Album Surfboards

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Fwiw, the duu that sold me the lightbender also had a twinsman and said he was selling the lightbender bc he liked his twinsman better for beach breaks

Reactions: Aruka

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
anyone have older album twins and measure the placements?

I have a feeling it was Asher who came in and asked to set them further back. DHD Mini Twin feels like similar DNA.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
How did you size the Twinsman compared to your Lightblender?
Sorry I missed this.

Lightbender 5-10 x 20.375 x 2.6
Twinsman 6-0 x 20 x 2.5

I went thinner on the Twinsman as I was under the impression that it had more of a flat/concave deck. I ran that thinking by Matt and he said yeah, go a little thinner and those are the Twinsman dims he recommended based on my Lightbender.

I think the sizing on both is pretty right on for me @ 6-3 x 180lbs.

Reactions: oeste858 and sdsrfr

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Have you been upping your volume, Aruka? I know sizing these kind of boards can be tough at your height

Reactions: Aruka

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Good, bad and ugly. This is the place to share it.

I've been riding this 5-10 x 20.38 x 2.6 XTR Lightbender a lot and very much enjoying it. It possesses most of the ease and glide of a good fish but with the narrower outline and slightly increased rocker it holds an edge and turns a bit sharper than an average twin fish.
View attachment 95932
View attachment 95933

This just arrived today, have yet to get it wet. 6-2 x 19.75 x 2.6 PU Insanity. Kind of a trippy board. Beak nose really carries foam forward. Bit fuller nose and narrower tail outline than I'd expected. Looks like it will paddle well. Rocker doesn't look extreme but its definitely not flat. Supposed to be ridden as a quad in good waves and a twin + trailer in small waves apparently. Will report back after I've given it a go.View attachment 95935View attachment 95936
i dont like album, the whole $, nor album people....but ****.....that deep blue one is the sex shape and color. fuggggggg! i want.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Have you been upping your volume, Aruka? I know sizing these kind of boards can be tough at your height
yeah definitely.

been creeping up from 31-32 to 33-34L for my HPSB's and likewise going up a little more for the fishy boards as well.

not sure what the literage is on the twinsman. doesn't feel like more than 35 but maybe it is.

Reactions: JDJ and sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
i was surprised how well the lightbender hid foam. def don’t be afraid to get a little extra.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Quick second impression on the Plasmic. This thing is thick. I ordered 2.65" and it feels like a solid 3". Foil? What foil? The nose is easily an inch and a half thick. Matt says the rail is low apex but it feels really round and fat in my palm. Definitely not as low or chined as other "fish" boards I've owned. Went a little narrower and thinner than Matt recommended, but it's still the fattest board in my quiver. Full on groveler dims. Glad I got this in a light tech, because in poly it would weigh a ton. Add resin tint and sweet Jesus. Judging by eye and feel, it's going to to be a good longboard alternative for the weakest, mushiest waves I surf.
If I walked into a shop and picked it up, I would look for one two sizes smaller. Hoping it surprises me in the surf.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Sorry I missed this.

Lightbender 5-10 x 20.375 x 2.6
Twinsman 6-0 x 20 x 2.5

I went thinner on the Twinsman as I was under the impression that it had more of a flat/concave deck. I ran that thinking by Matt and he said yeah, go a little thinner and those are the Twinsman dims he recommended based on my Lightbender.

I think the sizing on both is pretty right on for me @ 6-3 x 180lbs.
Thanks for the insight on the two boards. So do you tend to grab one over the other? If so why?

These seems like good dimensions for both boards.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thanks for the insight on the two boards. So do you tend to grab one over the other? If so why?

These seems like good dimensions for both boards.
I just got the twinsman so I'm still getting a read on it. So far though I would say it definitely has more top end. I would grab it over the Lightbender when the waves have good size and power. It has quite a bit of tail rocker so it doesn't outrun the pocket like more fishy boards. Lightbender has more built in glide and probably does a bit better in smaller waves. There is a pretty big overlap though, with both feeling like the sweet spot is probably in the chest to head high range.

For someone who wants to rip a twinny, Twinsman for sure. For someone who wants more fishy vibes, a little more cruisy and easy speed but still works great when the waves get good, Lightbender. It will still cut a sharp turn and slide around if you're up for it but it's more inclined to open face turns in my experience.

I just had a great session on the Twinsman. More lefts. Head high n juicy lefts. Got some really fun turns. Ran the TA Twins as per @frontsidegrab 's recommendation and they felt good. The NVS Album are so springy and fun but I was feeling a little underfinned and the TA's seemed to offer a little more hold. Next session I'll try the EN's to see what a bit more area and rake feels like. Even though the TA's felt better in the hold department, I still feel like I could use a little more rake to help draw my turns out a bit more.

Last edited: