Equity is a race to the bottom

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
fine by me. why make the kids who dont want to learn algebra learn it? its useless. i had to take a bagillion classes in college and high school., all this algebra, geometry and statistics, for a film degree. i use none of it now. If people want to seek out a higher education of math prior to college theres avenues for them to learn it.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If the kids come out of whatever the f--k essential concepts 8, 9, and 10 are just as ready for precalc in 11th grade as previously, then I am cool with it. I'd probably be pissing in a plastic bottle in an Amazon warehouse if I didn't have precalc in 11th grade and calc in 12th to prepare me for college math classes.

Senior year of high school and freshman year of college seem like a very distracting and distracted time for so many monumental decisions. I can't speak to other schools, but if these kids come out behind and try to go to Florida, they'll get curved out of STEM by students from states/countries with more rigorous curricula.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I'm ambivalent.

I like the idea of kids who are gifted and wanting to learn more in a subject getting to do that.

I also agree with CutnSnip that community colleges are a better way to do that. This option would also save states and communities money on education spending.

Reactions: Havoc and john4surf

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Of all injustices and wrongs that are happening in this country, THIS is what FOXfuckingNEWS and ifailalot are outraged about.

This was worthy of a thread in ifailalot's mind.

Just think about it.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
fine by me. why make the kids who dont want to learn algebra learn it? its useless. i had to take a bagillion classes in college and high school., all this algebra, geometry and statistics, for a film degree. i use none of it now. If people want to seek out a higher education of math prior to college theres avenues for them to learn it.
So you're saying that taking endless trigonometry classes didn't help you in becoming a better editor?

Interesting.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I can't speak to other schools, but if these kids come out behind and try to go to Florida, they'll get curved out of STEM by students from states/countries with more rigorous curricula.
People that run education have a hard time understanding that the world outside of education is a competitive one.

Reactions: Ifallalot

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
So they go take classes at community college. It's a win-win.
I don't know what your local community college is like or how close to home it is but in my case our community college here sucks and is about half an hour drive from home. Our high school is a five minute walk or a two minute bike ride. Also, you probably wouldn't want your 15-16 year old at the community college. Perhaps its different where you live.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Ok, but I think it is removing the advanced math courses for those kids who are good at math who elect to take that path. There's no reason for kids who are good at math to be stuck with their peers learning the same stuff over and over when they are clearly ready to progress.

In my high school there was the middle path that maybe 2/3's took, including myself. There was the advanced path that allowed for AP credit for the kids who really wanted to pursue engineering or other hard sciences. Then there was the slower "for fook sake, just graduate and stay out of jail" path that was a dumbed down version of the middle path. Only 2 years of math was actually required to graduate in the state I grew up in.

Not sure what's wrong with that?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Also, I think that there needs to be more emphasis on statistics. Not so much in the "you need to calc this out by hand" repeatedly, but in how to interpret the results. Understanding variability within groups versus between, confidence intervals, and other basic values is incredibly important to understanding what is told to us in regards to scientific findings.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
wasn't there an article that pointed out all the AP classes were basically a soul
crushing struggle that didn't actually yield academic benefit to the kids long term?

I'm pretty chill about school...mostly because I was a fk up and still managed to
do okish

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I don't know what your local community college is like or how close to home it is but in my case our community college here sucks and is about half an hour drive from home. Our high school is a five minute walk or a two minute bike ride. Also, you probably wouldn't want your 15-16 year old at the community college. Perhaps its different where you live.
See, scared child.