Album Surfboards

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
INteresting, I ordered mine through Varial with the same glass schedule (poly glass: 6/4+4oz.), but I believe its getting glassed at Varial using the infusion technique.
Yep, mine is the same. It will be glassed at Varial. I think this is actually less expensive than glassed at album, too.

price aside, figured why not infuse if that is supposed to be mo bettah.

edit: as of checking right now it’s $130 less for a plasmic direct through Varial than ordered through Album.

Reactions: Aruka

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
INteresting, I ordered mine through Varial with the same glass schedule (poly glass: 6/4+4oz.), but I believe its getting glassed at Varial using the infusion technique.
XTR glasses all their boards.

Varial will need to do the glassing if you order "infused". If it's just standard glassing on the Varial, the shapers glass shop can do it.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
How do the infused Varials ride different form the standard glassed Varials? What are the other benefits of infusion?
I don't own any varials, so I'm not sure how they ride.

Varial claims infusion is a stronger lamination, but someone who's owned one would be able to answer if it's true.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
They use the same basic process that Hydroflex used when it was a thing. I had a few boards from them over the years and didn't notice much of a difference in durability.

Reactions: sdsrfr

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
They use the same basic process that Hydroflex used when it was a thing. I had a few boards from them over the years and didn't notice much of a difference in durability.
Oh got it. I had a couple Hydroflex boards. One was my favorite board ever. Hmmm.

I have a custom on order at Album, I wonder if I can request it be glassed at Varial for the infused lamination.

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
Actually, just looked at my invoice and I ordered the following: Glass Layup: Strong: 6+4 oz Deck / 6 oz BottomConstruction: Polyester Infused Glass

I also just picked up a stock Varial 5'9" CI Fishbeard for a trip to Salina Cruz next week and the thing is SO DAMN LIGHT. Not too worried about the 6/4 x 6 layup now based on that...

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Actually, just looked at my invoice and I ordered the following: Glass Layup: Strong: 6+4 oz Deck / 6 oz BottomConstruction: Polyester Infused Glass

I also just picked up a stock Varial 5'9" CI Fishbeard for a trip to Salina Cruz next week and the thing is SO DAMN LIGHT. Not too worried about the 6/4 x 6 layup now based on that...
those vanerial fishboards on their site were tempting me hard but I already had my twinsman on order.

hope you score in mex!

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

Yep. I happened to be up there so felt up a few in the shop. The flying turtle board was feather light, felt up a 6/4x4 and it felt “normal” so that’s why I went with the 6oz

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Varial claims infusion is a stronger lamination, but someone who's owned one would be able to answer if it's true.
my understanding is the resin goes deeper into the blank, making it adhere the glass with “anchors” into the foam, not jsut adhered on the surface. think like gluing and then screwing something down as opposed to just a surface bond with glue.

also, less resin used overall, resulting in a lighter board.

how much joe-nobody will notice? I have no clue. I went for it bc it was cheaper and hopefully better QC than Album glassing who are currently swamped with orders.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
my understanding is the resin goes deeper into the blank, making it adhere the glass with “anchors” into the foam, not jsut adhered on the surface. think like gluing and then screwing something down as opposed to just a surface bond with glue.

also, less resin used overall, resulting in a lighter board.

how much joe-nobody will notice? I have no clue. I went for it bc it was cheaper and hopefully better QC than Album glassing who are currently swamped with orders.
I would imagine the Varial infusion method would better deal with vibrations from choppy surf. All those time points focusing energy into the center of the foam rather than reflecting it.

[not even amateur physicist out!]

Repairing a Varial ding just requires your basic ding repair kit?

Reactions: oeste858

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
How do the infused Varials ride different form the standard glassed Varials? What are the other benefits of infusion?
I’m not positive, but I think it’s similar to Hydroflex’s
I would imagine the Varial infusion method would better deal with vibrations from choppy surf. All those time points focusing energy into the center of the foam rather than reflecting it.

[not even amateur physicist out!]

Repairing a Varial ding just requires your basic ding repair kit?
Any repair kit works. The blank doesn't absorb water, so no rush to fix small dings, which I did this morning swinging around to watch a set come through and banged the tip of my board on the corner of the beach shower frame.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Finally got my hands on a set of Album Gemini fins. Took forever to find a set. Will see if they give me the extra maneuverability I'm looking for with the Townsend. They look promising.