What are your realistic expectations of when and how the beaches will re-open?

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
They’re still some open here, but probably not for long - lots a fuckin idiots coming down from out of the area, crowds at a couple spots 3-4x the max crowd I’ve ever seen. Total sh!t show. Cops driving around giving people warnings. Fucking morons.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
fall 2021
I think you might be right, but if true they'll neve reopen for lack of students. There won't be a single student left in this state at that point. The families will all leave or those that've gotten used to homeschooling will keep doing it.

Enrollment was already headed downward before this.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
I think you might be right, but if true they'll neve reopen for lack of students. There won't be a single student left in this state at that point. The families will all leave or those that've gotten used to homeschooling will keep doing it.

the kids will be back; they need each other.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep

Except that somewhere along the way here school has become a social safety net. Food, shelter, clothes, and a safe/positive environment for many kids. Right or wrong, this is for the have-nots, who need school to become at least semi-productive members of society. Autoprax said something to the effect as well, homeschooling is like a bandaid on a sucking chest wound. It doesn't come close to providing what kids need, especially for the little ones. Not sure how it could look for older/high school /college kids.
And, at least where I teach, the parents are not capable of it, day in and day out. Unless they are professionally trained as a teacher or/and are independently wealthy to stay at home. Not a large part of Americuh! Plus, they just want the damn kids out of the house.
I'm already looking towards next school year when a new crop of 1st graders, who will have missed a large chunk of Kindergarden, coming in with lower academic, social, and emotional skills. Plus the stress induced by this event.
School will definitely look different. Hopefully smaller class sizes, help for janitorial/cafeteria staff, more parent involvement..