Equity is a race to the bottom

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
wasn't there an article that pointed out all the AP classes were basically a soul
crushing struggle that didn't actually yield academic benefit to the kids long term?

I'm pretty chill about school...mostly because I was a fk up and still managed to
do okish
I think you can say that about a lot of high school. Although I think if they get college credit and can shave off the cost and time commitment of a college degree, it's a win/win.

I also think that the senior year of HS is a complete waste of time for most. All I did was get baked before class, or skip class to get baked. Often both on the same day depending on how I was feeling. Plus burger king and taco bell.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
People that run education have a hard time understanding that the world outside of education is a competitive one.
ahhhh, no.
I guess you have not been around many students who say, 'you gave me a B! This is the first B I have ever received. I'll never get into college because of you..................'
Or students bragging to any and everyone what SAT scores they received.

Or teachers who list on their walls where last year students went to college. Or have ever been in a teacher's lunchroom
:confused:.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
wasn't there an article that pointed out all the AP classes were basically a soul
crushing struggle that didn't actually yield academic benefit to the kids long term?

I'm pretty chill about school...mostly because I was a fk up and still managed to
do okish
F--k that article. No AP Calc and I'd be working at McDonald's. No AP English and I probably would have cost my parents another semester instead of testing out of the requirement. No AP Spanish and I'd be even worse at it. Even the AP Econ test I talked my one teacher into letting me take because I could bail on class and then go to the gym before the rest of the teachers got wise to my scheme fkn snitches....

Worry about Fareed Zakaria wanting to be a snitch and have school all year....wait a second, fewer kids at the Pier on weekdays in summer? GIVE ME MORE GLOBALIST PROPAGANDA FAREED! MAINLINE IT!!!!!

Reactions: Mr Doof

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
ahhhh, no.
I guess you have not been around many students who say, 'you gave me a B! This is the first B I have ever received. I'll never get into college because of you..................'
Or students bragging to any and everyone what SAT scores they received.

Or teachers who list on their walls where last year students went to college. Or have ever been in a teacher's lunchroom
:confused:.
IMHO Hammies isn't talking about your examples. You are talking about teachers. He is talking about administrative staff at the county/state level, unless I am misreading here.

Reactions: hammies

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
IMHO Hammies isn't talking about your examples. You are talking about teachers. He is talking about administrative staff at the county/state level, unless I am misreading here.
maybe, I was triggered.
but administrators are some of the most aggressive arseholes on the planet, so there is that.

the entire concept that academia is some utopia of safety and freedom to pursue one's dreams outside of competition:barf:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Ok, but I think it is removing the advanced math courses for those kids who are good at math who elect to take that path. There's no reason for kids who are good at math to be stuck with their peers learning the same stuff over and over when they are clearly ready to progress.

In my high school there was the middle path that maybe 2/3's took, including myself. There was the advanced path that allowed for AP credit for the kids who really wanted to pursue engineering or other hard sciences. Then there was the slower "for fook sake, just graduate and stay out of jail" path that was a dumbed down version of the middle path. Only 2 years of math was actually required to graduate in the state I grew up in.

Not sure what's wrong with that?
yes the smart kids shouldnt have to sit in slower classes just to pass time. not sure what the solution is to that. take a longer lunch?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Going slow is actually really good for you.

It allows you to go deep.

The autodidacts can go to the library or learn stuff online.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
So you're saying that taking endless trigonometry classes didn't help you in becoming a better editor?

Interesting.
if only the the producer im working with took trig he may be able to count. giving me :60 seconds worth of material for a :15 second spot. script was 4soundbites, 4 gfx cards, and 2 lyric ups with a 3 second end page. I literally told him you do the math. we have essentially 8 seconds of spot to work with.

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I think you can say that about a lot of high school. Although I think if they get college credit and can shave off the cost and time commitment of a college degree, it's a win/win.

I also think that the senior year of HS is a complete waste of time for most. All I did was get baked before class, or skip class to get baked. Often both on the same day depending on how I was feeling. Plus burger king and taco bell.
I wish I could eat like that again

I ate a single taco the other day and was full

it's a fkn tragedy

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
isnt that what happens now? except kids who dont enjoy it/need it are forced to take it.
Of course, which is how it should be. Eliminating the advanced option when there are a sufficient number who will voluntarily choose that option is a mistake.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
As far as the course content in public high schools goes, I think the soph year of HS will represent the point of diminishing returns for at least 90% of the students.

Those that can get into a college prep course after should be allowed do so and those who want to divert to the trades should be allowed to do that. But on the conditional basis - you don't get any more participation awards for merely being present and we're not going to compel your attendance.

I had 2 kids who filled their HS requirements and left at 16 and both ended up going directly into the community college thing afterwards. They're doing fine and they don't have any regrets about skipping the HS rat race. The others enjoyed the HS experience and stuck it out, but they're not doing any better these days than the 2 who didn't.