Equity is a race to the bottom

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Smart kids find a way.

Getting rid of AP math classes won't make or break them.

Are top level American tech universities wanting for applicants?

Don't tell anyone a secret that all teachers learn: You don't really need to teach smart kids.

It's the dummies that eat up your resources.

On and interesting side note, they got rid of developmental writing and math classes at the JC and State colleges in CA.

So the dumb kids are taking a hit too.

This is a bigger change in education for the worst. The people who are in a tizzy about AP math getting abolished should be worried about that.

No one gets that this is a move on (labour) the teachers by management (the admins).
I don't mean to trivialize the extent to which labor is getting squeezed by the admins here, and that's definitely your arena.

But getting rid of AP math classes is going to hurt domestic students. There were like 2 kids who had a passion for math and were taking college math classes at 15 years old right after Algebra II. The rest of us needed instruction and repetitive practice to learn and apply the concepts.

IMHO far more kids are going to read good literature, or even watch a movie like Saving Private Ryan, Dunkirk, 1917, etc. of their own accord than are going to do practice math for fun. They'll see a picture of the Great Wall, think it looks badass, read about Chinese history, maybe pick up The Art of War.

Who the f--k is going "Man, I really need to bang through about three dozen integrals right now. I'm just feeling the intellectual curiosity"?

I mean if this is a ploy to squeeze Autoprax, why isn't Autoprax manning the fckn barricade with Sharkbiscuit and ifallalot and saying f--k this noise?

Reactions: Ifallalot

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I mean if this is a ploy to squeeze Autoprax, why isn't Autoprax manning the fckn barricade with Sharkbiscuit and ifallalot and saying f--k this noise?
I did put up a fight when the knee first came down on my neck.

But they crushed my soul.

It was weird how brutish the power move was.

I almost got fired, kicking up a fuss.

It was a matter of take a knee or we don't renew your contract.

This happened at the same time I lost the use of my right foot due to a spinal injury.

I knew we were in trouble when the President of the college said we are all part of a community, part of a family.

The Surf Dog and PRCD have told me I should quit in protest.

But I have to finish what I started.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
fine by me. why make the kids who dont want to learn algebra learn it? its useless. i had to take a bagillion classes in college and high school., all this algebra, geometry and statistics, for a film degree. i use none of it now. If people want to seek out a higher education of math prior to college theres avenues for them to learn it.
I certainly disagree. The purpose is for brain development. To make your brain work better. Be smarter. Are you going to use all the push ups on a job resume?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I knew we were in trouble when the President of the college said we are all part of a community, part of a family.
That's code for "We're all gonna adopt a certain philosophy and if you don't like it you can GTFO"

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
That's code for "We're all gonna adopt a certain philosophy and if you don't like it you can GTFO"
I work with people who left when the hammer came down. They just went to other schools and it's more of the same.

I am so close to the end.

I won't get evaluated for another 3 years so I can just do my thing and go and I will have managed to put in a full career.

I know quite a few people who have a work trauma at 40 and they stop working, riding on the coat tails of the spouse or the state.

I didn't want to do that. Could not do that.

Reactions: grapedrink

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I work with people who left when the hammer came down. They just went to other schools and it's more of the same.

I won't get evaluated for another 3 years so I can just do my thing and go and I will have managed to put in a full career.

I know quite a few people who have a work trauma at 40 and they stop working, riding on the coat tails of the spouse or the state.

Education administrators at all levels are locked in a battle royale to see who is the most woke, actual education of students notwithstanding.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005

3 years from now will be interesting. The CRT battle is starting to heat up. On one hand it's so entrenched in rank & file admins that it might be a foregone conclusion. On the other hand tons of parents and the occasional teacher are starting to blow the whistle on this retrograde ideology. It's not a Fox News conspiracy theory anymore.

Reactions: grapedrink

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Try and get rid of AP courses in the San Dieguito Union HSD and you'll initiate a battle with every helicopter, tiger, you name it mom living in the district. No way AP courses will be pulled in those districts that have the reputations for "excellence". The parents won't allow it.

Reactions: Woke AF

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
And yet your generation didn't even sniff calculus until college.

Did you even have final exams in middle/high school?
Yes, we did. If you didn't pass some required classes, you did not advance to next year or graduate.

Summer school bailed us out.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Smart kids find a way.

Getting rid of AP math classes won't make or break them.

Are top level American tech universities wanting for applicants?

Don't tell anyone a secret that all teachers learn: You don't really need to teach smart kids.

It's the dummies that eat up your resources.

On and interesting side note, they got rid of developmental writing and math classes at the JC and State colleges in CA.

So the dumb kids are taking a hit too.

This is a bigger change in education for the worst. The people who are in a tizzy about AP math getting abolished should be worried about that.

No one gets that this is a move on (labour) the teachers by management (the admins).
Teaching is hard.

Those that do......