What are your realistic expectations of when and how the beaches will re-open?

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Look at the CA cams.
Morro Rock- packed
Huntington Pier- stupid crowded

everywhere else, FLAT and EMPTY

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Except that somewhere along the way here school has become a social safety net. Food, shelter, clothes, and a safe/positive environment for many kids. Right or wrong, this is for the have-nots, who need school to become at least semi-productive members of society. Autoprax said something to the effect as well, homeschooling is like a bandaid on a sucking chest wound. It doesn't come close to providing what kids need, especially for the little ones. Not sure how it could look for older/high school /college kids.
And, at least where I teach, the parents are not capable of it, day in and day out. Unless they are professionally trained as a teacher or/and are independently wealthy to stay at home. Not a large part of Americuh! Plus, they just want the damn kids out of the house.
I'm already looking towards next school year when a new crop of 1st graders, who will have missed a large chunk of Kindergarden, coming in with lower academic, social, and emotional skills. Plus the stress induced by this event.
School will definitely look different. Hopefully smaller class sizes, help for janitorial/cafeteria staff, more parent involvement..
Well said. We have two here getting “home schooled” by my wife and in the lockdown there’s no way you can cover the lack of group social interaction.

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
Through a friend the rumor is Big Island will be reopening beaches and parks soon. But we've only got about 7 cases and pretty much no tourists left on island. Kona arrivals yesterday were just a handful of homeowners.

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
So why in Santa Cruz is it ok for cyclist schmucks to parade all around Highway 1 close together, yet surfers can’t spread out in the water?

Reactions: Leaverite

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
So why in Santa Cruz is it ok for cyclist schmucks to parade all around Highway 1 close together, yet surfers can’t spread out in the water?
Granted, HB is still open but the lancers are still out in force, in packs, sniffing each others asses up and down the 1 here as well

Reactions: JonnyAvenues

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Huh.

It's almost like the bulk of the entire problem is New York City, where you can go FUCKING STILL GO SURFING NOW, ask Subway how, a nursing home in Seattle, and some peasants living downwind of some chemical refineries in Louisiana where the EPA cut all regs on air pollution so those people, who were going to die prematurely from that, are now going to die extra-prematurely from that, unless they get the Rona, at which point their comorbidities means they're way more likely to die prematurely from the Rona.

Over a thousand miles away from the NYC hotspot, can we surf here? Maybe dawn to 8am/6pm to dusk for people to surf, wet a line, walk their fckn dogs?
No.

We do have a 10pm to 5am curfew because some little girl was bystanding innocently in broad daylight and caught rounds about the vitals. Weeeeeeee!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Except that somewhere along the way here school has become a social safety net. Food, shelter, clothes, and a safe/positive environment for many kids. Right or wrong, this is for the have-nots, who need school to become at least semi-productive members of society. Autoprax said something to the effect as well, homeschooling is like a bandaid on a sucking chest wound. It doesn't come close to providing what kids need, especially for the little ones. Not sure how it could look for older/high school /college kids.
And, at least where I teach, the parents are not capable of it, day in and day out. Unless they are professionally trained as a teacher or/and are independently wealthy to stay at home. Not a large part of Americuh! Plus, they just want the damn kids out of the house.
I'm already looking towards next school year when a new crop of 1st graders, who will have missed a large chunk of Kindergarden, coming in with lower academic, social, and emotional skills. Plus the stress induced by this event.
School will definitely look different. Hopefully smaller class sizes, help for janitorial/cafeteria staff, more parent involvement..
Leaving aside the debate on education, when you force people to adapt to something different for an indefinite period of time, why should they switch back? The online education was never rolled out in our district. We're doing it all now. The kids behavior has actually improved. The middle one is no longer repeating curse words and the older one's attitude has improved a lot. Was the public school a positive environment for them? This is a matter of opinion. Definitely depends on the kids.

The class sizes will definitely get smaller because of declining enrollment. The pension crisis will otherwise ensure that no new teachers are hired. At least, that's what was happening in our district. I can only imagine poorer districts faring much worse. My kids aren't going back to public school after this.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Leaving aside the debate on education, when you force people to adapt to something different for an indefinite period of time, why should they switch back? The online education was never rolled out in our district. We're doing it all now. The kids behavior has actually improved. The middle one is no longer repeating curse words and the older one's attitude has improved a lot. Was the public school a positive environment for them? This is a matter of opinion. Definitely depends on the kids.

The class sizes will definitely get smaller because of declining enrollment. The pension crisis will otherwise ensure that no new teachers are hired. At least, that's what was happening in our district. I can only imagine poorer districts faring much worse. My kids aren't going back to public school after this.
Glad you are stepping in/up and taking a strong position in your kid's learning, and glad that you are able to do this. It is more of a privilege in America than most realize.

I will say that my experiences are that regardless of how homeschool works, it rarely matches the rigor and experience brought by a trained, professional teacher. Yes, there are teachers out there who suck, just like nay profession. I just haven't had experiences with any in my district.

I was more talking about families who really have no choice. Generational poverty, parents in prison/drug users/domestic violence situations/uneducated, no healthy meals/not enough food, non-existent personal hygiene (rotted teeth, no showers/baths, same clothes never washed), etc... School is the only place where these kids will have any exposure to some, what most people call, normalcy. We are the teacher/parent/nurse/counselor that they don't have. And, worse part, is that these kids will grow up, and become society's problem, at least if you pay taxes.

I agree that public school is far from ideal, and may even drag a small number of kids down, or at least not have them grow as they should. Imo, public education K-5 doesn't handle the top 5% (really smart/clever/hard working - don't get pushed hard enough) or bottom 5% (nightmare behaviors, learning disabilities) well, lumping them into the general education classroom. The bottom 5% drags down the entire class, taking a huge % of time and effort for their numbers.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Harry,

Thanks. I have no criticism of the teachers. They seem stuck between a rock (the government and bureaucracy) and a hard place (the kids and their parents, if any). I have a lot of friends who teach in the public schools. Either they gave up after 5 years or they stuck with it and homeschool their own kids.

I have no objection to trying to bring up the left hand side of the bell curve but there are few options for the middle and right who seem underserved by design. Also, if you're religious, you're going to be increasingly dissatisfied with the public offering.

I agree that parents don't have the same training as teachers but most can't afford private school and the earned income tax trap prevents most from earning enough money even if both parents go to work to pay for it. This leaves home school. This is the reality of being middle class in a high tax state and country.

Economically, I think the era of Prussian-style public education are probably coming to an end, so I feel like I have to adapt either way. Here are the economics of the situation:

I also wonder how much longer the State can fulfill the function of parents and family. Family is really not the function of a State.

Reactions: HarryLopez

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Harry,

Thanks. I have no criticism of the teachers. They seem stuck between a rock (the government and bureaucracy) and a hard place (the kids and their parents, if any). I have a lot of friends who teach in the public schools. Either they gave up after 5 years or they stuck with it and homeschool their own kids.

I have no objection to trying to bring up the left hand side of the bell curve but there are few options for the middle and right who seem underserved by design. Also, if you're religious, you're going to be increasingly dissatisfied with the public offering.

I agree that parents don't have the same training as teachers but most can't afford private school and the earned income tax trap prevents most from earning enough money even if both parents go to work to pay for it. This leaves home school. This is the reality of being middle class in a high tax state and country.

Economically, I think the era of Prussian-style public education are probably coming to an end, so I feel like I have to adapt either way. Here are the economics of the situation:

I also wonder how much longer the State can fulfill the function of parents and family. Family is really not the function of a State.
Family life has been a function of the state in ever-increasing ways since the Industrial Revolution, with rapid acceleration after the second World War and the entrance of more women in to the work force. The reasons for this are fairly obvious.

Reactions: HarryLopez

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Family life has been a function of the state in ever-increasing ways since the Industrial Revolution, with rapid acceleration after the second World War and the entrance of more women in to the work force. The reasons for this are fairly obvious.
This is where the looney radicals say that the state wants to destroy the family now

• Haha
Reactions: FecalFace

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I can't tell you what to do with your kids. Would the State make a better family for your children than you and your wife, in your opinion? You can always turn them over as wards.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
This is where the looney radicals say that the state wants to destroy the family now
No, it's just seems to be an unfortunate side effect.

If this crisis causes prices to drastically drop, then families may be able to do the home school effectively.

Here's your conspiracy theory: If housing prices drop a bunch, how do we keep Chinese investors from scooping it all up? The whole plan is to just buy America. Then rent it back to us.

• Love
Reactions: PRCD

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
It was fine until people driving into Santa Cruz from places like San Mateo, Fremont and Sacramento ruined it for everybody. And common. You can't call yourself a surfer and say you "Social Distance" when there is a prime takeoff area 5 yards across and 40 brobrahs are out...

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Harry,

What I always wonder is: What skills will these kids need in 10-12 years when they enter, if they go, college or the work force? The world is changing so rapidly, and shet like this virus event, will change what skills they need to be a productive member of society more often. Unless they all work for the only few corps (Google, Walmart, Amazon, etc..) left after this economic catastrophe. Granted, some skills might be continuos, like hard work, perseverance, social skills, technology... maybe?
I remind myself everyday, giving these kids a place where they feel loved and cared for is a huge part of my job, even though it may not matter for anything later in life.
And, just for thought, I moved from HI because the public schools were pretty rough. Not all, but it depended where you lived. Private school meant 20K/year for 13 years. With price increases, that could be 300K, aiming to spend another 200K-plus on college. What if I just sent the kid to public school, kept a tight leash, supplemented some learning, raised a hard-working, flexible, socially/emotionally strong kid (pie in the sky thinking I know, but gotta hope/think positive), and invested that $$ long term, so the kid might have a shot at not struggling through life?
Ahhh, fck, I got no answers just observations. And, not the flat earth/I can see too far conspiracy observations!

Reactions: PRCD

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
t
I can't tell you what to do with your kids. Would the State make a better family for your children than you and your wife, in your opinion? You can always turn them over as wards.
There are so many clueless, incapable and unaware parents that do things that border on child abuse.

The same people who think it should be all left to the "family", wonder why we have so many homeless and sick people.

Ironically, they now want the government to do something about it.

Libertarian types can't see beyond their noses.