2024 Huatulco Area Surf Guides

Apr 30, 2022
If you do the fly into Huatulco trip and your trip coincides with a gap between swells you'll be wishing you could blow burros for bus fare to Puerto.

If you wind up at La Ticla without a swell running, you will see so many adult learner k00ks it'll make waist high sunny Tofino on Canada Day look like Waimea during an Eddie heat.
Isn't Puerto Escondido area pretty much in the same swell window as Huatulco and Salina Cruz? I guess it picks up more due West swell? La Ticla I'm told is pretty consistent and gets both the NW and SW swell.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Isn't Puerto Escondido area pretty much in the same swell window as Huatulco and Salina Cruz? I guess it picks up more due West swell? La Ticla I'm told is pretty consistent and gets both the NW and SW swell.
Remember when I told you to not overthink it? If not, don’t overthink it.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
What would be considered a "nice" area to stay in/around between Huatulco and Salina Cruz? ... I like me some pristine beaches, good food and good surf.

80% of my surfing has been in spazzy cold water beach break that dish out a lot of close outs... so I am not overly hard to please if the waves are somewhat decent, but it would be nice to have the option of a few points within driving distance.

As mentioned, not opposed to paying for a guide or staying at a surf camp for a few nights, but the rest of the trip I'd like to be self sufficient, which sounds like it'd be better to stay somewhere closer to & south-west Salina Cruz? ...

Sounds like the whole area around Escondido is overly crowded.

Thanks
There is not much between Huatulco and Salina Cruz. And the main road is far from the points. You gotta know how to go. And if its been raining hard it can be hard to get through. You can stay at the cabanas at barra. There are cabanas at la bamba. You are going to be driving no matter if you stay in Huatulco or SC. Barra is 40 minutes from Huatulco. Chipehua is 40 mins from SC Then you gotta walk 20 minutes.

Apr 30, 2022
There is not much between Huatulco and Salina Cruz. And the main road is far from the points. You gotta know how to go. And if its been raining hard it can be hard to get through. You can stay at the cabanas at barra. There are cabanas at la bamba. You are going to be driving no matter if you stay in Huatulco or SC. Barra is 40 minutes from Huatulco. Chipehua is 40 mins from SC Then you gotta walk 20 minutes.
Thanks. You're referring to the La Bamba surf camp? Can you also surf the beach break there or do you have to walk around to the point? ... Is the surf camp at El Mojon worthwhile as well?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Thanks. You're referring to the La Bamba surf camp? Can you also surf the beach break there or do you have to walk around to the point? ... Is the surf camp at El Mojon worthwhile as well?
Ive surfed bamba a couple times. There are 2 mini points. No beachbreak I am aware of. Jaime's moms place at Mojon, La Perla is nice. You can stay right there and walk to surf Mojon and Majagual.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Ive surfed bamba a couple times. There are 2 mini points. No beachbreak I am aware of. Jaime's moms place at Mojon, La Perla is nice. You can stay right there and walk to surf Mojon and Majagual.
I dug hanging out at Jaime's mom's restaurant and eating fish tacos and having that beach right there. It's pretty remote if you're looking for amenities, but hanging out in the day was great, especially after going to the private point in the morning.

Apr 30, 2022
I dug hanging out at Jaime's mom's restaurant and eating fish tacos and having that beach right there. It's pretty remote if you're looking for amenities, but hanging out in the day was great, especially after going to the private point in the morning.
Is La Perla the camp operated through Toro Surf Trips? It's the only one I could find at Mojon. I had reached out to them a few weeks back and they had mentioned the restaurant is closed this year. Would that be the only restaurant at Mojon? ... I also see a place called "Quetzali Villa" ?

I don't really need many amenities if I can gas up, grab a few groceries and some drinks somewhere in the area, but having at least 1 restaurant close by is pretty important.

It looks like there are a couple restaurants at / near La Bamba as well?

Last edited:

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Is that the camp operated through Toro Surf Trips? It's the only one I could find at Mojon. I had reached out to them a few weeks back and they had mentioned the restaurant is closed this year. Would that be the only restaurant at Mojon? ... I also see a place called "Quetzali Villa" ?

I don't really need many amenities if I can gas up, grab a few groceries and some drinks somewhere in the area, but having at least 1 restaurant close by is pretty important.

It looks like there are a couple restaurants at / near La Bamba as well?
I don't think it was a camp for us. Jaime took us there to surf and have lunch at his family restaurant, and he said they had just started renting rooms out. I didn't see anything else there. There was one big "resort" looking thing on the sand where we sat and watched the waves, but it was empty except for a security guard. And, this was 1.5 years ago, so I may be a little out of date.

Dec 1, 2021
any recs for places to stay in Huatulco? will be solo or with 1 other buddy maybe. Doing the guide thing... Toro recommended Quinta Real but it looks a little out of town up on a hill. Am I better off somewhere in town to walk to get food and stuff if I'm solo? first timer. I saw one of the vets recommend Quinta Bella so was looking at that too

edit: after reading this thread and doing a little more research also considering Nexpa vs Huatulco... going April 14th-20th (only week I can get away) and was just gonna pull the trigger somewhere last minute based on swell. just want to surf a ton, eat tacos, and not check email

Last edited:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Holiday inn is hard to beat. Walking distance to many restaurants including one of my favorites, mercader. I also stayed at hotel santa cruz last trip and its 2 blocks from holiday inn. About $75 a night. Quinta bella is amazing if you can get in. Its twice as much as holiday inn or hotel santa cruz.

Reactions: sunny26 and scdad
Dec 1, 2021
Holiday inn is hard to beat. Walking distance to many restaurants including one of my favorites, mercader. I also stayed at hotel santa cruz last trip and its 2 blocks from holiday inn. About $75 a night. Quinta bella is amazing if you can get in. Its twice as much as holiday inn or hotel santa cruz.
cool thank you. you’re gone with the guide pretty much all day right? I don’t mind spending the extra money on a nicer spot but I guess seems like a waste if I’m never gonna be there

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Holiday Inn was great for my kid and I. Picked up at 5:30am, and got back between 2 and 8pm depending how long we surfed. Nice hot shower and comfortable room to get you rested. Walked to town for dinners. Took a taxi a couple of times, and it was like $2-3.

And, the guys that I surfed with a couple of days stayed at a super budget place for the reasons you described. They said it was tolerable, but they wished they stayed at the Holiday Inn considering.

Reactions: sunny26

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
If you ever bring a romantic interest down there that doesnt surf Quinta Bella is the place. She can get breakfast and a massage while you surf the morning session. Most of the guides will have full cars so they wont be coming back before lunch. Could get tricky. When I would go in March or late Oct with my GF, my guide would do just a long morning session especially late October when he is exhausted.

Reactions: sunny26
Apr 30, 2022
is La Perla at Mojon the same camp operated through Toro Surf Trips? It's the only one I can find there

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
La perla is jaime and toro's moms place. Not sure if that is part of the package if you use him as a guide or not?

Apr 30, 2022
La perla is jaime and toro's moms place. Not sure if that is part of the package if you use him as a guide or not?
That's not the only restaurant at Mojon is it, if it happens to be closed at the time? I know there is one at a place called Casa Xadani up the road