What are your realistic expectations of when and how the beaches will re-open?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Just announced today by the mayor.
Surf related because surf photog Zak Noyles (good on him) is one of the principles of EVERY1NEHAWAII who are on a mission to get everyone in hawaii a mask.

Everyone on Oahu who is conducting a business transaction will be required to wear a non-surgical face mask starting Monday, Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell said today.
Caldwell said he will sign this afternoon the amendment to the “stay-at-home, work-from-home” order he issued several weeks ago to help fend off community spread of the coronavirus.
The new mask mandate will include riders and drivers of TheBus and TheHandivan.
Exemptions will include those conducting transactions occurring inside banks or other financial institutions. It will also not apply to people with respiratory or other types of medical issues.
It will not apply to workers working in close proximity to each other if they do not interact with the public, Caldwell said, although he highly recommends that co-workers do wear masks and practice social distancing.
“Everyone should wear a mask, everyone,” Caldwell said.
For purposes of the new order, non-medical masks can be any facial covering, the mayor said. “It could be a scarf, wrap-around or bandana.”
He urged the public not to use N-95 or other types of masks that are needed for those who have the coronavirus, or who interact with those who do.
Violating the mask order would be similar to other misdemeanors under the coronavirus outbreak orders, the mayor said. A judge could impose a maximum penalty of a year in jail, a fine of up to $5,000, or both,
Caldwell said the order will take effect Monday to allow people time to obtain masks.
An organization know as One Hawaii is prepared to provide up to a million masks free to those who need it. Those in need are urged to go to every1nehawaii.com.
The mandatory 14 day quarantine in your hotel room may be expanded through out May. So think about it if you decide to come over. They might even put you on a plane to send you back where you came from.They are really cracking down.

A couple of my co-workers got pulled over this past easter weekend curfew going into work and had to "prove" they were essential workers on sunday to a bunch of angry HPD (maybe because it was sunday).

They pulled the curfew but HPD seems to be losing their patience, so are so some out of work locals with the bad press coming out about violators when everyone is locked up at home.
Two clusters on Maui and a new one in Kona.

The officials are really doing their best to squeeze this down to single digit new cases in order to open up.
They started free public testing around the island to identify hot spots needing followup
We might be the first state in the nation able to open up because of our natural isolation
But when they do expect outsider non-residents coming here to get all kinds of scrutiny to prevent a resurgence.
They may even implement mandatory adherence the new tracking apps for visitors after we open
This will be the nut they have to figure out
allowing tourism and business travel to resume and still controlling the exposure from outsiders or returning residents

It's really looking like there's an end out there on the near horizon if we continue to do our part like we have.

Locals here tend to comply to authority more than elsewhere. Part of our Ohana and Lokahi traditions.
Transplants and visitors don't though and they seem to be the ones getting arrested and fined.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Remember when it was about flattening the curve so as not to overwhelm the hospitals? Now they've moved the goal posts so far that we need to reach nearly zero risk in order be safe to be allowed outside, during curfew, with a mask on, without an approved duty to conduct.

Reactions: bobwarren

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Locals here tend to comply to authority more than elsewhere. Part of our Ohana and Lokahi traditions.
Transplants and visitors don't though and they seem to be the ones getting arrested and fined.
Wish people in California understood that respect for others is part of living in this society.

And I'm a transplant.

Some people who were born here, still didn't assimilate it seems.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
A positive sign
I like this kid mayor on Kauai
Kauai leading the way
bringing life back slowly but masks on everyone over 5

On the other hand, every consumer online banking service and bank call center across the country is currently over capacity with every person in the US looking for their $1200 or $2500 payout. It's going to be like a global DDOS or constant busy signal on the phone so have patience. About a half a dozen SVPs and EVPs spent all night monday and yesterday fixing about 3000 incorrect direct deposit entires to make sure the people got their money today. Not a bad reject percent for over 80,000 received direct deposits from Uncle Sam at just my company.

Spend it wisely folks.

Kauai, Big Isle mayors expand virus measures

Everyone over age 5 on Kauai must wear a cloth face mask during most activities while outside in public to curb the spread of COVID-19, according to a new county mandate.

The new order went into effect Tuesday. Exceptions to the mandate include those exercising, entering a financial institution or using an ATM machine.

The order remains in effect through May 3. Violators face a misdemeanor charge that carries penalties of up to a $5,000 fine and one year in jail.

At a daily briefing, Kauai County Mayor Derek Kawakami said, “As we’ve been emphasizing over the past week, masks are becoming a critical tool in the fight against COVID-19.”

“Because our community has done such a great job at heeding our emergency rules, we have so far been able to keep our number of positive cases low. If we can continue to keep our numbers low and continue to contain community transmission, we want to slowly get people back to work in a way that minimizes risk,” he said.

With the mask mandate in place, Kawakami has announced private construction activities and landscaping maintenance may resume starting today as long as workers adhere to social distancing directives.

Homeowners with existing building permits also may resume work on their residences and be assisted by two individuals. Tools must not be shared, and a hand-washing station is required to be on-site.

Real estate agents with properties in escrow are allowed to close listings. “These individuals must not take any in-person meetings unless to sign documents or view the property, not travel in the same vehicle, not have in-person open houses and only conduct due diligence or contracted activities on a property, ensuring only two persons on-site at a time,” Kawakami said.

Among the state’s counties, Kauai has the lowest number of confirmed cases: 21 as of Tuesday. Of those, 16 individuals have recovered or returned to their homes on the mainland. The five remaining cases are residents, three of whom are in isolation at home, one in isolation at a facility and one remaining in isolation at a hospital.

Kawakami reminded the public to continue practicing social distancing, frequent hand-washing and cleaning shared surfaces.

In addition to the mask mandate, changes have been made to park operations to include closures of all swimming pools, park pavilions and playgrounds. General park areas will remain open as long as the public adheres to social distancing directives.

Five parks — Lucy Wright, Salt Pond, Lydgate, Anahola and Anini — also have been designated to shelter the homeless. County officials will assist the homeless to obtain a free permit for the designated parks.

“This permitting system helps us to meet the needs of our houseless community who must shelter in place while also helping to ensure social distancing for the health and well-being of all,” Kawakami said.

He stressed the permits are not available to anyone under the 14-day mandatory quarantine.

Hawaii County, meanwhile, is asking the state to test all homeless and homeless program staff for COVID-19, according to Sharon Hirota, executive assistant to Mayor Harry Kim. The county is awaiting a response from the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency.

The Big Island had 39 confirmed cases as of Tuesday. Of those, 28 individuals have recovered, and the remaining 11 individuals are quarantined at home.

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
I want to make a few points:

First, I want it on the record that Caca is posting some wack sheet in ominous ways. Like 2years...2022, or school is closed for good. Let's remember this when all those bogus claims don't happen.

Second, my 9 year old kid kid has been homeschooling all his life and my wife is not a trained educator. The kid reads books like nobody's business and significantly ahead of his age group in reading comprehension and this ripples over to overall communication skills. He rips on the piano, been playing 5 years now, is 2 grades ahead in Math, build wooden models and other types of assembly projects that have recommended ages in the teens...should I go on? Homeschool is not the answer for everyone and every kid, my point is STOP generalizing, and recognize that the optimum education is one that is tailored and customized to each individual. This is where homeschool excels.

Third, what does the future workforce look like? Manbearpig touched on this. AI is inevitable, super computers is inevitable. What will always be needed are techs to fix the robots. Tradespeople to repair toilets, rotten wood decks etc. And I would argue the biggest thing humans will always have on AI is creativity. As more and more things are automated, the creativity of humans will become our saving grace and the thing other humans will admire the most about our species. The modern school system and educational instituions are not about fostering creativity. This is something I am striving for in my son's upbringing.

Lastly, the COVID-19 virus attacks old and immune comprimised people. Meaning, if your immune system sucks, it tries to kick into overdrive and that is what is so catastrophic for the younger demographic who is considered "at-risk". Do you hear the health experts advocating immune system building? No, they advocate social distancing, gloves, masks, etc which does the complete opposite. The healthcare sytem is about sick care and this is backed by big pharma who has lots of $$$ and control and power.

Either we need to demand a stop to all this madness, or we will continue to comply through our silence and obedience.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Remember when it was about flattening the curve so as not to overwhelm the hospitals? Now they've moved the goal posts so far that we need to reach nearly zero risk in order be safe to be allowed outside, during curfew, with a mask on, without an approved duty to conduct.
Guess what? They lied.

Fuck this. Stop complying.

It’s the only way.

”Slowing the spread“ isnt “stopping the spread” it’s just prolonging the pain.

Time to rip the bandaid off.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I saw people in my town today cycling together, jogging together, walking their dogs together.

These twats in office think we all go to the beach to play beach blanket bingo. I go straight to the beach solo, suit up and surf by myself and then split.

I have just as much a right to go get exercise in the ocean as any of the aforementioned above. I can even play the therapeutic / spiritual card - which is true.

The powers at be will have their hands full if they think millions of people are going to stay away from the beaches once the weather warms up. We gonna have another Kent State on our hands? I just had a text that 25 are organizing a surf one day this weekend. Just wait till the first legit swell rolls around.

San Diego has 60 confirmed deaths.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Err,
you keep living until you too, die?

By the way, my Mom died at age 51, of a brain aneurysm in '94, bio-father od'd on heroin in '05,
and my Dad died in '08 from cancer problems. Life goes on, go + live it, enjoy it before yours ends too...
:drowning:
yeah i went to 3 shivas and a funeral in the month prior to lock down. Random Guy insisted i didn't have to attend his mother's services, (i tried not to take it personally) . i vaguely remember feeling so sad for my Friends who had just lost a parent, but then BAM covid hits and like all mourning and realistic perspective on death among the aging and/or unwell population became moot as Covhysteria swept the world, Like Random guy's mother, all of the "pre-covid" deaths are basically going unmourned, or those loved ones are mourning privately without the normal outpouring of "in-person" support from their friends and family because now the only thing happening is nothing, except hunkering down at home and spraying everything with Lysol and washing hands 27,0000 times per day

Last edited:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I like this solution
corral up the herd immunity folks and start drawing their blood just like the cattle they are.
inject all the health workers for temporary immunity

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>