Tahoe so wouldn't have to pay taxes. Wouldn't mind having a second home over there to periodically rent out either. And if Utah-level powder is wanted, just a short drive over.

Coastal Oregon wouldn't be horrible either. Blame Aruka's surf reports.

Hawaii is always nice. I wouldn't want to work there though, just be happily retired. Judging from other comments, though, probably not in Kailua.

International: Australia. Due for another trip over there soon.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I'm in NZ.

Australia, Portugal, Spain, France. Probably in that order.
Spent half of 2019 being a JAFA living in the city, working for a sister company of my employer back in North America. NZ work culture was very mellow and it was essentially a vacation for me. So much good surf on North Island (Never made my way down to wellington). Reminded me of where I grew up (BC), but with better surf.

The only thing I didnt like about NZ was the road system :ROFLMAO: