What are your realistic expectations of when and how the beaches will re-open?

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Are some beaches closed? :drowning:
Just inked a deal with some investors for a surf camp in your zone. The County is giving us a big tax credit because we'll be employing people to manage the housing/food set-up and we've already booked out the first 2 months with NSSA groms that home school and surf all day.

I was hoping you might be interested in giving tours of the local breaks for the guests?

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
9am cutoff and 6pm restart would be the call. Maybe even no evening hours. Conversely, shoot-on-sight authorization for anyone holding an alcoholic beverage not on their private patio/balcony East of A1A.
I can't support this platform as currently stated - though perhaps there is some unique regional fuckery happening East of A1A?

I'm calling for a nationwide relaxing of the drinking in public laws, in addition to some wildly reduced regulations for restaurants to create outdoor seating in as haphazard a fashion as possible. As we move into warmer weather I think we need to throw the restaurant industry a shot at survival that includes more than the ability to allow only 2.3 patrons to sit down in their establishment at one time.

Reactions: mundus and Subway

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I can't support this platform as currently stated - though perhaps there is some unique regional fuckery happening East of A1A?

I'm calling for a nationwide relaxing of the drinking in public laws, in addition to some wildly reduced regulations for restaurants to create outdoor seating in as haphazard a fashion as possible. As we move into warmer weather I think we need to throw the restaurant industry a shot at survival that includes more than the ability to allow only 2.3 patrons to sit down in their establishment at one time.
Every where besides NY NJ, it is still pretty bad there.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
CNN = not your friend.
It's not the Pier that's the problem actually. It's not crowded there. I mean, I saw all the same crews way up each other's asses, zero spreading out, paddling sections down, the usual idiocy, but no throngs of surfers.

It's the throngs of dumbfck beach loiterers. I saw almost zero people exercising alone. I saw tons of people wearing fancy sh!t, or smelling of their stinky cologne/perfume, from blocks away, taking group selfies.

The beach is not quite 4th/Memorial/Labor Day crowded, and for 6:30pm, it's HILARIOUSLY more crowded than normal. Parking down side streets is a summertime weekend thing. The 1st lots are slap full, the side spots on 2nd, 90% occupancy easy, with cars of obvious townies driving around looking for parking 3-4 to a car, not in exercise gear.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

I agree about the restaurants not the drinking in public laws. I'm sorry but the obnoxious drunk factor is off the charts as it is.

So I was walking up the street at like 5:05. I can see the boardwalk over the dune to the beach from hundreds of yards away. There's a group of people loitering on the walkover, multiple other groups passing them, say 6' wide boardwalk. It takes me a few minutes to walk to the beach, but not to go up and down the stairs over the dune. Some drunk and his toilet are parking (beachfront lots already jam packed with people) and he makes some stupid comment. I can smell the alcohol from the sidewalk; probably got that filth's Rona. Anywho to avoid the imbeciles loitering on the boardwalk, there's a sandpath through the dunes as well. I follow one of the groups that's going onto the beach, already disgusted. In jeans and flats and polos and sh!t, hair all gelled up, hoop earings, chunky gaudy designer sunglasses. They stop before they've cleared the narrower path and form up to take fckng selfies.

Shitloads of people walking, passing within 6 feet of other groups of people. By the hundreds. Had to wait for a break in foot traffic to not get within 6 feet of multiple groups of people just going from the boardwalk to the water. Nobody fishing was wet-wading. They were all in groups right in the way of everyone walking.

Surfing was dreamy. Rusty, and it was only setting up well right on the top of the tide, but joyous.

Walking back, some drunk trash had hauled a bench out into the sidewalk on 2nd Street, and were sitting there drinking. Multiple other lawn chairs in the sidewalk, drunk owners in or nearby. Impossible to use the sidewalk because people want to drink in it. Other groups of people having impromptu circular chats, generally in sidewalk intersections. For some reason this can't happen in their lawn, or on their porch, or anywhere but the sidewalk anyone jogging or walking belongs on, some of them in groups of more than 10, all within 2-3 feet of multiple people, an hour after the beach is opened again.

There are low-key fishing spots, you can walk or bike anywhere, you can drink anywhere, you can leave your dogshit anywhere, you can take selfies anywhere.

Surfing is the one thing that you can ONLY do at the beach here.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I agree about the restaurants not the drinking in public laws. I'm sorry but the obnoxious drunk factor is off the charts as it is.

So I was walking up the street at like 5:05. I can see the boardwalk over the dune to the beach from hundreds of yards away. There's a group of people loitering on the walkover, multiple other groups passing them, say 6' wide boardwalk. It takes me a few minutes to walk to the beach, but not to go up and down the stairs over the dune. Some drunk and his toilet are parking (beachfront lots already jam packed with people) and he makes some stupid comment. I can smell the alcohol from the sidewalk; probably got that filth's Rona. Anywho to avoid the imbeciles loitering on the boardwalk, there's a sandpath through the dunes as well. I follow one of the groups that's going onto the beach, already disgusted. In jeans and flats and polos and sh!t, hair all gelled up, hoop earings, chunky gaudy designer sunglasses. They stop before they've cleared the narrower path and form up to take fckng selfies.

Shitloads of people walking, passing within 6 feet of other groups of people. By the hundreds. Had to wait for a break in foot traffic to not get within 6 feet of multiple groups of people just going from the boardwalk to the water. Nobody fishing was wet-wading. They were all in groups right in the way of everyone walking.

Surfing was dreamy. Rusty, and it was only setting up well right on the top of the tide, but joyous.

Walking back, some drunk trash had hauled a bench out into the sidewalk on 2nd Street, and were sitting there drinking. Multiple other lawn chairs in the sidewalk, drunk owners in or nearby. Impossible to use the sidewalk because people want to drink in it. Other groups of people having impromptu circular chats, generally in sidewalk intersections. For some reason this can't happen in their lawn, or on their porch, or anywhere but the sidewalk anyone jogging or walking belongs on, some of them in groups of more than 10, all within 2-3 feet of multiple people, an hour after the beach is opened again.

There are low-key fishing spots, you can walk or bike anywhere, you can drink anywhere, you can leave your dogshit anywhere, you can take selfies anywhere.

That sounds like absolute f*cking hell.

Aside from the very occasional (less than 5%) time I surf with a friend, I surf alone. I don't want to see or hear anyone else in the water, on the sand, in the lot, etc. This may change, though, if I move/surf somewhere that is sharky. Things were different when I was younger but nowadays, I am always surrounded by people and surfing (hiking too) is a rare chance I have for solitude and peace. One of the reasons I prefer evening sessions to morning ones. It gets less crowded as the session goes on, not more, and I will surf into the night until I am satisfied.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That sounds like absolute f*cking hell.

Aside from the very occasional (less than 5%) time I surf with a friend, I surf alone. I don't want to see or hear anyone else in the water, on the sand, in the lot, etc. This may change, though, if I move/surf somewhere that is sharky. Things were different when I was younger but nowadays, I am always surrounded by people and surfing (hiking too) is a rare chance I have for solitude and peace. One of the reasons I prefer evening sessions to morning ones. It gets less crowded as the session goes on, not more, and I will surf into the night until I am satisfied.
I mean by and large it was the same crews together. I highly doubt their groups were distancing among themselves anyway, and it was nowhere near as bad as everyone else. I looked at all the social media posts and it mirrored what I saw. The few specs in the water are an afterthought. It's everybody else not surfing.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge

OK that is grim.

I am adding a new plank to my platform, while maintaining the previous two planks.

We - the Western States Pact - will be awarding Beanbag Shotguns to pre screened individuals to help encourage social distancing and to discourage douchebaggery.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
OK that is grim.

I am adding a new plank to my platform, while maintaining the previous two planks.

We - the Western States Pact - will be awarding Beanbag Shotguns to pre screened individuals to help encourage social distancing and to discourage douchebaggery.
Will the beanbags be full of rat sh*t?

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I mean by and large it was the same crews together. I highly doubt their groups were distancing among themselves anyway, and it was nowhere near as bad as everyone else. I looked at all the social media posts and it mirrored what I saw. The few specs in the water are an afterthought. It's everybody else not surfing.
Yeah, I guess I was very fortunate/spoiled as a kid in VC when it was rare for me to see anyone within a mile of me in the water with no sounds except the waves and well, me, cussing at getting caught inside by another 50-wave set after getting within 20 feet of the damn lineup. Aside from that, it was practically Thoreauvian. No one on the sand, no one I saw walking to the beach at dawn, etc.

And then there's Oceanside and La Jolla where you have a bunch of riff-raff cruising, blasting music, etc. Kind of detracts from the serenity of surfing.

That action you describe in Florida... oh hell no.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Full Karenbiscuit but I looked to be like the only person with any consideration for staying 10-15 feet away from people. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm not engaging in a commercial transaction with you in the name of working/middle class people who NEED income, I can put some effort into spacing out. Been hopping off the sidewalk all the time to pass pedestrians while jogging. Bellying out of bike lane on bike to keep it further from pedestrians or cyclists I'm overtaking.

I mean I went to the bike shop this week. Wash hands, don't touch face, walk 2 blocks without touching face, use sanitizer at keypad, try not to get within 6 feet of people. Other customers on phone talking loud pacing through main walkway in store. One dude there to buy something, his buddy just taking up space. Walk home dump product out of container without touching, toss container wash hands.

Did I mention absolutely zero masks seen?

Reactions: Kento

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It'll be done by Monday at the latest imho. Just too many alcoholics. I see it jogging on First Street. I am jogging faster than people cycling because "exercise" involves going fck slow on a beach cruiser with a drink in a group of 4+ people. Probably 15# worth of bitch t!ts hanging off my chest, spare tire hiding my cock from myself and drooping over my ass that you could rock crawl the side of the Grand damn Canyon with.

9am cutoff and 6pm restart would be the call. Maybe even no evening hours. Conversely, shoot-on-sight authorization for anyone holding an alcoholic beverage not on their private patio/balcony East of A1A.
I reallllly hope we don't fuck this up!

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
It's not the Pier that's the problem actually. It's not crowded there. I mean, I saw all the same crews way up each other's asses, zero spreading out, paddling sections down, the usual idiocy, but no throngs of surfers.

It's the throngs of dumbfck beach loiterers. I saw almost zero people exercising alone. I saw tons of people wearing fancy sh!t, or smelling of their stinky cologne/perfume, from blocks away, taking group selfies.

The beach is not quite 4th/Memorial/Labor Day crowded, and for 6:30pm, it's HILARIOUSLY more crowded than normal. Parking down side streets is a summertime weekend thing. The 1st lots are slap full, the side spots on 2nd, 90% occupancy easy, with cars of obvious townies driving around looking for parking 3-4 to a car, not in exercise gear.
If the townies start fucking this up, I'd be cool with requiring a 32250, 32266 or 32233 driver's license to access the beach for the time being if it means the beach stays open as it is now.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
If the townies start fucking this up, I'd be cool with requiring a 32250, 32266 or 32233 driver's license to access the beach for the time being if it means the beach stays open as it is now.
It's funny you mention that. Different coasts and all that but I have to wonder if this will usher in a new era of localism.

Reactions: paunch23