2024 Huatulco Area Surf Guides

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I talked to Jaime today.
The guides working around Huatulco have formed an association for this season and beyond. They have standardized fees and services. Booking with them now includes gas, non alcoholic drinks, breakfast, power bars, shade, chairs. Below is fee schedule he sent me.

Screenshot_20240222_155006_Messenger.jpg

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
I was planning a post today about traveling to the area around Barra, staying just north of there at the Cosmos Residences in September. Booking a package with a travel company called Thermal, and the guide is apparently one of the OGs who's name is Pablo Narvaez.

Anyone have good stories from the waves in that area, what you surfed, how was it, preparation tips if any?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I've had 11 trips now down there since 2016. I use the same guide and stay where I want in Huatulco. If you just want to surf Barra you can get a driver and pay the fee to surf there and surf with 50-75 or more people all crammed in a 25 yard wide take off zone off the rocks. My guide has access to a point on private property where you could get it empty or just a handful of guys. Others have access as well, but its less crowded than other places. Hotels in Huatulco are cheaper than Cosmo. Quinta Bella is amazing. If its just you and a buddy or you and significant other, a hotel is way cheaper. Cosmo is $200+ a night. QB is $150. Look around. Target a week where its low tide in the morning. If you can pull the trigger last minute, its always best. Bigger does not mean better. Bigger means pros are in town, big crowds, relentless current and low wave count. Maybe a bruised ego and broken boards. Bring a short board and step up. Early season and late season are best. Now is the time. If you go in May-Sept its crowded. Late Oct trips have always been best for me. Get on a bike to prepare for the paddling if its big. I would not book with anyone else except Jaime Santos Jimenez. His IG page is oaxcoastsurf

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
GBG knows what's up. Jaime and his bros are great. I'm glad to see he's making food and drinks a standard. Feeding his clients for a long day on the beach is key.

Apr 30, 2022
Does this also include the Salina Cruz area? ... Is pretty much every break in this whole area aside from La Bocana and Barra De La Cruz closed to public surf access unless you hire a guide or are staying at a surf camp these days? ... That sounds like the worst level of surf exploitation I've ever heard if I need to pay nearly $300 Canadian a day to surf at most breaks in the area; If be happy surfing enough surfing near close out beach break.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
No does not include salina cruz. If you stay at La Perla at Mojon you can surf there and the break on the other side of the point without a guide. There are a couple other points near there that are guide only. If your plan is to only surf Bocana or Barra, I would go elsewhere. Salina Cruz is a better option but may be a zoo.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Also keep in ming. If you go solo, tgere is a chance there will be others down there and your fee per day be determined by how many other guys are in the truck.

Apr 30, 2022
Thanks for the suggestion! I wouldn't mind staying at a surf camp for 2-3 nights, but an entire trip with those prices is well beyond what I could financially budget for.

My surf trips I am usually solo and on my own schedule, renting a vehicle, staying at mid-range accom, and exploring is the way I've always done it... Sounds like this area is less than ideal for that and surf tourism has found a way to privatize/exploit the waves without building the mega resorts? I guess that's better?

I had planned to get accommodation at La Bocana but that sounds like it would very much limit my options for surf. So either stay at Mojon; looks like two surf camps there? ... or stay up in Salina Cruz if I want a bit more freedom to surf explore?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Down in Salina Cruz not up. SC is 2.5 to 3 hours down the coast depending on how many big trucks you get behind. You can rent a car and go to Faro without a guide. From Huatulco it's 90 minutes each way. Its a great wave, especially when its bigger. You need a 4WD to go up to the point but you can walk it.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Bocana is a small swell or windswell wave. It has its day but I wouldn't go there and just surf there.

Apr 30, 2022
Thanks for the help. In the opposite direction would the Chacahua west of PE be an area you'd consider?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
No. Not really. Ive heard good thi gs about chacahua but theres more waves from Huatulco to Salina Cruz.

Apr 30, 2022
Is this system of guide access only to surf breaks something fairly exclusive to Mexico in this year? Was kind of curious how/why this system originated around here?

A consequence of growth in surfing popularity over a finite resource has always led to increased crowds and exploitation of good breaks in one form or another. Mostly I've seen this as unsustainable development, van dwellers, or expensive resorts, which is often sucks. Last big surf trip I had was to Cerritos in Baja Sur and it was nothing compared to how it was years ago.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
No, it has been this way in this part of Oaxaca since the 2006 contest at Barra. Place blew up.

Reactions: mundus
Apr 30, 2022
So fly into Huatulco, spend a night or two in the area...

then head to a surf camp in the area, or down to Salina Cruz? ... Looks like getting accommodation in the area just west of Salina Cruz if I want to do the "solo surf exploration" thing?

For a two week trips sounds like a combination of those two things would be the best bet?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

then head to a surf camp in the area, or down to Salina Cruz? ... Looks like getting accommodation in the area just west of Salina Cruz if I want to do the "solo surf exploration" thing?

For a two week trips sounds like a combination of those two things would be the best bet?
You are gonna get some heat paddling out without a guide in Salina Cruz.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006

I would split time in Huatulco and Salina Cruz if I were you. If you go to SC and can get in, the Conejo Resort is right on Punta Conejo. You can walk to surf. Love that wave. I had 2 stays at Oaxaca Soul Surf, now Luna Coral Soul Surf. They will dial you in. If yo are in Huatulco, stay at any hotel you like. Get a taxi to Barra and surf with 75 of your friends. You may be able to surf Mojon without a guide. I would pay Jaime to take you to his spot.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

unless you take breaks two weeks of surfing there would ruin you unless you’re a marathon runner or power squatter. My legs were toast after just a few days.

Reactions: gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
unless you take breaks two weeks of surfing there would ruin you unless you’re a marathon runner or power squatter. My legs were toast after just a few days.
You are not wrong. 2 weeks if its mid summer, fucking christ its hot. I couldnt do 2 weeks. 10 days was my max. My back gave out before my legs. 7-10 days is more than enough if you are getting up at 5 every day.