Album Surfboards

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
When there is a quiver for each board type in your quiver you know your quiver is on another level
Ha! Well I can only aspire to waxurDyl’s level of having multiple dims of the same board in each section of his sub-quivers. I also need a board barn now like aruka on his 40 acre ranch
Edit: plus, it ain’t even that bad. 80% of my boards were second-hand...
is how I justify my compulsion. :cool:

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
You're stocked. I've been blown away by mine in varial since I got it. It has carry and drive unlike any board I've experienced yet. It really wants to be tipped over and engaged smoothly. Think fish that can go vertical that happens to look more like a shortboard.
what fins are you enjoying? I figured I'd start with the NVS Album twins.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
ruker did you get a landcruiser?
its a lexus gx470. i guess in the non us markets they are sold as landcruiser prado. I just got it for cheap like a month ago. the plan is to drive it down and park it in cabo so I can fly down n surf when it goes flat here in the summer. been doing some work on it trying to get it all sorted out for the trip. i dunno, might be too much of a hassle but that's the plan.

twinsman felt pretty gu today. got some right closeout tubes this morning and some lumpy left runners this eve. neither session was easy. lots of lump and shiftiness and fast sections. not exactly the ideal waves for twin fin testing and I sort of expected to struggle but it felt pretty familiar from the first wave. whenever i got it on the open face it felt pretty snappy and easy to throw around and I never felt anything weird going on. would still like to get it in some more lined up surf to really sus it out but so far so good.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Would love for someone to compare Lightbender vs. Twinsman. Maybe when aruka gets some more sessions on his.

The other day, I happened to listen to the Twinsman podcast above. they were generally discussing the standard swallowtail Twinsman... but DLS had only surfed the roundpin version- which I have also and would imagine surfs very differently- so a lot of his impressions didn’t seem very applicable. Or his complaints would’ve been solved on the swallowtail.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Would love for someone to compare Lightbender vs. Twinsman. Maybe when aruka gets some more sessions on his.

The other day, I happened to listen to the Twinsman podcast above. they were generally discussing the standard swallowtail Twinsman... but DLS had only surfed the roundpin version- which I have also and would imagine surfs very differently- so a lot of his impressions didn’t seem very applicable. Or his complaints would’ve been solved on the swallowtail.
My first impression, based on 3 sessions on the Twinsman:

Twinsman is more snappy and pivotal feeling. Better in the pocket. Makes sense with that wing in the outline.

Lightbender feels like it gets into waves a split second sooner, skates over flat spots and carries speed onto open face better.

Twinsman feels more like a HP twin. Not terribly dissimilar from my Rusty twin.

Lightbender feels more like a narrow fish. It carries more foam forward so it has a bit more glide when weighted forward.

They do feel fairly similar in some ways and definitely overlap as far as the type of waves they would work in. Neither one is the most grovelly board ever but they will do okay in decent small waves.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Thanks. That makes sense based on the outlines. I like my 6’1 roundpin as a HH+ board so I think I would like the swallowtail Twinsman below that. there’s not even a sliver of a gap in the quiver there RN, after the recent Plasmic addition, but someday...
:LOL:
How did you size the Twinsman compared to your Lightblender?