2024 Huatulco Area Surf Guides

Apr 30, 2022
Is the violence in Michoacán primarily inland? ... Been reading wild sh!t in the news recently in that state about IEDs and mines on the roadways, as well as military, cops, farmers and mayoral candidates being killed.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Is the violence in Michoacán primarily inland? ... Been reading wild sh!t in the news recently in that state about IEDs and mines on the roadways, as well as military, cops, farmers and mayoral candidates being killed.

Yeah, be wary if you're planning on running for office

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
This is kinda bs man.
Do these guides own the land around those breaks or are they friends with who owns them? Assuming they are not public land, which usually it is and you need to leave some kind of access by law. But yeah nobody in latin america respects those laws. I’d pay, but is bs they get special rights to something they don’t own.
And i’d avoid holidays and days when those mexicans gonna be drinking, even if you’re with a guide.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
This is kinda bs man.
Do these guides own the land around those breaks or are they friends with who owns them? Assuming they are not public land, which usually it is and you need to leave some kind of access by law. But yeah nobody in latin america respects those laws. I’d pay, but is bs they get special rights to something they don’t own.
And i’d avoid holidays and days when those mexicans gonna be drinking, even if you’re with a guide.
I know for at least one of the points- the guides all pool their cash and pay the farmer/land owner an annual fee for access. The ocean is public. But the land you gotta cross to get there is not.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
This is kinda bs man.
LOLs

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
This is kinda bs man.
They pay the land owners for access. Depending on the location there is access between parcélelas but it can be few and far between. That means a dirt road but not necessarily parking. Varies from place to place. For example there’s public access here but parking is limited to the restaurant, everything else is fenced off.

Reactions: paunch23

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Totally understand.
Theres places like that here and the owner lets people open the gate , no charge. Pretty generous of him actually cuz people could 1 leave trash, or leave the gate open and his cattle could get out. Havent been there in a while. Im sure once they develop real state they won’t let just anybody in. But they dont do it to be asshls. I think is mainly for security and not to get sht stolen.

Here they dont understand surfers lookin for a specific place/wave. They think they can just go somewhere where theres an entrance and go play in the ocean there.

Like everytime i get stop in Panama they go: where you from. Assuming all surfers are gringos hehe.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Is this an "enjoy it while it lasts" scenario? https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20240325-mexicos-controversial-new-superhighway... Lake so what so many other surf destinations have become?
Puerto's already BTFO with crowds and of late the sand looks like garbage. I was watching some 90s videos recently and the change is pretty dramatic. The left point in town there is BTFO. The right points down South are already pay-to-play and some look BTFO with crowds. I gave up on that article after like the fifth fucking healing crystal/shamanic bullshit clause.

The road itself looks cool. Flights to Puerto from here were always a fortune; Oaxaca flights are much more affordable and that looks like a cool city for a last night of the trip.

This is kinda bs man.
There's points in Southern Oaxaca and points in Southern Sinaloa where sh!t seems way more locked down. I've been told by visitors right when they started locking down the rights in Oaxaca that no pay = rock through the windshield. I've been told by people who work in resort property management that the privatization in Southern Sinaloa is the result of paying off the local black market conglomerate and that you'd way rather pay some to access it their way than pay all to access it your way, just the once.

Also farmers getting merked was mentioned above. I would not start spouting off in the public square about how avocados use too much water to grow and f--k those things and f--k the money they're worth.

Reactions: mundus
Apr 30, 2022
What would be considered a "nice" area to stay in/around between Huatulco and Salina Cruz? ... I like me some pristine beaches, good food and good surf.

80% of my surfing has been in spazzy cold water beach break that dish out a lot of close outs... so I am not overly hard to please if the waves are somewhat decent, but it would be nice to have the option of a few points within driving distance.

As mentioned, not opposed to paying for a guide or staying at a surf camp for a few nights, but the rest of the trip I'd like to be self sufficient, which sounds like it'd be better to stay somewhere closer to & south-west Salina Cruz? ...

Sounds like the whole area around Escondido is overly crowded.

Thanks

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I surfed small pascuales and it was very fUN.
It’s seasonal. Can go onshore early. Tecoman is sketchier than never before. Good looking young woman. Nobody does business without paying informal tax. Ditto for everyplace else on the pacific coast. So there’s always that element around. As a traveler you shouldn’t have to deal with that. Don’t make yourself a target.

First time I went there was this time of year. The beach was busy with temporary brothels and vendors of party favors. The place we stayed, the owner cut up a decent sized hammerhead on the beach, solid 4 meters.

Reactions: sizzld1
Apr 30, 2022
It’s seasonal. Can go onshore early. Tecoman is sketchier than never before. Good looking young woman. Nobody does business without paying informal tax. Ditto for everyplace else on the pacific coast. So there’s always that element around. As a traveler you shouldn’t have to deal with that. Don’t make yourself a target.

First time I went there was this time of year. The beach was busy with temporary brothels and vendors of party favors. The place we stayed, the owner cut up a decent sized hammerhead on the beach, solid 4 meters.
I've heard Tecoman is super rough around the edges and to avoid lingering there. Although also one of the few places with a bank to take out cash if you're planning on spending time in Pascuales or further south.

Is El paraíso and Cuyutlan safer and reasonably nice compared to Pascaules? I've heard the surf breaks there aren't as board breaking? The plan was to head from Manzanillo to La Ticla, but the flight would get in late afternoon so I was planning on spending a night or two closer before heading down. I hear Barra de Navidad is nice but in the opposite direction and San Juan de Alima is a bit too far to on my first day before night.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I've heard Tecoman is super rough around the edges and to avoid lingering there. Although also one of the few places with a bank to take out cash if you're planning on spending time in Pascuales or further south.

Is El paraíso and Cuyutlan safer and reasonably nice compared to Pascaules? I've heard the surf breaks there aren't as board breaking? The plan was to head from Manzanillo to La Ticla, but the flight would get in late afternoon so I was planning on spending a night or two closer before heading down. I hear Barra de Navidad is nice but in the opposite direction and San Juan de Alima is a bit too far to on my first day before night.
Fly to Zihuatanejo. Rent a car. Drive to Nexpa. Stay off of the road as much as possible. There’s a guy up there, Royce, that his gal (maybe ex now) owns some sort of fitness place(s) up around Tofino. Find him. He knows the area. Don’t over think it, the best plan only works until the first shot is fired.

Apr 30, 2022
Fly to Zihuatanejo. Rent a car. Drive to Nexpa. Stay off of the road as much as possible. There’s a guy up there, Royce, that his gal (maybe ex now) owns some sort of fitness place(s) up around Tofino. Find him. He knows the area. Don’t over think it, the best plan only works until the first shot is fired.
That's one option. If I did the April trip it'd likely be flying into Zihuatanejo then drive to Troncones, Saladita, and Nexpa. If I did the November trip it'd likely be flying into Manzanillo and head for La Ticla.

If I do the fly into Huatulco trip, I was thinking somewhere west of Salina Cruz. Puerto Escondido area sounds too much like a blown out butthole these days.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That's one option. If I did the April trip it'd likely be flying into Zihuatanejo then drive to Troncones, Saladita, and Nexpa. If I did the November trip it'd likely be flying into Manzanillo and head for La Ticla.

If I do the fly into Huatulco trip, I was thinking somewhere west of Salina Cruz. Puerto Escondido area sounds too much like a blown out butthole these days.
If you do the fly into Huatulco trip and your trip coincides with a gap between swells you'll be wishing you could blow burros for bus fare to Puerto.

If you wind up at La Ticla without a swell running, you will see so many adult learner k00ks it'll make waist high sunny Tofino on Canada Day look like Waimea during an Eddie heat.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

This April? If not get back to us next year. Why stop at La Saladita and Troncones? Are you coming to surf or hang out with white people and eat overpriced food?

Maybe someone will chime in and tell us which places aren’t blown out buttholes. I’d be interested to see that. You’re not breaking new ground here.