Album Surfboards

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
The Lightbender I just got: 5'7" x 20.3" x 2.5" x?L
Twinsman on order at Varial: 5'8" x 19.75" x 2.38" x 32.2L

So far 3 sessions on Lightbender. Couple in subpar beachbreak and 1 in reefbreak where fish are meant to be ridden. I've ridden a lot of keel fin fishes and this one works really well so far. Looks like a trad keel fin up front but much more curve in rear third with fins placed waaaay far back towards the tail. Felt very drivey and fast, not loose. Basically a souped up keel fin that worked really well backside for me. Trad keel fins are tricky backside normally...

Cant wait to get the Twinsman to compare.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
re: alt constructions, XTR vs Varial for a Lightbender, which do the erbb Lightbender owners prefer?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Same, pu/pe here. Talking with Matt Parker, he seemed more enthusiastic towards Varial, and didn’t have any comment about XTR, fwiw.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I think a few pages back, someone was in the shop and Matt said varial is his preferred construction- but maybe that was for a bigger Townsend. Not sure it makes a huge difference and probably personal preference. I have PU Twinsman RP and now varial Plasmic. Both great. I like the varial feel in the smaller waves I’d surf it in. Seems like a good combo so far. FWIW I also really like XTR stringlerless or SL-C in small wave boards.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I think a few pages back, someone was in the shop and Matt said varial is his preferred construction- but maybe that was for a bigger Townsend.
that was partially me. was in context of a plasmic, and he said he personally vouches for Varial construction and is very familiar working with it but did not have any comment on XTR.

someone else echoed about the varial‘s benefits being more noticeable on longer shapes like the Townsend.

Reactions: oeste858

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
my lightbender is XTR. just the standard wood stringer kine. i've had many boards in that construction and am generally a fan. this one is no exception. little lighter and more lively than PU but not quite EPS level response and chatter.

can't compare it to varial as I haven't tried one in many years. the one i had dented like crazy after 2 sessions but supposedly that's normal? i dunno. people seem to like them and they last a while i guess. i'll prob try one again at some point.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I've been happy with the XTR construction on my Townsend. Just as good as all my previous XTR's. Out the door under 900. Pretty sure the same board in PU from Album with color would be a few hundred more and I would have already dinged it on a rock with my luck. Never tried Varial but seems like guys on here like it.

Reactions: oeste858

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I'm getting one in Varial. Will report back when it's done in 12 years.
I asked after I ordered mine and was quoted 6-8wks since mine is no-color and varial glass. I guess Album gets the boards to them relatively quickly. Machines and scrubbers aren’t backlogged.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I got mine in 8 weeks. It's varial with poly glass: 6/4+4oz. Ordered through album. This is my first varial and I'm loving it. There's still a solid case to make for XTR for the grovelers but I'll likely be ordering all my DDs on up in varial with that glass schedule.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I got mine in 8 weeks. It's varial with poly glass: 6/4+4oz. Ordered through album. This is my first varial and I'm loving it. There's still a solid case to make for XTR for the grovelers but I'll likely be ordering all my DDs on up in varial with that glass schedule.
Glassed at album or at variable?

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Just a regular layup. Varial is great in that it takes traditional glassing well, whereas with XTR you have to use their process.

Reactions: sdsrfr

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
INteresting, I ordered mine through Varial with the same glass schedule (poly glass: 6/4+4oz.), but I believe its getting glassed at Varial using the infusion technique.